SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Marlin Spikehorn lever action love.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Marlin Spikehorn lever action love. Login/Join 
posted
My gun is an original JM marked 16” Spikehorn from late 99 - 2000 timeframe. Very few of these guns were made and they are very hard to find. I actually traded a like new .357 JM Marlin for this gun. Yes you can get the Rem model, but it will not have the beautiful bluing or nice wood stock.

Anyway, I hunt pigs with the gun and had never shot past 50yds. I’m going to Ga in late Dec for deer, so I decided to zero at 100 yards. I was amazed when the first 5 shots landed in a 1.75” group. Four landed in a inch, and I threw the last shot which opened the group up. I made a couple changes and got a 1.50” 3 shot group. One more adjustment and was rewarded with a .75” 3 shot group. I stopped right there. The Ga deer better be ware. I‘m gunning for you.

Ammo is 150gr soft point made by Winchester and Privi Partisan. They both shot the same.

Posts: 1100 | Location: Orange Park, FL. | Registered: November 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
We get all spun up about the new “hotness” and forget that rifles like this have served quietly for decades in mundane but stalwart utility.
Nice looking rig.
Am I correct in assuming 30-30?

Posts: 6304 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
You, sir, have magnificent taste in firearms. Just in the past few weeks alone I remember you posting that sweet little Government 380, the cool little vest pocket that unfortunately didn't work out, a drop-dead gorgeous chromed commander, and now this! I have a thing for Marlins, but I have yet to lay my hands on a 16" variant, and that one you have there looks absolutely pristine.

Thats some impressive shooting. I will say I've always been impressed with the accuracy of my Marlin leverguns. Even with all that stuff touching the barrel out front, I have a couple that will give a decent bolt-action a run for its money at 100 yards. My JM 1894 in .357 is the best of my bunch, but I still haven't found a good load for my Texan in 30-30. I'd say you've definitely got yours figured out, though Big Grin!

Posts: 8568 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
Very nice, indeed. You do have good taste in firearms.

Remington should have produced a refined version of the 336Y with nice blueing and walnut stocks. Alas, the trend is towards budget guns with utilitarian matte finishes and hardwood, laminate or plastic furniture. Too bad. I've gotten tired of ARs. I've foolishly sold many fine guns that I wish I still had to enter the AR game, including multiple Marlins. So a year or so ago I sold every damned AR I had and have started the process of buying back some of the guns I owned that I always regretted selling. Ithacas, Marlins, Remingtons, Brownings. Thankfully, most of my Remington-made Marlins (336CS .30-30, 336CS .35 Remington, 1895) are great in every respect. I had to send an 1894 back to remington for canted sights, and to their credit, they rebarreled it, tuned the action, and replaced the wood with gorgeous, feathered wood that far exceed what was on it, and had it back to me in under 2 weeks.

I've also found Prvi Partizan to make fine ammo. The Serbs make good stuff. I've shot it in 6.5x55, .30-30, 9mm, .45, .357, .44. It's good, consistent ammo that does what you want it to do. Have never had an issue with it.

What's the stock wrap? Buffalo Brand?

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The only thing that limits the accuracy of Marlin lever gun is their crappy OEM sights.
Swap them out and you may be amazed at how much the accuracy improves.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16089 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
That is beautiful! The quality of those old JM Marlin rifles was superb. My first official hunting rifle when I was 11 was a Marlin 336. My only Marlin now is a GBL in 45-70 I bought early last year. Despite my fears of a Remlin rifle, it has been steller.

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 706 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post