SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Please recommend a .22lr Rimfire Scope for my daughter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Please recommend a .22lr Rimfire Scope for my daughter Login/Join 
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted
Now that we are past the Black Friday and Cyber Monday sales Frown my daughter discovers she needs a scope for her high school team.

Please offer up recommendations and advice on a 9x 40mm (max. values) scope for .22lr.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kimber1911,

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
Do you mean a 3-9x40?

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3641 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I think the shooting coach gave her the maximum magnification and largest objective allowed.
It seems to be the only thing that makes sense.

Yes, the coach confirmed 9x and 40mm were the maximum values.

So far thinking about the Cabela's caliber specific 22lr rimfire scope.

Or maybe the Nikon PROSTAFF Target EFR

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimber1911:
So far thinking about the...cabelas

I highly recommend your avoiding any scope with a ballistics reticle, even one that is so-called matched to 22lr ammo. Per Cabela's website, that scope's reticle is optimal with a 36 grain HP bullet with MV of 1,220 fps. That's a supersonic varmint-hunting and plinking load. Taking a wild guess here, your daughter will be shooting paper or steel targets -- using sub-sonic 40 grain bullets. It won't take very many yards beyond the zero before the ballistic reticle will differ from reality. Furthermore, the reticle will be calculated for one air density -- which may, or may not, be close to your local conditions.

I can't recommend a specific brand at this moment, but some things you should consider in a rimfire scope:
- Adjustable objective, meaning you can compensate for parallax at various distances. Parallax should be adjustable down to no more than 50 yards, but 25 yards is much better.
- Ixnay any ballistic reticle. However, a properly made MOA/mil reticle can be a good thing.
- Have an easy way to adjust the turret for elevation, assuming her target distances will vary. 22lr bullets drop like a stone, and you need a way to adjust ballistics for even a 5 yard change in target distances.
- A clear and simple reticle, which can be seen on any type of target. Understand that thin black reticles often don't show up very well when shooting at large black target circles.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Weaver or Leupold Rimfire optics.

I have the Weaver 4x28 and 2.5-7x28, both are great and they also make a 3-9x32 with an adjustable objective (parallax).

http://weaveroptics.com/optics...pes/classic_rimfire/

DON’T get the Weaver KASPA, it’s their Chinese made lineup. Regular Weavers are made in Japan.

I don’t own any Leupolds but I’ve looked through several of their rimfires in stores and at the range - very nice - I just started with Weaver and they have a more palatable price point for my intended use.

https://www.leupold.com/search?q=Rimfire

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
I've well pleased with the Nikon .22 3-9 power scope I put on a Sig 522...

http://www.nikonsportoptics.co...-3-9x40-bdc-150.html

https://www.brownells.com/opti...re-ii-prod75029.aspx

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10584 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IMO, it's pretty hard to beat the leupold vx1 rimfire 2-7x28mm. I have 2 of them, one on a 10/22 and one on my 77/22.

Excellent scopes for a 22 rifle.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Suggest a SWFA SS fixed 6x42. Smart reticles, MIL or MOA turrets match the reticles. Focus down to 10 Meters.... If her coach would allow a 10x, suggest the SS 10X.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Leupold 3-9x33mm EFR would be my pick in the 9x max 40mm max category. Do NOT buy her a scope without an adjustable objective. The AO on the Leupold I suggested adjust all the way down to airgun target ranges.

Posts: 937 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I second the leupold as the best option. I have several they are very tough and will last.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Nikon rimfire without a doubt.
Mine on the Savage is great!

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
this one is available with a standard duplex

http://www.cabelas.com/product...1821575.uts?slotId=1

or

this leupold is available in 3x9x40
http://www.cabelas.com/product...1318779.uts?slotId=1

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
A lot of good information presented here, thanks guys.

You have sold me on the need for an adjustable objective.

Really like the Leupold 3-9x33mm EFR but considering the price point I am leaning heavily toward the Nikon PROSTAFF Target EFR.

Update:
Final selection, Ding Ding

Nikon PROSTAFF Target EFR 3-9x 40mm Rimfire Rifle Scope - Precision Reticle Big Grin

The rimfire-tuned Target EFR scope has been equipped with a Nikon precision reticle and parallax adjustable objective allows for precision shooting from as close as 10 yards for ultimate accuracy.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kimber1911,

Pres. Select, Joe Biden

posted Hide Post
Leupold 3-9 Rimfire scope great for any 22

Posts: 991 | Location: UP of Michigan | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of heisrizn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newmexican:
IMO, it's pretty hard to beat the leupold vx1 rimfire 2-7x28mm. I have 2 of them, one on a 10/22 and one on my 77/22.

Excellent scopes for a 22 rifle.

X2

Posts: 1549 | Location: Fayetteville, NC | Registered: April 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
A lot of good information presented here, thanks guys.

You have sold me on the need for an adjustable objective.

Really like the Leupold 3-9x33mm EFR but considering the price point I am leaning heavily toward the Nikon PROSTAFF Target EFR.

Update:
Final selection, Ding Ding

Nikon PROSTAFF Target EFR 3-9x 40mm Rimfire Rifle Scope - Precision Reticle Big Grin

The rimfire-tuned Target EFR scope has been equipped with a Nikon precision reticle and parallax adjustable objective allows for precision shooting from as close as 10 yards for ultimate accuracy.
The Nikon Prostaff is a nice scope, but not as good as the Leupold. The adjustments and glass I feel are better on the Leupold. You can purchase the Nikon for $187 and the Leupold for #320 right now. I would look at the Leupold as an investment that your daughter could pass down to her daughter.

https://swfa.com/leupold-3-9x3...-r-riflescope-3.html

https://swfa.com/nikon-3-9x40-...r-rimfire-scope.html

Also don't skimp on rings!! Good rings are not that much more than the cheap ones and will save you a lot of frustration in the long run. I have Warne's on my rimfires.

Posts: 875 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: May 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
quote:
So far thinking about the...cabelas

I highly recommend your avoiding any scope with a ballistics reticle, even one that is so-called matched to 22lr ammo. Per Cabela's website, that scope's reticle is optimal with a 36 grain HP bullet with MV of 1,220 fps. That's a supersonic varmint-hunting and plinking load. Taking a wild guess here, your daughter will be shooting paper or steel targets -- using sub-sonic 40 grain bullets. It won't take very many yards beyond the zero before the ballistic reticle will differ from reality. Furthermore, the reticle will be calculated for one air density -- which may, or may not, be close to your local conditions.

I can't recommend a specific brand at this moment, but some things you should consider in a rimfire scope:
- Adjustable objective, meaning you can compensate for parallax at various distances. Parallax should be adjustable down to no more than 50 yards, but 25 yards is much better.
- Ixnay any ballistic reticle. However, a properly made MOA/mil reticle can be a good thing.
- Have an easy way to adjust the turret for elevation, assuming her target distances will vary. 22lr bullets drop like a stone, and you need a way to adjust ballistics for even a 5 yard change in target distances.
- A clear and simple reticle, which can be seen on any type of target. Understand that thin black reticles often don't show up very well when shooting at large black target circles.

I would agree with fritz, with such varinces in 22 ammo a good clear fine cross hair recticle with target knobs is perfect. I prefer x14 or x16 but my eyes suck. A good fixed power x10 or x12 would be my choice, SWFA has them, I will be upgrading my cz452 sometime in the future with on....currently it wears a Sweet22 4x16, for the price its serviceable....but I am ready to move up

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by offgrid:
Suggest a SWFA SS fixed 6x42. Smart reticles, MIL or MOA turrets match the reticles. Focus down to 10 Meters.... If her coach would allow a 10x, suggest the SS 10X.

Offgrid beat me to it....great scope and when on sale can be had a little over $200

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post