SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Varmint rifle for around the old homestead
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Varmint rifle for around the old homestead Login/Join 
Picture of Pyker
posted
Got a bunch of trash pandas and other assorted varmints around. Looking for a .22 to do some cleaning up.

Recs? Suggestions?

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
10/22.

Ignem Feram

Posts: 528 | Registered: October 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
how far off do you want to shoot them?

One of the guns left on my list is a Ruger M77 in .220 Swift.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10474 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Any old bolt-action .22 will do. I have an old Marlin Glenfield model 25 that I got for $90 that has killed more stuff than any other gun I own. It'll feed anything from CB caps to Long Rifle, and it uses a box magazine, which I prefer to a tube because it's easier to unload and easier to clean.

Posts: 8417 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
how far off do you want to shoot them?

20-30 feet or so

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think a 220 Swift would do the trick. Lol

Posts: 7347 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
A PCC in 9mm is fun and it’ll drop them on the spot at that range.

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:

Yep ideally suited for 20-30 feet!

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10474 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:

Yep ideally suited for 20-30 feet!

hey!!

if the bullet don't get them, then the muzzle blast might burn em up! Big Grin

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pyker:
Got a bunch of trash pandas and other assorted varmints around. Looking for a .22 to do some cleaning up.

Recs? Suggestions?

budget?

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
quote:
Originally posted by Pyker:

Recs? Suggestions?

budget?

500 or less

I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
Get a Ruger 10/22.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2073 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Rather than the ubiquitous 10/22, I was going to suggest a Winchester 9422 or Model 39A Marlin, then I looked at the current asking prices. Eek Nope, 10/22 it is. A S&W M&P 15-22 would be another option, but I don't know how much having the sights over the bore axis affects POI at 20-30 feet.

Posts: 10823 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Personally, I don't like the idea of one rifle for one purpose.
I dig the multi-purpose stuff!

A .22 cal is great for taking out trash pandas, possums, rats, rabbits, woodchucks.... And plinking. A decent gun with a decent scope, no problem doing that out to 50yds and beyond.

The Ruger 10/22 is honestly one of the best .22's out there! There's hundreds of extras, parts, stocks, barrels, triggers.... You name it- for the 10/22.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8322 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
Sounds like I'm looking for a 10/22 then!

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Consider a Savage BMag in .17 WSM rimfire.

You can still find ammo online.

Oops. It was there yesterday, November 10th. Frown

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Of the .22's I own I think my Henry H001 lever action is the most fun to shoot. It's very accurate and holds 12 LR rounds. Something to think about.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
I like my Thompson Center 10/22 clone.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
What the heck.... how about a Marlin model 60?

0:01

Posts: 4200 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I have a Savage MKII bolt 22lr...with the Aquila primer compound only (no powder) it’s quiet enough to shoot in the city limits. Without the suppressor. Same with the Remington subsonic ammo I have.

I also have several 10/22s but suppressed ammo doesn’t cycle the bolt. (Not a problem with the bolt gun) and regular ammo does have a supersonic crack. It sounds like gunshots but it’s hard to determine where.

Id just get a bolt gun from a pawn shop and get some subsonic ammo.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post