SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Shotgun optic: RMR vs Aimpoint Micro
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shotgun optic: RMR vs Aimpoint Micro Login/Join 
CAPT Obvious
Picture of Spiff_P239
posted
I recently picked up a Beretta 1301 Tactical and I’m trying to decide what optic to mount on the gun. Right now I’m torn between an Aimpoint Micro or a Trijicon RMR/SRO. I’m just curious what other people have gone with and the pros/cons with either option. I appreciate any feedback you guys can give.

Posts: 3519 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
My brother has an Eotech on his M4. Not exactly your question but I thought it might be helpful.

Posts: 12459 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Me personally I always put aimpoint on anything I would consider for serious use. If its a gaming/range/fun gun then I use Trijicon because it can be a bit cheaper than the aimpoint. On rifles/shotguns I have preferred the MRO over the RMR/SRO as its quite nice to use, has a good shape, seems reliable and the window is easier to use. When mounting the RMR/SRO on a long gun I haven't found the SRO size difference to matter much and I'm pretty sure it will be less durable. One big advantage of the RMR's in all this is you can get different dot sizes and on a shotgun that might be a real advantage.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CAPT Obvious
Picture of Spiff_P239
posted Hide Post
Does the MRO have the same mounting footprint as an RMR? I’m looking to pick up an Aridus Industries CROM to keep the optic lower on the receiver.

ETA: Looks like it doesn’t.

Posts: 3519 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
The first question is always what you intend to use the shotgun for. If it’s hunting or competition, that’s one thing; if it’s for home defense, that’s another.

I don’t have any real experience with an RMR type sight on a long gun, but I have spent many hours maneuvering through confined spaces with a carbine, and my concern about an RMR is its vulnerability to being struck against door frames or other obstacles when we’re in a hurry or have other things on our mind. Trijicon touts how rugged its RMR sight is, but I cannot believe it would absorb the level of abuse that something like an Aimpoint will.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CAPT Obvious
Picture of Spiff_P239
posted Hide Post
My use case is as a range/home defense gun. I doubt it’ll get beat around much and it probably won’t be shot at distances longer than 25 yards, but I don’t mind spending the money on an Aimpoint if it’ll serve me better.

posted Hide Post
OK I have the CROM on one gun and no its RMR footprint or aimpoint. The MRO isnt' an option. Personally I don't think anything is as tough and proven as the aimpoint. As I said above when you say serious just get the aimpoint. But to sigfreund I have found that the RMR is pretty darn tough. I've slammed them into barricades, recoiled them into objects while shooting through ports, landed on them when going prone and plenty of other abuse. In this case I think the big advantage of the RMR is that you can get a dot size that makes some sense for the type of gun.

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
I have found that the RMR is pretty darn tough.

Good to know.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CAPT Obvious
Picture of Spiff_P239
posted Hide Post
What size dot would you recommend for an RMR?

posted Hide Post
That's actually a hard question for me to answer from actual experience as my shotgun shooting is normally daylight. I have an ungodly number of RMR equipped pistol rounds and a fair number of rifle rounds in all kinds of conditions, daylight, transitional light, nightime with flashlight, indoors and outside etc. Overall the only RMR that is acceptable overall for those conditions is the RMR06 and 07 so you can set the brightness you want. The problem areas are the transition ones. So I think the best you can do if you expect to shoot this shotgun in a typical house with a light mounted on the gun I would get the RMR07. If for some reason you are going to run the gun without a light or in good light then I would get the dual illuminated with the 9 or 12.9 moa dot. Of the latter I prefer the amber triangle. Before RMR type 2's existed I used one of those and it was pretty decent in the dark. Bright light overwhelms the dot when you are in the sun and the target is not, but its mostly manageable.

Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
I have the CROM mount on a Beretta 1301. I had a Trijicon type 1 RMR on at and now am using a Holosun 507 in green (a shout out to the DaBigDR!). Though the "window" is about the same (or exactly the same, I just eyeballed it) the way the RMR is arched down and the Holosun up made the holosun much easier for me to pick up quickly than the Trijicon. Also, for a shotgun the holosun has a circle dot reticle that is both huge and small or either one since you have the choice of three reticles. And it comes in green which is easy to pick up for me.

And while I like the CROM mount a lot, its not really a co-witness like of thing unless you are taking an aimed shot.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1951 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CAPT Obvious
Picture of Spiff_P239
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Loswsmith:
I have the CROM mount on a Beretta 1301. I had a Trijicon type 1 RMR on at and now am using a Holosun 507 in green (a shout out to the DaBigDR!).

How do we feel about Holosun when it comes to reliability? I've seen a decent number of people say they've mounted them on pistols but not so much on shotguns.

Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Spiff_P239:
quote:
Originally posted by Loswsmith:
I have the CROM mount on a Beretta 1301. I had a Trijicon type 1 RMR on at and now am using a Holosun 507 in green (a shout out to the DaBigDR!).

How do we feel about Holosun when it comes to reliability? I've seen a decent number of people say they've mounted them on pistols but not so much on shotguns.

Shrug, I feel fine. I haven't shot 1000 rounds through it or anything. I just got it and shot 25 rounds of buck with it just fine at the range to make sure shooting to point of aim. When researching it I saw lots of posts with them on shotguns and people saying they are just fine. I'm no engineer, but if it can take the whipping of lots and lots of short back and forth for pistol, it seems like it should take a shotgun just fine.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1951 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First off I'm coming at this question from the Sporting side of shotgun shooting. BTW, that means I break little round disks 108mm in diameter and moving somewhere in the range or 30-75 mph. A typical weekend of busting clays can mean shooting 200 or more rounds of Target shells. BTW, a Registered Shoot for Skeet is composed of 400 rounds with 100 rounds of each in 12g, 20g, 28g, and 410.

You will not find ANY competent sports shooter using any type of optical sight. Most won't even use a fibre optic because they can become either a distraction or bad habit. Because the proper way to shoot a shotgun and hit well is to look at the bird and pull the trigger when it "feels right". Good shotgun shooting is all about gaining the skill to mount the shotgun so that it's aligned perfect in the exact same spot on your shoulder and you have your cheek laying in the perfect position on the stock. Once that is mastered you then look to the spot ahead of the pigeon that is the perfect lead point for the speed and distance. Basically, you put you eyes on the perfect spot and release the trigger. Particularly frustrating for me is I was just getting to the point of proper instinctive shooting when this damned beer virus hit. When I get back to shooting I'll have a lot of catching up to do.

Anyhow, my point is why do you want to put an optical sight on a shotgun. You will NEVER be able to hit a true pair using an optical sight. In addition it will slow you down. I would suggest that you take yourself to a Trap range and learn how to shoot a shotgun properly. It will take time but once you get to that instinctive point hitting where you want is simply a matter of look at the target and pull the trigger. I'll also note that it will also really burn in your brain how to shoot with both eyes open. Because some trap shots have the barrel covering the pigeon for your dominant eye but that second eye can be used to "see thru" the barrel via the visual adaption your brain does instinctively. BTW, if you see two barrels with both eyes open, close one eye for an instant when you mount the shotgun before you call for the bird to lock you brain into that sighting picture then open both eyes and ignore that other barrel.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5643 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
I use a Burris Fastfire III in the picatinny protector mount for by Beretta 1201FP. It comes in either 3 MOA or 8 MOA. Mine is 3MOA and I find it plenty fast up close while being precise enough at 50 yards. I recently took a class with it and was consistently near the top, in any drill.
I was not, before the optic.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This has noting to do with the original post, but not a chance I am using a holosun for anything given the country of origin. I don't care if they figure out how to out aimpoint aimpoint on reliability. just say no...

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
I use a Burris Fastfire III in the picatinny protector mount for by Beretta 1201FP. It comes in either 3 MOA or 8 MOA. Mine is 3MOA and I find it plenty fast up close while being precise enough at 50 yards. I recently took a class with it and was consistently near the top, in any drill.

Bruce

Could you link me to the mount you referenced for your 1201FP?

...that I will support
and defend...

Posts: 872 | Location: Northern VA | Registered: July 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CAPT Obvious
Picture of Spiff_P239
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RobLew:
quote:

Bruce

Looks like this one: https://www.burrisoptics.com/m...inny-protector-mount

Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:
First off I'm coming at this question from the Sporting side of shotgun shooting. BTW, that means I break little round disks 108mm in diameter and moving somewhere in the range or 30-75 mph.

Anyhow, my point is why do you want to put an optical sight on a shotgun. You will NEVER be able to hit a true pair using an optical sight.

Pretty sure the OP isn't asking about breaking clays with an 18.5" gun that comes with rifle sights from the factory, and with buck at the ranges that gun is intended for, his patterns will be less than 6", so the gun is more like an overgrown rifle....

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Spiff_P239:
quote:
Originally posted by RobLew:
quote:

Bruce

Looks like this one: https://www.burrisoptics.com/m...inny-protector-mount

Yup, that's the one. Low enough. Light enough. Keeps me from breaking the optic.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post