SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Magnifier for Romeo 4M
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Magnifier for Romeo 4M Login/Join 
posted
I found a really good price for a Romeo4M red-dot and decided to give it a try. Previously I have used only Aimport. Our 3 gun group has begun to set up targets at 200 yards and my 70 year old eyes need help. So, a magnifier is in order. I would appreciate any an all suggestions. I went with the (unproven in combat) Romeo 4M versus the Aimpoint or EoTech since I am only 3 gunning rather than going to war and therefore I was willing to assume some "risk". I guess the same reasoning would be applicable to the magnifier. Thanks.

Posts: 10 | Registered: June 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Vortex VMX-3T, they run about $200, sometimes less.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/pr...3t-red-dot-magnifier

It works great behind all of my Aimpoints and is much better than the Primary Arms offerings IMO.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of heisrizn
posted Hide Post
Samson 3.5x

Posts: 1549 | Location: Fayetteville, NC | Registered: April 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:

It works great behind all of my Aimpoints and is much better than the Primary Arms offerings IMO.

When this is flipped to the side and not in use, does it create any visual issues when looking through the red dot with both eyes open?

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12930 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BRL:
quote:

When this is flipped to the side and not in use, does it create any visual issues when looking through the red dot with both eyes open?
Not as long as you flip it away from you. As shown it flips left, however you can reverse the mount so it flips right. When shooting you don't know its there (visually) and it's light enough that it doesn't unbalance the weapon.

I keep it on my rifle at home, but if I know I'm going to be doing a bunch of up close shooting / training / etc, it comes off quickly as well. Or sometime I replace it with NV.

I'm sure the Aimpoint 3x / 6x mags are better, but at the $200 price point, the only real negative is shorter eye relief on the VMX-3T. Light transmission, color, etc are all great. I've seen a lot of people recommend the Samson 3.5x as well - I've never looked through one, so I can't compare.

And honestly I bought my VMX-3T from B&H photo and received a full Smith Optics Arc Aegis eye protection kit for free (worth $80-100), so in reality it only cost me net $100-120.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by BRL:
quote:

Not as long as you flip it away from you. As shown it flips left, however you can reverse the mount so it flips right. When shooting you don't know its there (visually) and it's light enough that it doesn't unbalance the weapon.

I keep it on my rifle at home, but if I know I'm going to be doing a bunch of up close shooting / training / etc, it comes off quickly as well. Or sometime I replace it with NV.

I'm sure the Aimpoint 3x / 6x mags are better, but at the $200 price point, the only real negative is shorter eye relief on the VMX-3T. Light transmission, color, etc are all great. I've seen a lot of people recommend the Samson 3.5x as well - I've never looked through one, so I can't compare.

And honestly I bought my VMX-3T from B&H photo and received a full Smith Optics Arc Aegis eye protection kit for free (worth $80-100), so in reality it only cost me net $100-120.

I appreciate your helpful input as well as all of the others above. Can you expand on your comment about shorter eye relief being a negative. I understand that's a potential issue with more powerful hunting rounds but why is that a negative with the relatively benign 223 recoil.

Posts: 10 | Registered: June 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
It just forces you to get your eye closer, less flexibility in head position.

Has nothing to do with recoil in this instance.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You just have to get closer to the 3x magnifier to see the image - I eyeballed it and its around 2" or so, give or take.

On a 5.56 (zero recoil), it's a non-issue for me. Now on a heavier recoiling rifle it might but, on those rifles I have magnified optics already.

ETA Vortex lists the eye-relief as 2.2", so it's out there in the black and white. It does what it's supposed to do.

If I really have a rifle where I need magnification often, I have a LPV optic on it. The 3x is what it is; i.e. Allows you to use a RDS and have a basic 3x capability as well.