SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Mini 14
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mini 14 Login/Join 
Picture of SigSentry
posted
L. James Sullivan's .223 design has always been on my list-mostly because I can't afford a M14. The Ruger AR556 MPR might be in my future but I will enjoy my Mini in the meantime.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/L._James_Sullivan

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SigSentry,

Posts: 3484 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I always loved the Mini-14. The AR might be a better gun in a lot of ways but it has never been as fun to shoot as the Mini for me.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
I always loved the Mini-14. The AR might be a better gun in a lot of ways but it has never been as fun to shoot as the Mini for me.

Agreed. The AR is the better/more practical platform.

But the Mini-14/M1 Carbine -style rifles are more fun, and mine are some of my favorite plinkers.

Here's a family photo, with the other members of my M1 (and derivative) family.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RogueJSK,

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
My trusty little Mini:

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Mini-14 has been berry, berry good to me.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UpTheIrons
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ARMT Guy:
My trusty little Mini:

Having been a devotee of the A-Team show, I have wanted this configuration for a long time!

“I used to be totally into Steve Vai and Joe Satriani and other shredders, and I tried to emulate what they did and really grow as a guitarist,” Mr. Hanneman said in “Louder Than Hell.” “Then I said, ‘I don’t think I’m that talented, but more important, I don’t care.’ ”

Posts: 1726 | Location: Arizona Territory | Registered: February 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I remember my Mini in the early 2000s being more comfortable to shoulder and sight than the AR556 I bought recently. Between the California "high capacity" magazine ban, the federal AWB still in effect and old man Ruger still alive and running things, all it came with was 5-round magazines. Now that all these objections (except for the Mini's magazines being proprietary and more expensive) have been removed, as well as their having 5.56 chambers, I might have bought another one, but they are over $200 more than the AR.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by UpTheIrons:

Having been a devotee of the A-Team show, I have wanted this configuration for a long time!

I'm right there with ya! Big Grin

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Mini 14 has always been a very fine looking weapon in my opinion. I would love to have one with the side folding stock like the one pictured above. It is too bad that neither Ruger nor a third party is currently manufacturing one so that I could put together a Mini-14GB.

Laughing in the face of danger is all well and good until danger laughs back.

Posts: 496 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I debated for a long time about getting a mini. I have ARs, and didn't really need it, but I'm glad I forked out for it. Its a blast to shoot, and an amazingly well balanced little rifle. The factory trigger and sights are pretty decent, too.

Posts: 8415 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
I enjoy shooting mini 14s because they kind of remind me of the M1 carbine that a couple relatives had in my youth. I've always thought the M1 Carbine and the Mini 14 were a natural rifle for point shooting style for some reason both seem to do very well in point shooting.

I did not buy mine till around 1986, still remember spending a wopping $300 out the door for it. A couple years later I put a butler creek folding stock on it. The only time I've ever had it choke was with some bad aftermarket magazines. I've often wondered why no Magpul magazines made for it. Some 25 rounder Pmags would be great. When I handload for it those 52, 53, 63 grain Sierra bullets seem to really improve accuracy in it over FMJ stuff.

Posts: 2675 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
I’ve always liked the looks of the Mini. Especially the ones with the wood stock. Mine is the stainless steel Ranch model with the black synthetic stock.
Many times I’ve thought about getting a wood stock for it just for the purdy factor.

Posts: 3220 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
^I as well. After Bataclan and already having an appreciation for the Sp2022, the mini seemed a logical progression. Tacticool is in the eye of the beholder.

Posts: 3484 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
I imagine if they ever came out with a variant that took ar compatible mags, they would sell like hot cakes. I know it’s a different architecture, but that’s what engineers are for.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
It's not outside the realm of possibilities, though I don't see it being a high priority for Ruger.

But Ruger has shown that they're willing to compromise, considering their newer American Ranch bolt rifles in .223 use AR magazines instead of the earlier cheap proprietary rotary American mags. They could have easily made them use Mini-14 magazines, like they did with the 7.62x39 Ranch Rifles and Mini-30 mags.

And their new PC Carbine can use Glock magazines as well as Ruger magazines.

Seems they recognize that their proprietary magazines can sometimes turn a buyer off to their rifle. And they'd rather make the sale on these rifles, than potentially lose the sale but possibly make a bit on small accessory sales to a different buyer.

So there may be hope, if they're willing to spend the time/money on the necessary R&D. As you said, it would require a significant redesign.

However, another strike against it is that, for various reasons, traditional-style semiauto rifles that use AR mags have historically been slow sellers, like the Benelli MR1, Keltec SU16, and Ares SCR. Even some of the newer tactical-style semiauto rifles that use AR mags have had trouble breaking into that saturated portion of the rifle market, like the Beretta ARX 100. So just because it takes AR magazines doesn't necessarily mean it'll automatically be a hit.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Where I live, pretty much everybody if not everybody has a mini 14. they do everything with them including hunting moose and bears.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newmexican:
Where I live, pretty much everybody if not everybody has a mini 14. they do everything with them including hunting moose and bears.

Even in the 1980s I was bit surprised how common Mini 14 were in Alaska.

Posts: 2675 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:

I assume moose and bear mean something other than 5.56.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:
quote:

I assume moose and bear mean something other than 5.56.

Not to the Alaskan Natives.....Ive heard of local people shooting moose with 22 magnums...

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yeah, we've got folks down here who shoot wild hogs with .22LR.

I wouldn't do it, but it's doable.