SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Thoughts on Smith & Wesson® M&P® 15-22 Sport .22 LR Semiautomatic Rifles
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thoughts on Smith & Wesson® M&P® 15-22 Sport .22 LR Semiautomatic Rifles Login/Join 
posted
I mainly shoot pistols and shotguns. I have several 22lr rifles as well. I have shot several ARs on occasion but never purchased one. I like the cost of 22 ammo as well. Is starting with this particular rifle good as a training tool to eventually move up to a higher caliber such as .556 or .223?

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great. Best of the Tactical .22s IMHO.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Yes.

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
I just picked up a M&P 15-22 a few months ago on sale I only had it out a couple times. So far I like it. They are easy to mount a red dot to make for a magnificent plinker. Mine only came with one magazine but extra 25 rd magazines were only $19.99.

Posts: 2675 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Only thing that has held me back is Appleseed banned them for firing out of battery and they haven't been reinstated.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have two—scope and red dot. They’re reliable. Weight though is not like an AR-15. For that reason wish I would have went with a dedicated (not conversion) model like CMMG to better mimic service rifle weight and some components, but that of course is a much different price point than the M&P 15-22.

Posts: 607 | Location: Washington State | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:

Yep.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any reason to get the Performance version rather than the standard?

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Any reason to get the Performance version rather than the standard?

Not really. Let’s be honest, it’s a .22lr, not exactly a precision rifle in this application (there are other rifles that fit in that niché if that’s what you’re after), instead this is more of a plinker.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shoevb
posted Hide Post
I own two. They are really fun guns. Mine have been very reliable with no issues at all. They aren't precision rifles but still accurate enough. Magazines are not too expensive. As someone else mentioned, they are light.

Posts: 1215 | Location: Hampton Roads | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
another 'Yes' vote

just an all-around fun, 'accessorizable' plinker / trainer

as mentioned - mags are common and affordable

-------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
Never used one, but a friend of mine owns one and swears by it.

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Completely agree, love mine, shoots anything, put lots of bulk through it. Mags are cheap too.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: xanth,

Posts: 759 | Location: Athol, ID | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 19tass
posted Hide Post
Recently had an opportunity to shoot a friend's. Now on my "must have" list! :-)

Posts: 1204 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: November 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigSauerFan:
Weight though is not like an AR-15.

Depends upon the AR. I didn't set out to do this, but I ended up building an AR that's so light you can't tell which is the AR-15 and which is the 15-22, holding them by the barrels with your eyes closed. I've had people try Smile

Once I upgrade the trigger and stock on the 15-22, and match the optics, there'll really be little handling difference between them, other than the handguard.

The 15-22 did have some issues. Some say that was just the early ones. Don't know. E.g.: M&P 15-22 banned from Appleseed shoots

I've never heard of a recall by S&W, so I have to believe these were anomalies.

I will say this: I bought a 15-22 on the rave reviews I read here on SF. My experience has been the same as everybody's here: They are a hoot to shoot Smile

I haven't had all that many rounds down mine, but it's never hiccuped.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all of you. I will most likely acquire one in the near future.

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigSauerFan:
Have two—scope and red dot. They’re reliable. Weight though is not like an AR-15. For that reason wish I would have went with a dedicated (not conversion) model like CMMG to better mimic service rifle weight and some components, but that of course is a much different price point than the M&P 15-22.

When I bought mine years ago, I thought I would add Golfer's lead tape fore and aft to make it closer to a real AR in weight.

That never happened. It just made me want a truly lightweight real AR.

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
The one I have is awesome. I stuck a Steiner 1-4 scope on it and installed an ALG ACT trigger with the 4lb spring.

Palmetto State Armory had mags for $12.99 so now I have quite a few.

Super popular in our 22 Rimfire Challenge matches.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8339 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
I just ordered one from PSA yesterday for $299. At that price, I couldn’t say no. I’m going to drop a binary in it and blast away and giggle.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:

Yep.

^^^^^^^^
Yep x 2. I took mine to a multi-day Appleseed shoot. It was flawless and accurate.

Posts: 12436 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post