SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Mini 14
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mini 14 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Just because a thing can be done, doesn't mean it should be done.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do love me some Mini's. Something about the satisfying CHA-CHING of the action when you rack it. Started with a Mini 30 Tactical, and liked it so much I got the Mini 14 Tactical, but neither with those lame ass ATI stocks. Ran a multi-gun match with the Mini 14 and people looked at me like I was using a damn flint lock. Finished surprisingly well, only giving up the majority of my points on the 150-200+ yard shots. I run Ultimak rails and scout mounted RDS's on both of them.

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 964 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
Just because a thing can be done, doesn't mean it should be done.

I wouldn’t do it either but it’s a common thing here.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The versatility and customization potential of the AR is difficult to ignore. I do like working on them and shooting them. However, the Mini has always had a special appeal to me despite its limitations. It shoulders nicely for me, has good balance, and has natural controls. Maybe I also like the fact that it somewhat resembles battle rifles from a bygone era. I won't be giving mine up.

Posts: 655 | Location: Northern Colorado, USA | Registered: September 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What ammo do they use to shoot a moose?

Posts: 329 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If they keep insisting on an AR ban, the mini will become even more popular.

Posts: 817 | Location: FL | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pony220:

I don't know, but moose bites can be pretty nasty.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jodel-Time
Picture of Mboroman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:
quote:

I don't know, but moose bites can be pretty nasty.

Very true. A moose once bit my sister.
Sorry for the extra thread drift. I just couldn't resist. Big Grin

Posts: 559 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Haven't had a chance to get to the range but I did swap out the cheap Bushnell Sportview with a less cheap Simmons and added the accu-strut.

Posts: 3484 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
The Choate stock now makes my mini an evil black rifle Eek. Very happy with this folder. Didn't want to ding up the wood stock any more.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stkfox:
If they keep insisting on an AR ban, the mini will become even more popular.

Maybe. Some of the proposed bills I've read read like the ban would include a 10-22!

I looked into buying a basic Mini-14 last year, they cost more than an AR!

Posts: 15899 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Vipers28
posted Hide Post
Probably one of the rifles I regret selling was a Mini 14 Ranch. The finish on it and feel was great but I got a great offer to sell it and I did. Haven't seen one like it since but definitely would like to pick up another one.

Posts: 769 | Location: H6 | Registered: December 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I’m not sure but everything I’ve learned from living in “rural” Alaska leads me to believe it was the cheapest stuff available at Walmart or Fred meyers.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All this talk about mini 14s got to me so a finally bought a SS one. Now I have a problem with the scope mounts that I have never had with another rifle. After I shoot it the screws eight little screws on the rings and the two mounting screws are loose (so of course the groups are pretty bad.) I've put alcohol on the screws to try and degrease them and only slight improvement. Any suggestions? I do not want to use the rail mount and would prefer not to have to use loctight.

Posts: 329 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Folks have recommended grease for grip screws on pistols. I would think the principle would also apply in this case. The grease fills in the micro spaces that can lead to loosening. Just an thought and preferable to gumming everything up with fingernail polish.

Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I keep hoping the price of the mini will drop similar to ARs.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:
I keep hoping the price of the mini will drop similar to ARs.

Extremely unlikely. There's simply not the high supply and heavy competition, like there is in the AR market.

Only one company's making Minis.

The good news is that I've seen a slight drop in the used prices of Minis, thanks to the flood of ARs, so you can find some decent deals on used ones nowadays.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
I have been using clear fingernail polish for about forty years,you clean screws and mounting plated with alcohol first,its set till your scope needs upgrading and it will be easily removed.

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
All my scope mounting hardware gets purple loctite. Easy to remove and it stays put.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well I broke down and used what looked like blue loctite (included with the Ruger rail) on all the screws. We'll see if that holds and I can get better groups.