SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    SIG SG 553
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SIG SG 553 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimberkid:
I just noticed I haven't taken a "family pic" since I got the 550 ... the only 2 SiG's I've sold is the 556R and 522 carbine ... only because I have their SBR'd counterparts and a friend wanted them after they'd gone out of production.

But you can pretend its in there ...

Damn nice collection!

Looks like you have some NATO lowers as well. Which do you prefer?

Posts: 20 | Registered: May 10, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:
Like them a little.

How do you feel about adopting?

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
That's what got me into this mess. I just adopted a 551 railed complete upper that arrives today. :-P

Posts: 3062 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LOL. I love the 550 series, I just can't justify the cost.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
They don't really lose value so while I get it, there's not much risk. I put my deposit on a PE90 that JDI is bringing in....I'll probably move the black 550 when that happens.

posted Hide Post
PGT, that’s a very nice collection! I’m lusting after just one but your collection is a dream out of reach! LOL

How does the SB brace compare to the Swiss stock? I cannot SBR in my state unfortunately and am leaning towards the SB brace.

Also, I found a M&M import 2013 MFG 553P that is chambered in 223. Did SAN later change to chambering in 556? I’m assuming the 223 can’t shoot the 556.

Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
thanks...the brace works ok but had to shorten the SB tube to get LOP shorter than the stock. With the new triangle folder brace, I might just run that instead.

posted Hide Post
Truly the classiest of rifles. I will own a real one someday.

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 2505 | Location: FL | Registered: May 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a SAN 553 LB with the AR mag lower and its basically the worlds sweetest,most accurate AK. It might weigh more than an AR depending on build but it feels light in your hands and works well. I have the diopter version and like that system. If I ever decide to mount a dot on it I might look into the top rail.

Its a very well made gun and the Sig US guns (sorry guys, I used to be a battered spouse of a Sig 556) are a bus station hooker compared to the princess that is the Swiss guns. Night and day, no contest.

If you are looking for similar build quality check out B&Ts APCs as well but I love my 553LB.

Posts: 3040 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
thanks...the brace works ok but had to shorten the SB tube to get LOP shorter than the stock. With the new triangle folder brace, I might just run that instead.

Ah I see. Aesthetically, the SB brace looks the closest to the genuine Swiss stock. But that triangle folder looks pretty good as well. I might have to look into that.

With the factory railed 553, is there sling loops on the gun? I see that the diopter rear has a hook incorporated.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anubismp:
I have a SAN 553 LB with the AR mag lower and its basically the worlds sweetest,most accurate AK. It might weigh more than an AR depending on build but it feels light in your hands and works well. I have the diopter version and like that system. If I ever decide to mount a dot on it I might look into the top rail.

The Sig 551 Classic was not BAD but no comparison to whats posted here. The 556 = awful and an insult.

Its a very well made gun and the Sig US guns (sorry guys, I used to be a battered spouse of a Sig 556) are a bus station hooker compared to the princess that is the Swiss guns. Night and day, no contest.

If you are looking for similar build quality check out B&Ts APCs as well but I love my 553LB.

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 2505 | Location: FL | Registered: May 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boxer4u:
quote:

Ah I see. Aesthetically, the SB brace looks the closest to the genuine Swiss stock. But that triangle folder looks pretty good as well. I might have to look into that.

With the factory railed 553, is there sling loops on the gun? I see that the diopter rear has a hook incorporated.

there's a ring on the gas block and one on the rail itself. you can see them in the pics.

posted Hide Post
Are the struts on the triangle folder brace hard or is the bottom strut soft? I've been looking at the MCX collapsible brace but that might be nice as well. I also may just SBR that thing so it may be a moot point except for travel.

Posts: 3040 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
they're plastic covering something stiff. I wouldn't call them soft.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by boxer4u:
quote:

there's a ring on the gas block and one on the rail itself. you can see them in the pics.

I see them now, thanks for pointing that out.

posted Hide Post
Well the local deal fell through so I’ll be ordering a Picatinny upper build through JDI. Up side is it will be 6 years newer!

Does anyone know if the 2 port has block can be changed later on for the 4 port, and is it simple to do?

Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
THe gas block stays put and you just swap the regulator; it's a 15 second job. Might even be able to spec the 4 position regulator

posted Hide Post
quote:
THe gas block stays put and you just swap the regulator; it's a 15 second job. Might even be able to spec the 4 position regulator

Wonderful, thank you.
I’d like to add a few mags to the order and upgrade to the 4 position regulator down the road.

An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
JDI is about to import the SG553 in 300 BLK, in case you were interested in the platform in something other than 223 Rem.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
4 pos is the way to go suppressed. Should be able to order through JDI as well.

Ordered a few mags from JDI the other day

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3580 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post