SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    870/590 Detachable mag ?'s
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

870/590 Detachable mag ?'s Login/Join 
posted
I'm just curious as to what purpose the old tube magazine serves on these shotguns? Is it still useable? The 870 has the standard tube, and the 590 appears to have the extended mag tube.

Posts: 467 | Location: California | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe they still need the mag tube in place to stabilize the forearm as you cycle the action. It also needs the threaded tube cap to keep the barrel secured into the receiver.

I doubt that the tube is functional as the lifter required to raise the shells out of the tube and up to the chamber would be in the way of the magazine to feed the shells.

The extended mag tube on the 590 may be to help balance the gun since all the rounds are now sitting back and below the chamber area, but that is just a guess.

Posts: 80 | Registered: July 21, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can say for sure the 870DM tube is not usable for loading. But its still used for operation of the foreend. Not sure exactly how you might imagine one would use the gun if it were not there?

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
quote:

I believe they still need the mag tube in place to stabilize the forearm as you cycle the action. It also needs the threaded tube cap to keep the barrel secured into the receiver.
I doubt that the tube is functional as the lifter required to raise the shells out of the tube and up to the chamber would be in the way of the magazine to feed the shells.

Yes, those are the only two functions of the mag tube.
There is a pin through the receiver end of the mag tube on the 870, so you couldn't put a shell in it anyway.

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post