SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Ruger introduces a new toy
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger introduces a new toy Login/Join 
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
Probably not but I know I'm not the only one to think that. It's tiring when companies don't show rimfire rifles the same respect they do centerfires. no reason to make them so cheaply.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:
quote:
Originally posted by Jus228:
Bad move on the stock. Doesn't look like you can swap in AR stocks. RPR shooters will want to duplicate their centerfire and use this for a trainer.

I don't think that's going to be the issue you make it out to be.

quote:
Originally posted by Jus228:
Probably not but I know I'm not the only one to think that. It's tiring when companies don't show rimfire rifles the same respect they do centerfires. no reason to make them so cheaply.

The shooters I've seen who own the RPR centerfire rifles have kept their factory RPR stocks. In many ways, the Ruger rimfire's stock looks pretty similar to that of the RPR. IMO those with RPRs will appreciate the budget Ruger trainer rimfire as it is.

There's only so much a company can do to design and equip a rifle that will retail for $400 to $500. That's just part of the game.

There's a limited market for shooters wanting Remy 40-XB or Vudoo V-22 rifles -- rimfire training rifles that will almost exactly mimic precision center fire rifles. Many people won't invest $4,000-ish on a precision rifle. Asking them to consider that amount of cash on a 22lr may produce some colorful language. And yes, I know about this first hand. I invested in a Remy 40-XB rifle last year, knowing that the only part of the gun I would use is the action.

I think Ruger has done well with its value-line rifles. I hope they sell well, and that Ruger continues to offer additional products.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I think I kinda like it. Probably won't be buying one, but it's not out of the question.

quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
There's only so much a company can do to design and equip a rifle that will retail for $400 to $500. That's just part of the game.
Many people won't invest $4,000-ish on a precision rifle. Asking them to consider that amount of cash on a 22lr may produce some colorful language.

Indeed.

It's like my S&W M&P 15-22. It's got plastic bits where my real AR has aluminium ones, and various other cost-savings measures. But it's "close enough" to the Real Deal, it's a hoot to shoot, and I wouldn't have paid $1000+ to get an AR-pattern .22 cal. rimfire.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
4-H Shooting
Sports Instructor
Picture of Zecpull
posted Hide Post
I have the RPR in 6.5 .. and this looks identical. I want one ..I have one on order and there is a waiting list. under $400 for an adjustable rim fire is perfect. It takes 10/22 mags.. I have a 77/22 and I am guessing this is more accurate than that. The trigger looks good.. I will give a range report asap.

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but
> because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Life member
NRA Pistol instructor...and Range Safety instructor
Women On Target Instructor.

Posts: 9071 | Location: Wooster,Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Picked mine up yesterday. I won't get a chance to shoot for awhile, it's for my son and am keeping it hid out. I have a bipod to put on and the scope to mount. First impression from me is good, he is going to love it.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post