SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Any experience with Vortex Sparc AR?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any experience with Vortex Sparc AR? Login/Join 
Picture of ruger357
posted
Looking to pick up a couple of red dots that don't cost what an aimpoint T2 costs. Anyone have experience with the Sparc AR? Battery life. Hold zero in the included mount? Any feedback good or bad is welcomed.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
I have a Vortex Spark AR mounted on an SBR. It has been good. Holds zero for the year or so i have had the SparcAR. Its red dot is okay it has some shine to it on the higher settings but so do my Aimpoints. These lower end red dots seem to do the job just fine.

Posts: 7721 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
For lower end RDS I really like the SIG Romeo 5. It's hard to beat and so far has done great on my ARs.

I still prefer Aimpoints but for a beater gun the R5 has held up fine so far - although the OEM mount sucks ballz, so you have to buy another decent mount.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only dead fish
go with the flow
Picture of pessimist
posted Hide Post
Mine has held zero fine. It seems to be a well made unit for the money. Vortex gets a lot of praise for their customer service and warranty. Thankfully, I never needed them.

I only keep mine on during range sessions so I can't speak to battery life. I like that it takes standard AAA batteries and that the compartment is easily accessible.

I prefer the mounting system on the Aimpoint because it can be stripped off the rifle very quickly via the integrated knob. The Vortex requires a star key. I prefer the lens caps of the Aimpoint as well. The Vortex has rubber caps that snap together but just dangle if left apart.

Posts: 1517 | Registered: March 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an older Vortex SPARC on my M1 carbine and it has held zero for several years and range trips. But it is a range gun and goes back to the safe.

Posts: 3531 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
I'm normally an Aimpoint/Trijicon guy, but after selling a ton of Vortex optics at my LGS, ( especially their SPARC ARs ) , I decided to take the plunge and snag a SPARC AR in the later stages of finishing up my AR pistol. It's been a great little red dot, holds zero just fine and I love the fact that it runs on AAAs.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
I have a SPARC and a couple Romeo5. Both work well and were easy to zero. The deciding factors going with the Romeo5 were motion activation option and price.

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
A couple of guys got the Sparc ARs at work for their home rifles and have had no issues. I've been using a Romeo 5 on my 300blk pistol with no issues (only at 300 rounds so far). I just ordered another Romeo 5 with MBUS set from PSA for another pistol build.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I would like to compare the sparc and Romeo but no one around here seems to have them.

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I got a Million of 'em!
posted Hide Post
I had a Sparc AR but sold it with a gun. One thing that shocked me when I got it was how large it is compared to a regular sparc or a T1. It’s probably 150% the size.

Other than that it is a great optic. I love how the battery compartment was built into the mount and wondered why no one else followed suit.

Posts: 8145 | Location: Hiram, GA. | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've ran a Sparc AR on a duty rifle for about 2 years. Its held zero w/ the original mount even while rattling around in a rifle mount and hasnt had any issues with rapid temp changes etc. I recently picked up a Romeo 5 and it seems very nice though I dont have alot of time on it. I have been running a Romeo 4h for a long time and thats another nice budget sight.

Vortex warranty is better than the Sig as another consideration.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I put a Sparc AR on a 9mm AR that I bought from Chowser and it’s been perfect. So far it’s held it’s zero.

I’ve heard their QC is hit or miss but I also have a Romeo 5 and had problems with it so nobody is perfect. So far the Sparc has been perfect.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Romeo 5 came in today. Seems like a solid little red dot. It didn't come with a manual and the mount only allows true co witness with the iron sights but I guess for $100 I can't complain.

Any place to get a higher (1/3 witness) mount?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ruger357,

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer