SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Pulled the trigger: TriStar Viper G2 Sporting
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pulled the trigger: TriStar Viper G2 Sporting Login/Join 
Picture of myrottiety
posted
Viper G2 Sporting

For a budget shotgun the reviews seem to be pretty good. Any of you guys handled one?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: myrottiety,

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8849 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have 3 CZ shotguns made by Huglu in Turkey for CZ and the Turkish now make very good shotguns. BTW, one O/U, one SxS and one gas operated semi.

In the O/U world Tri Stars are viewed as well made but with some warts. Mainly issues with the balance of the shotgun and the quality of the checkering and workmanship of the stock. Yeah, competitive clay busters can be very very picky. Me, I'm only picky about really poor balance and how the gun fits and not having ever shot a Tri Star cant comment from experience.

As for this particular shotgun the Select Walnut model is what I would choose. Because that 200 dollar increase over the other 2 version gets to an Adjustable stock that will likely be a very pretty chunk of Walnut. Because Cirassian Walnut is native to Turkey and currently the primary choice of wood for 20,000 dollar hand made shotguns. The advantage of the adjustable stock is that it allows you to fit the shotgun perfectly to your physique and that is a big deal if you ever want to try shooting competitively. Add on the premium wood that will likely come with that package and that 200 dollar price bump is money very well spent.

BTW, plan on purchasing some more chokes. Because the selection packaged with this shot gun is a bit odd. Cylinder and Skeet chokes are so close to each other that Skeet choke is sort of redundant. Normal progression for a 4 choke set would be Cylinder, Improved Cylinder, Improved Modified, and Full. With that the only supplemental needed to fill out a standard kit is Modified. BTW, Skeet falls between Cylinder and Improved Cylinder.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5647 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
Just incase anyone else was looking at these. Looks like they are made by Armsan in Turkey. This particular gun also is known as : Armsan A612S

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8849 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had a tri star semi auto with synthetic stock and 18 1/2 inch barrel, similar to what they now call the tactical, for 10 years. I was moving into a new house in a new state, could not buy a handgun, guy at a LGS suggested this. Very inexpensive. told me Turkey had a long history of manufacturing quality shotguns. It has been 100% flawless.

Posts: 550 | Location: S Fla / Western NC High Country | Registered: May 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
Pulled the trigger on one today. I'll update this after I get it in. Heck for $500 delivered I think it's a pretty good deal.

https://gunprodeals.com/produc...CKRED#product_detail