Picture of dwd1985
posted
Null

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dwd1985,

Posts: 4455 | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
The slide action (“pump”) doesn’t absorb any of the recoil energy by operating the action as does the inertia system, so I must believe that its felt recoil is greater.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pump action and break open double/single barrel shotguns will feel the full effect of the recoil. Inertia shotguns like the Benelli spread out the impulse slightly and have less recoil. Gas operated shotguns spread out the recoil even more and have the least felt recoil.

Posts: 838 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^What he said.

I have all three types. My 870 has the most felt recoil, followed by my inertia Franchi I12, with the 1100 being the powder puff shooter of the bunch.

There is a much larger difference between the pump and the other two. The inertia and gas actions are much closer together in perceived recoil.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
I don't have all three systems, but I'll reiterate that, yes, there is a marked difference in recoil between my 870 and Benelli M4 from light target loads all the way up to full powered slugs.

Conversely, you can shoot an 870 and a 590 side by side and tell no difference (i.e. the negligible weight difference between the two pumps does nothing for recoil). The operating system makes a big difference.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JJexp
posted Hide Post
Between the two, the interia has a harsher recoil. That said, I’ve shot really heavy inertia guns that didn’t have as much felt recoil as lightweight gas guns.

Posts: 451 | Location: Hatboro, PA | Registered: May 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
Nothing thumps like a pump! A good recoil pad like a limb saver or the one that comes on the Magpul stock helps quite a bit, but the pump thumps! I've never used any of the mercury or other recoil reducing gizmos, so I can't comment on those. The one thing that I can say is a Knox stock pretty much eliminates the harshness of a pump gun.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have shot side X side's, over and under, pump, long recoil operations, and inertia.

SxS, O&U, and pump are about the same in recoil. Depending on stock configuration, drop in the stock and recoil pad they are fairly equal in recoil.

Next down in recoil, inertia. It is slightly softer shooting.

Long recoil is softer yet, but gas is softer.

Gas, is soft shooting. If it's set up right, almost anyone could shoot one all day with very little wear and tear to the shoulder.

I have two pumps, a old Winchester and a Remington 870. I have two autoloaders both Franchi shotguns, one is the 48AL on the old Browning long recoil system = A5. The other an I-12, an inertia system like the Benelli system. The old long recoil is softer.

ARman

Posts: 3151 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are many factors which effect recoil. First is the loading system. The most recoil will be from pumps and break open actions (O/U and SxS). The Benelli-type inertia auto loaders reduce recoil noticeably, and the gas driven auto loader reduce recoil even more.

Gun fit is very important. Most modern guns are designed to fit the average-sized man pretty well, which means recoil forces go straight back into our shoulder pocket. IMO older SxS shotguns can be some of the worst -- a really low buttstock produces noticeable upward recoil forces. Yep, the infamous cheek slap. Competition O/U shotguns seem to have the fitting concept down correctly. Well-designed O/U clays guns really aren't that bad to shoot, even with some of the stouter loads.

Gun weight is a big factor. A 7 pound field gun will recoil a boatload more than its 10 pound competition cousin.

Recoil reduction stocks help, as do the cushy buttstock pads. IMO the mercury recoil systems aren't as effective as touted -- it's the addition 1/2 to 1 pound of dead weight put into the gun that really makes the difference.

As for a truly soft shooting semi-auto, Remingtons tend to rise to the top. They just seem to have a longer, slower push than others. Berettas are next -- the push is a little firmer, but faster too. I think this is why Beretta is the king of competition semi auto shotguns. They cycle fairly quickly, allowing the shooter to get back on the second clay a little faster than a Remy.

Interia systems cycle faster than gas systems, but with a little harsher recoil. A number of clays shooters like this over gas guns. Assuming the shooter manages the additional recoil, the gun settles down for the second shot quicker.

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fatmanspencer
posted Hide Post
I've posted somewhere before that outside of my 500 pump, I've only done O&U's and side by sides. The pump was way lighter and less recoil to me, but it was also heavier than the others.

Used guns deserve a home too

Posts: 783 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
It's a case of "all things being equal, which one..." but all things are never equal.

Gun/stock design, gun fit (to the shooter), gun weight, recoil pad type as well as personal perception all enter in to it too, and probably other stuff.

I recall shooting a Benelli M2 and a Mossberg 930 along side each other and swearing the 930 kicked more, even though it "shouldn't" and the person will me didn't seem to think so.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
I have a Benelli M1 Super 90 which is inertia operated and a Beretta 1301 Comp that has a gas operated system. The difference is very noticeable between the two, with the Beretta felt recoil being much softer. I haven't sold off the Benelli yet, but I'm leaning in that direction as I'm thoroughly enamored with the Beretta A400 design actions. I own four other Berettas using this same design (the original A400 12 gauge, a 12 gauge duck gun configuration in Kryptec camo, a 20 gauge, and a 28 gauge version. They are all very dependable and soft shooting.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10195 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post