SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    So I just won a Tikka T3X Lite
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So I just won a Tikka T3X Lite Login/Join 
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted
Bought a calendar last fall from my nieces husband. It was a fund raiser for the youth hockey program. The calendar was $40 if I remember right maybe $35. Anyway they give away a gun a week each month all year. Apparently I won last week. A Tikka T3X Lite.
Not being a sporting rifle guy and not a hunter I must admit I don't know crap about this gun.
Sells for around $600 from what a quick search shows.

So what do I have here in terms of quality? I have to get it from Scheels. I see a problem being I'm left handed and doubt they will stock them and I'm sure I will have to pay the additional cost of the left handed option if there is one.

Thinking I might see if I can take the value of the Tikka and apply to something else.
So what do the knowledgeable have to say about this rifle?

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I can say I’m very happy with the three Tikka T3 rifles I own, and only wish the X version with its superior magazine had been introduced earlier. Some Tikka rifles are available in left-handed models. If you can’t use it, though, you can’t use it and would be better off exchanging the credit for something else if possible.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm sure you could sell it for a good price to somebody, it was free so it would be 100% profit then go buy something else you would rather have.

Sometimes the left hand models are cheaper on gun broker.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
They are arguably the best bolt action in their price range.

They are not purdy or fancy, but they shoot good.

If you want to sell or trade it let me know. Maybe we can work something out Wink

Nice to win such a price, congrats.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19186 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
They are arguably the best bolt action in their price range.

They are not purdy or fancy, but they shoot good.

If you want to sell or trade it let me know. Maybe we can work something out Wink

Nice to win such a price, congrats.

Thank you I will keep it in mind. The closest Scheels to me is nearly 3 hours away. It will be awhile before I get a open day to make the drive and pick it up.

Posts: 8532 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I would call Scheels before you go, like today, & ask what type of credit options you may have.

As posted, the next option is to take the gun & sell it yourself, either way(credit or sell) you will be a bit below retail price.

Look at the big picture, you won a gun, nice.

Posts: 6159 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
You can probably leave the rifle at Sheels until you sell it, pay have then ship/transfer it for you.

Posts: 12921 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
is it already purchased and all you have to do is pick it up?

if not, I'd be choosing the .243 winchester

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Very happy with mine in .270WIN, have only had it to the range once so far & put about 40 rds through it. Planning on taking a little weight out of the trigger (factory adjustment) & spending more range time with it.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15316 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I agree that they are one of the best rifles you can buy for under $1000, and at under $700, they are a spectacular value.

I have never heard of one that wasn't well above average in accuracy for sporting rifles. They have good triggers and very smooth actions.

I had a .223 varmint T3 (heavy barrel) that would shoot to MOA (for real 10 shot groups, not gun-rag MOA) with any reasonable ammo. With good ammo and when I was paying attention, I could get .60 MOA groups.

If you have any use for a sporting bolt gun, you will have an excellent one.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I should be getting a certificate in the mail in the next day or so from the fundraising group.

At that point I will call Scheels and see what my options are. Based on the positive comments here if I can get the left handed version at no additional cost I may decide to get it.
Free guns are always a good thing! Big Grin

Picture of fyimo
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on the win as they are great rifles.

Freedom Is Not Free And Is Paid For By Our Military.
VFW Member
NRA Life Member 042722999
SWCA

Posts: 9186 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: July 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
From what I've seen, I don't think the LH models have any upcharge, just may not be stocked at the same levels as RH models.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15316 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
yep they are awesome. I have a stainess hunter in 270win. I am a left handed as well. But I shoot a right handed gun. that way other members of my family can shoot it and it would be easier to sell if I want to down the road.

Posts: 7799 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of a Series
of Accidents
posted Hide Post
Left-handed in .25/06, that's the ticket!

I'm left-handed and have four Tikkas, all are great rifles.

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue." - Barry Goldwater

Posts: 1971 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: February 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Lastman , I have a couple older Remington 700 ADLs (.270 and 30-06 hunters for son and i). From what I've read about quality, the Tika is close or exceeds the quality and accuracy of the older Remington rifles (pre-2000s).

Ask for a lefty version and be happy.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just to update. I talked to Scheels and they would not do any special orders on raffle guns. So no left hand gun in stock so that was that.
I could have chosen something of equal value or applied the cost of the gun and upgrade to something else. So they weren't entirely uncooperative.
Not to mention they are 4 hour drive from me. So I have to send them my certificate and they are going to send me a gift certificate for the value of the gun.
I'm fine with that as I really had no use for the gun as I no longer hunt.

So I will comb through their web site looking for something I can use or want. Just bought a new fishing sonar/gps at the start of ice fishing this year otherwise that would have been at the top of the list.

As always thanks for all the great input on filling me in on this gun.