SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    SIG SG 553
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SIG SG 553 Login/Join 
posted
Hey all, new member here.

I’m looking to pickup a Sig 553P either from the private market or order one through JDI. However, I’ve never handled one mostly due to the rarity. I’m use to ARs, AKs and I just picked up a Bren 2 11” pistol in 5.56.

How does the 553 compare in weight, handling and ergos to the AR platform? I’m not terribly concerned about accuracy since it will be a 9” pistol. I’m debating on selling a SLR107FR and a CZ Scorpion to help fund the purchase but I don’t want any regrets. The CZ is easily replaceable but the SLR not so much. However, that’s hard to say without having the 553 in hand prior to selling anything in the collection.

From everything I’ve read, these are extremely reliable and well worth the coin. Unfortunately, there is nothing yo handle first hand prior to purchase.

This will be left in pistol form with a brace, if that matters

Thank you

Posts: 20 | Registered: May 10, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
It’s heavier than an AR. Handling is kinda hard to say, everyone’s different but I like it as a lefty with an ak style charge and ambi safety. I really like the trigger but you have to know what’s going on. Plunger behind it and once you get used to it I think it’s an excellent design. Grip is fine handguard small. They are very solid feeling I’d say. It screams high quality and precision manufacturing. I believe there are some aluminum lowers now that lighten em a little. Can’t tell you it’s worth it or not as it’s not cheap but ain’t no AR. Different world. But honestly it’s not doing much an AR won’t do either. Just might outlast most other things. Probably more reliable and durable in super harsh conditions. And they aren’t as ready for lights lasers can openers and other stuff on the front end. There are rails but they are expensive and heavy I think and limited compared to an AR.
I really like the Swiss stock so you’d be missing out on that if you brace but not a big deal. Mags are nice but expensive. I love the Swiss guns but it’s more about cool factor for me. An 800 dollar AR will do everything it does and probably more.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6957 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Slippery Pete:
It’s heavier than an AR. Handling is kinda hard to say, everyone’s different but I like it as a lefty with an ak style charge and ambi safety. I really like the trigger but you have to know what’s going on. Plunger behind it and once you get used to it I think it’s an excellent design. Grip is fine handguard small. They are very solid feeling I’d say. It screams high quality and precision manufacturing. I believe there are some aluminum lowers now that lighten em a little. Can’t tell you it’s worth it or not as it’s not cheap but ain’t no AR. Different world. But honestly it’s not doing much an AR won’t do either. Just might outlast most other things. Probably more reliable and durable in super harsh conditions. And they aren’t as ready for lights lasers can openers and other stuff on the front end. There are rails but they are expensive and heavy I think and limited compared to an AR.
I really like the Swiss stock so you’d be missing out on that if you brace but not a big deal. Mags are nice but expensive. I love the Swiss guns but it’s more about cool factor for me. An 800 dollar AR will do everything it does and probably more.

Thanks Pete

I appreciate your feedback and detailed comparison. I understand this will be a completely different feel in ergonomics and balance, but I’m just trying to compare it to something, as I have nothing to go off of.

I’m not too concerned about attachments, i have other pistols/rifles for that. I’d be leaving this in it’s most original form but might add an optic at most.

You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
Sure thing.

I think you’ll enjoy it. The finish kinda reminds me of an original Galil, and the build quality in some way. It’s tight, and substantial and feels overbuilt. They shoot very smooth. The action is very smooth. A lot of guys here have 550 series stuff so I’m sure they’ll be along to describe it better than me. I had a 552 for a while and still have a 556 sbr.

I would kill for a Swiss gun again and I’m sure I’ll get another couple one day, just had so much in it I was able to get the 556 pistol and plenty of other stuff. I liked the 556p used the 553 operating system vs the 552 which was showing to have some issues. Man it was a sweet day when I brought it home though. I spent years wanting one and the 556 guns allowed some guys to piece together parts kits on the recievers. It was a dream come true. Now there’s a lot more out there. It’s a very high quality item.

Posts: 6957 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
Come to think of it I think about the closest thing I could compare it to just by feel is a Galil ace pistol. Sorta. It has that “will survive nuclear apocalypse toughness” feel to it.

Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
I think the best way for you to get the feel of a SiG 553 is to find someone that has any of the SiG 55X type rifles ... I've not handled an ACE so I can't comment to that.

The first thing I noticed when shooting my first 556 was the really nice 2-stage feeling trigger, right out of the box. Next the lack of muzzel rise, its more of a nudge straight back ... then I realized, there was no twang in the stock as there is no buffer/spring in the stock ... solid and over built, definitely.

Its sad that SiG Exter (USA) ignored their customer base for so long, that when they did finally bring the 556 to market they rushed and cut corners, and on top of that, they didn't give us what they showed us was coming;a heavy fish-gill looking handguard and tried to make it AR like with a collapsing stock. When they did finally get it cosmetically right, they had run off so many customers with poor quality and broken promises, they lost market share.

Still, I've got almost every 55X I've bought, even the first generation 556 with a canted receiver, and I still enjoy shooting it with a scope.

In a way, the 55X reminds me of my gen 1 CZ 805 Bren as it has that same solid overbuilt quality feel.

The 553, when you pull the charge handle back, there is no gritty feeling or even feel the coils of the spring dragging ... its like the CZ Bren, like pulling it through butter. This is a big failure of the 556.

Pete mentioned the lack of accessory rails however when I got my 553, there was the traditional option of diopter sight or receiver top picitinny rail, I went the traditional route because if you want to add a scope you can get either a SiG scope mount(wich are rare and expensive) or a much more common and economical route, get the B&T made picitinny rail that fits in place of the traditional scope mount (of which I also have).
The 553 can also be equipped with a quad-rail if you feel the need to add a can opener or toaster Wink I do have a quad-rail that I found on Gunbroker but they aren't cheap either. I used it to mount a bipod on as its feels more solid than mounting the bipod to the plastic handguard. The quad rail also adds a bit weight, not so much the rail itself, but all the stuff you hang on it. I found myself putting covers over the side rails as I didn't have anything but the bipod on it. Removing the covers and bipod took a little over a pound off.

I don't want to turn this into an TEOTWAWKA thread, but unlike with an AR, if you hear of a SiG 55X part breaking, its rare. All in all, both my P556 and P553 are SBR'd and I consider them my "Go-to weapons" If I had to bug out I'd take one and give my wife one.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Slippery Pete:
Sure thing.

I think you’ll enjoy it. The finish kinda reminds me of an original Galil, and the build quality in some way. It’s tight, and substantial and feels overbuilt. They shoot very smooth. The action is very smooth. A lot of guys here have 550 series stuff so I’m sure they’ll be along to describe it better than me. I had a 552 for a while and still have a 556 sbr.

I would kill for a Swiss gun again and I’m sure I’ll get another couple one day, just had so much in it I was able to get the 556 pistol and plenty of other stuff. I liked the 556p used the 553 operating system vs the 552 which was showing to have some issues. Man it was a sweet day when I brought it home though. I spent years wanting one and the 556 guns allowed some guys to piece together parts kits on the recievers. It was a dream come true. Now there’s a lot more out there. It’s a very high quality item.

I use to have an original Preban Galil in 308 which was an Action Arms import. Although I never fired it, it did scream “overbuilt” and the action was super smooth. That was a very sweet rifle.
From what I’ve gathered so far, I have no doubt the 553 is built to an exceptionally high standard.

I was looking at building one through parts available from JDI but it seems to cost the same amount or even more than just ordering one, which I think is the best option.

Another thing is Swiss mags seem to be non existent and cost as much as some mildly rare AK mags. Might have to pickup a couple at a time. I know that they offer a NATO lower that accepts standard M4 mags which I think is a great option. However, that really takes away from the nostalgia aesthetically.

You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
Yeah I priced out their builds in the past and seemed like it matched up dollar for dollar or was more expensive than just ordering one.

So if you had an IMI gun somehow my mind puts the Sig in a similar category. I would say the Sigs blow it away though and is smoother for sure.

Yeah Sig mags are pricey. Can’t comment on availability currently but there should be guys here that can find em. There’s been 3-4 places for years and I imagine jdi has increased that.

I haven’t had the 553 in hand but if it has a fat barrel like my p556 then it’s Genna be piggy. I think it would be great for full auto. Unnecessary for S/A but plays back to the overbuilt theme.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Slippery Pete,

Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
One of my favorite rifles.

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3582 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
I own three of them. They're more fun to shoot than my AR's for some reason, even if that mags are more expensive.

Posts: 3065 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You will not regret getting one! They are superb in every way. There is just something sophisticated about it. It IS Swiss, after all!!! Mine is set up exactly like the one Andyb is showing in his post. The balance of the 553 is better for me than my ARs. As some have pointed out, mags are not cheap. They come in 20 and 30 rd capacities (and also supposedly in 5 rd which I've never seen in person). One final note, the 553 can be had with a rail instead of a diopter rear sight. I went the diopter route.

Posts: 2007 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I owned the rifle Sig put out, the 551 classic or whatever it was called.

I had the opportunity to handle a real one, I sold mine soon after.

The original is amazing, something I want to own one day.

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 2505 | Location: FL | Registered: May 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Like them a little.

posted Hide Post
Post above mine wins

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 2505 | Location: FL | Registered: May 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
I have 550 envy

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3582 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
OP

as a Sig 552 owner go for it!

Nothing beats a Swiss 55x.

HK Ag

Posts: 3494 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks to everyone who has posted. I really appreciate the information and expertise given on this platform. In today’s age, the 55x series is in a world full of modular weapon systems but there is just something iconic and elegant about the 55x that I just cannot overlook.

I found a 553P on gunbroker and will share the link. This is a 2014 Mfg and I’d like to have both the diopter rear and Pic top rail if that’s possible. I do see JDI lists a Pic diopter but wow it’s expensive! Or am I better Off ordering a diopter build from JDI and add the pic top rail later, might be cheaper all together?

Is there something that a new MFG gun today would have that a 2014 MFG wouldn’t?

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/867561874

You all are making the decision very easy!!

Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
The diopters are welded so really its one or the other. There are Sig rail mounts that work with the diopters.

Mine is a 2014 import. Only difference is Sig was the importer. Good to go.

Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Just choose which way you want to shoot; irons or optics. I ran a B&T rail on my diopter gun with an Aimpoint and it sucked LOL. Too busy of a sight picture. Same optic on my railed 553 rocks.

Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
I just noticed I haven't taken a "family pic" since I got the 550 ... the only 2 SiG's I've sold is the 556R and 522 carbine ... only because I have their SBR'd counterparts and a friend wanted them after they'd gone out of production.

But you can pretend its in there ...

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post