SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Need opinions! Time for new 1-4 optics, narrowed it down to 2.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need opinions! Time for new 1-4 optics, narrowed it down to 2. Login/Join 
posted
Okay, time for optics for my Bren 805 Carbine. Mount is already handled, went with the Seekins MXM. Looking for a "combat grade" all around optic. Narrowed it down to two choices:

Question:
Which 1-4?

Choices:
Steiner P4Xi 1-4x24
Trijcon RS24-C-1900006

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 964 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
RS24-C-1900006

I owned a RS24-C-1900001 (MOA reticle in Green) and I liked it a lot. Used it in a 1 day / 600rd carbine class where the rifle took a tumble on the optic with only cosmetic damage. Also shot 4 hogs in 30 seconds with it on my SCAR 16. So its a very nice, usable optic. For the price the glass is nice and its a well made Japanese manufactured Trijicon optic.

However the illumination isn't daylight and over time I wished the non-illuminated portion of the reticle was bolder to drive you eye to the center. The horizontal and vertical lines are kind of thin and stop about halfway to the edge of the FOV. I tried the Vortex PST Gen 2 1-6x24, which has lines to the edge and eventually sold the AccuPower off after giving them both a fair shake.

Also, I was shipped the wrong scope the first time - I received the BDC reticle in a demo box by accident. I considered keeping it but was glad I returned it for the MOA version - I just preferred that MOA reticle.

I haven't looked through a Steiner but I've considered it several times. It seems to get a good reviews and has a bright illuminated dot.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks RHINOWSO!

Anyone have any other input?

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 964 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
I like the Trijicon better. Ive onwed both and currently stillown the PX4i, but only because the price weas too good to pass up.

Neither are bad, but he Trijicon was well built and the glass was cleaerer to my eye. The first PX4i I received the glass was so terrible I had to send it back. The repacemtn was noiticably better. I had the Steiner Military 1-4 and it was superb....if it didnt weigh 2lbs id still own it today. I honestly wouldnt consider the PX4i "combat grade"

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Go with the Trijicon. I own the model you're looking at- circle/dot, red. It seems to me that Steiner scopes have gotten awfully cheap lately. The clarity of the image of the Trijicon Accupower 1-4 seems to be head and shoulders above scopes in the same price range.

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
orareyougladtoseeme
Picture of isthatasiginyourpocket
posted Hide Post
I went back and forth over the Steiner, Trijicon and Vortex. I thought the glass on the Steiner was as good as any of the 3, what sold me was the illuminated reticle. I like red dots but wanted a little magnification. The Steiner has a simple illuminated red dot that is very bright and works great on a sunny day.

You can't go wrong with either.

Posts: 2547 | Location: MN | Registered: March 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I found a great deal on the Steiner the other day so I ordered one. I'm still working on finding a good deal on the Trijicon so I can run them both side by side. Good news is I can't really lose, I'll just put the Trijicon on the Bren and the Steiner on a lesser AR.

IDPA ESP SS

Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Go with the Trijicon. I own the model you're looking at- circle/dot, red. It seems to me that Steiner scopes have gotten awfully cheap lately. The clarity of the image of the Trijicon Accupower 1-4 seems to be head and shoulders above scopes in the same price range.

From what I've seen and heard the M or military series Steiner scopes are as good as ever and competitive with the best. Steiner's lesser lines seem to been the ones that suffer from the bulk of the complaints that I've seen and heard. Having said that, I just purchased a Kahles K16i 1-6 variable for my new SIG 751 SAPR and I think it's my favorite piece of glass that I currently own.

Based upon what I've seen and my experience with my own ACOG, I'd probably recommend the Trijicon as well. Trijicon seems to have amazing glass for their price point, and I've heard lots of great things about that particular optic in its own right.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5562 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lt CHEG:
quote:

From what I've seen and heard the M or military series Steiner scopes are as good as ever and competitive with the best. Steiner's lesser lines seem to been the ones that suffer from the bulk of the complaints that I've seen and heard. Having said that, I just purchased a Kahles K16i 1-6 variable for my new SIG 751 SAPR and I think it's my favorite piece of glass that I currently own.

Based upon what I've seen and my experience with my own ACOG, I'd probably recommend the Trijicon as well. Trijicon seems to have amazing glass for their price point, and I've heard lots of great things about that particular optic in its own right.

The K16 was hands down my favorite optic when I was testing various 1-5 and 1-6 optics(7 in total). really jsut lost out on cost. Ended up going with a Leupold VX6.

You are correct in reagrds to the Steiner, my Military 1-4 had pristine glass which is why I think I was rather disappointed with the P4Xi

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just purchased a Kahles K16i 1-6 variable for my new SIG 751 SAPR and I think it's my favorite piece of glass that I currently own.
I've got one of those as well. Now you're running with the big dogs. Very high quality. Of course, the K16i is a 2000+ dollar scope, compared to the sub-1000 dollar scopes being discussed in this thread.

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
I just purchased a Kahles K16i 1-6 variable for my new SIG 751 SAPR and I think it's my favorite piece of glass that I currently own.
I've got one of those as well. Now you're running with the big dogs. Very high quality. Of course, the K16i is a 2000+ dollar scope, compared to the sub-1000 dollar scopes being discussed in this thread.

While I have no doubt the Kahles is top of the food chain, I can't box in that price arena. Maybe if I only had a few rifles maybe I could take the plunge on an optic of that caliber, but it's just the economics of scale for me at this point.

IDPA ESP SS

With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JonDaddy82:
quote:
quote:

While I have no doubt the Kahles is top of the food chain, I can't box in that price arena. Maybe if I only had a few rifles maybe I could take the plunge on an optic of that caliber, but it's just the economics of scale for me at this point.

Id rather have fewer rifles with better glass. Id suggest adding the Leupold VX5 to your list. Its the same glass/components as the VX6 I use. When you factor in the variables of weight, length, glass quality,FOV at min/max power, features, the Leupold was a prety easy choice. The illumintaion is daylight bright and the CDS system to me is head ans shoulders better than the ranging reticle systems where theyre only accuarta at a certain power. The glass is outstanding, even better if you factor the price range of 675.00. Almost 4in of eye relief. Lightweight to boot. No hasssle warranty. Not saying there isnt a better option, but you 'll have to spend a lot more to get little in return.

Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Very interesting. I have the P4xi on my wife’s MP 15-22 and like it very much.

However, I need another for my serious rifles. That Trijicon and Leupold look good.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8339 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WARPIG602:
Id rather have fewer rifles with better glass.

Not an issue there really. I have a VCOG on my SCAR 17, an Aimpoint Micro on my SCAR 16, and a pile of Aimpoint Micro's on most everything else. A little splattering of Vortex, Burris, Leupold, and Nikon scopes here and there as well. I put some Holosun's on some non-serious plinkers and they seem to work well.

IDPA ESP SS

Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

You are 100% right sir, it's a hella piece of glass- big league in every way. I was more or less referring to how favorably the Kahles compares to a Steiner of equal or greater price - I'd pick the Kahles over the Steiner M5xi and the Steiner actually cost a hair more. I definitely agree with the group consensus though and that's that the Trijicon is awfully tough to beat in the price range that it competes in.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5562 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Update!

Steiner has shipped, and coupled with an Aero Precision mount should make a worthy companion on my new el-cheap Ruger MPR. Trijicon was ordered from OpticsPlanet after some serious price match emailing, and applying a promo OpticsPlanet gift card I had from another old order coupled with free shipping. Will be sitting on the Bren in a Seekins MXM mount.

IDPA ESP SS