SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    AR-15 Rifle Barrel Suggestions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AR-15 Rifle Barrel Suggestions Login/Join 
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted
I’m looking to replace the barrel on my 1994 era AR-15. I’m looking for the best bang for the buck so I am not interested in a barrel that costs more than a basic AR. A cosmetic blemish would be OK. I do want one that can shoot .223 and 5.56 too. For reference, I will need a 20” barrel.
Thx

Posts: 12459 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
Green Mountain barrels are a good bang for the buck. You can get a 20" A2 barrel profile with 1 in 7 or 1 in 8 chrome lined for around $176.95. I went with a 1 in 8 and it turned out good.

http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/a...16-m4-rifle-barrels/

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
I really like Faxon & Ballistic Advantage.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8847 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Mine is a pencil profile BCM 16" mid-length.
Trouble free & wasn't terribly priced, even shortly after the Sandy Hooks events, when I was piecing together the build.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15268 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjames
posted Hide Post
I’ve found Ballistic Advantage to be great barrels and a good value. Look at Granite Ridge Outfitters for good prices...they seem to run a BA coupon code all the time!

Posts: 2505 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: August 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Cheap and good? BA then unless you want to dumpster dive.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
I have a LaRue Stealth that has proven very accurate with a wide range of ammunition.

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
I'm finding that the Faxon Gunner profiles are very accurate and don't string like a true pencil barrel.

They are gov't profile to the gas block, then reduce to a pencil profile after.

They do a match 416R Stainless 223 Wylde now. I have a 16" that im getting aquainted with.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Daniel Defense CHF. I own three and I am impressed. They're not the cheapest option in this thread, but they're not that expensive.

Posts: 107487 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One option for a better quality barrel is Wilson Combat. Non-fluted SS barrels are currently $250, although sales around major holidays result in 15-20% discounts. I currently have three of their 5.56 barrels and one 300blk barrel. I wore out my first Wilson barrel and replaced it with another. Accuracy from my Wilson barrels is pretty close to that from my true match-grade Krieger barrel.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Very happy with my Faxon 20" heavy match with flame fluting. I've been able to consistently shoot just over 1" groups at 100 yards out of it, and I'm convinced I'm the limiting factor, not the barrel.

Posts: 8536 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Thx all. Some excellent suggestions to explore. As an FYI, I am putting this on my Franken AR that was assembled from a pot pourri of parts bought during the 1994 AWB panic. We won’t talk about how much I was into it (Not counting this new barrel).

Posts: 12459 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:
We won’t talk about how much I was into it (Not counting this new barrel).

Over my career I have worked with managers from all walks of life to evaluate property, plant, and equipment investment options. Ultimately, one must ignore what has been spent in the past, when looking at investments with future benefits.

It comes down to what benefits we receive in the future versus what we spend now. Note that it isn't always practical to quantify investments & benefits in dollars & cents.

So if you decide to replace a barrel, the previous cost of the barrel/upper/rifle means nothing. The end analysis may include the cost of the new barrel versus things like:
- accuracy
- barrel life
- types of ammo that can be used
- maintenance (cleaning) required for the new barrel
- intangible issues, which may include things like appearance or pride of ownership

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post