SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Marlin Model 60
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Marlin Model 60 Login/Join 
posted
Recently I posted about a Model 60 that I am going to get from my brother. Thank you all for the responses. One thing that came up was the need to replace buffers from time to time. I have a Model 60 that has a cracked stock. Could this be the cause of the crack? Does anyone know if this can be repaired or must the stock be replaced? Thanks

Jim

Posts: 1338 | Location: Northern Michigan | Registered: September 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
not sure, I just bought my first model 60 a while back. It is a dream little shooter.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Some cracks can be repaired, some can't. Some repairs are ugly but serviceable. Some are invisible. Depends.
It also depends on what your time is worth. You could just replace it:

https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...ne-fed-polymer-black

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I seriously doubt a cracked stock on a model 60 could be caused by failure to replace
the buffers

Posts: 206 | Registered: January 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pal - Slightly off topic but being in a family that started with Marlin Model 60 rifles (we had 4 when the two boys were growing up) the BEST $20.00 we ever spent was this reloading device.....Both my sons still have their Model 60 rifles and both still have the two reloading tubes we used to use 20 years ago....Mark

https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...loader-polymer-clear

Posts: 3239 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I've had my 60 since 1996, no parts have ever been replaced & it's had many thousands of rounds of rapid fire through it by an overzealous teenager.

More recently I put a ln adjustable straight trigger in it, a minor change but the trigger is a bit better. Won it in a karma here & don't recall the brand.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. And the links. I've had this gun for fifty years. (gosh that makes me seem old) I don't shoot it as much anymore but would like to keep the original stock if possible. Any more info on this would be great.

Jim

Posts: 1338 | Location: Northern Michigan | Registered: September 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is a good vid on repairing a stock.

https://youtu.be/eOFRWyo-yPM

I will try and remember to add flash embed when i get home

This message has been edited. Last edited by: DSgrouse,

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott in NCal:
I seriously doubt a cracked stock on a model 60 could be caused by failure to replace
the buffers

I'm not familiar with the model 60. BUT, on the Marlin Camp 9 or Camp 45 carbines, a bad buffer will absolutely crack the stocks on them. A company makes Delron buffers for the Camp guns that are far superior to the factory Marlin ones.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
I can't imagine the stock not being repairable. I assume the crack is at the wrist?

I have a couple 80s with the 22" barrel and last round hold open. replacing the buffer is definitely easier in the later iterations.

yep, Marlin 22s are habit forming.

Posts: 3484 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post