SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Varmint rifle for around the old homestead
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Varmint rifle for around the old homestead Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
22-250. Big Grin

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's what I use. My trash Pandas are around 50 yards. I use a Ruger 77V heavy barrel 22-250 with a Redfield 6 x 18. Overkill at 50 yards I know, but it does the job.

Posts: 462 | Location: Greenfield, IN | Registered: December 29, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
22LR will take care of trash panda. 22-250 or .220 Swift will send a message to the rest of them.

Posts: 10823 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Have you a good amount of .22 or easy access to buy it now? If not, consider a rifle in .17 HMR.
Around here that ammo has been on the shelves the whole time that .22 was unobtainium.

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pyker:
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
how far off do you want to shoot them?

20-30 feet or so

Perfect range for an air-rifle! At that distance, any decent "springer" in .177 (1000 fps+) or .22 will do nicely for headshots.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
I'll go a bit different, how about a clean, used browning BL-22, should be able to be had for $500. New aren't much more in basic form.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11143 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a lot of "fun" shooting my 15-22 and Henry .22 at ground squirrels and prairie dogs this summer. Though, they weren't the best past 50 yards.

Posts: 200 | Registered: January 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Henry Big Boy in 327 Fed. I’d skip the brass receiver and get a full length barrel.

Of course the matching Ruger revolver would then be a necessity. Close in feed it .32 S&W which still leaves 2 upgrades in power .32 H&R and the .327 Fed.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5130 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another ruger 10/22 fan here. Perfect for your needs.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sock Eating Golden
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by apprentice:
Have you a good amount of .22 or easy access to buy it now? If not, consider a rifle in .17 HMR.
Around here that ammo has been on the shelves the whole time that .22 was unobtainium.

Second this. .22LR is impossible to find locally. .17HMR shelves are still full. Amazing accuracy and excellent power out to about 150 yards.

Nick

"I cannot imagine any condition which would cause a ship to founder. I cannot conceive of any vital disaster happening to this vessel. Modern shipbuilding has gone beyond that."
-Capt. Edward Smith

Posts: 5795 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: November 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
Found a 10/22 carbine locally at the GS. They even had ammo! ($6.50 for 50 rounds). The varmints better watch out now!

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
I think a 220 Swift would do the trick. Lol

I was coyote calling on the edge of a woods many years ago. For some reason a raccoon took extreme offense at my activities (I think it had distemper), and it charged me.

I had a 6-24x scope that was focused for 200+ yards at the time so I just shot it from the hip with my 26" barreled 220 Swift.

It worked. Cool

I was kind of surprised I made contact just point shooting like that. There was NO need for a second shot.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pyker:
Found a 10/22 carbine locally at the GS. They even had ammo! ($6.50 for 50 rounds). The varmints better watch out now!

Sweet!

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2073 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
CZ-452 American... 22LR ... A laser :-)

John

Posts: 342 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: September 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post