SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    picked up a KAC SR-25
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

picked up a KAC SR-25 Login/Join 
Picture of PGT
posted
I've been jonesing for an AR10 for awhile. Figured this would scratch the itch. Also snagged three NOS normal style mags for $150 (about half off and also Vero Beach labels on them)

Posts: 3065 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
I remember when they first were available. The shop I worked for sold a few Mk11 Mod O packages. Beautiful rifles. I should have saved my shekels and bought one. Settled for an SR-15 M4.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
The build quality is evident.

Nice rifle.

Very interesting, that knurled piece in front of the gas block. Is that threaded with a detent button, as a method of retaining the gas block?

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
Very nice! Any plans to thread the barrel and suppress? I came close to an SR25 but settled on the LMT MWS. Maybe one day Wink

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3585 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR025
posted Hide Post
Drool, great pics and congrats!

Posts: 840 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 04, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of samnev
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR025:
Drool, great pics and congrats!

+1 Let us know how it shoots if you do shoot it.

Posts: 1836 | Location: Arizona | Registered: June 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
That's OG!

Very sweet!!!

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is a thing of beauty.

Posts: 1562 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by samnev:
Let us know how it shoots if you do shoot it.
Eek
It would be a travesty not to shoot an SR-25. Such rifles shouldn't be safe queens.

A few years ago I shot an SR-25 in a precision rifle course held by Rifles Only. One of the instructors was Nick Irving, who had just finished his duty as a Ranger Sniper. Nick shot an SR-25 the entire 4 days of the course. The KAC was loaned to him by the land owner for the range. About half of the students took the offer to shoot the SR-25 and compare (a) the results of the SR-25 to our own bolt action rifles and (b) our targets with the SR-25 to Nick's targets with the SR-25. Pretty much an eye-opening experience.

BTW, Nick's primary sniper weapon was an SR-25. Pretty certain it had a few more dings in it than the one he borrowed here for the course....

The KAC SR-25 is really a fine rifle. It is quite accurate, cycled flawlessly (as expected), seems to be built like a tank, and has nice feel.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I've come close to pulling the trigger on a newer SR-25, but with the range I have available to shoot it would be wasted around here.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Sweet! The old school versions are what I desire as well.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pepsiblue
posted Hide Post
Very sexy!!

10mm lays waste to entire cities, cuts through diamonds and will tear Superman a new asshole. - Parabellum

Sex offenders can not be rehabilitated. It's in their wiring. They should not be released back into the general public. On the other hand they should not be warehoused either. I think they should be executed.....Spectre

When someone tries to kill you, it doesn't matter how they are doing it. You're in mortal danger, and it's time to try to kill them back.

Arc.
___

Kill every last one of these goddamned animals. We need a president with balls. We need leadership. We should be carpet bombing these barbarians wherever we find them, and we should be looking for them 24/7. We have to unleash Hell upon them. They understand nothing but death, so death is what we should bring them, wholesale.... Para

I left "practical" behind many years ago. It was covered with my first Glock 19. (Fredward)

Posts: 2490 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: July 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
Vero Beach!

Leupold MK IV 10x M3?

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11143 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When i lived in ct, a local vet sold his two kac 25's.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
I do intend to shoot it...its used after all, not a safe queen.

I've been looking to source a period correct KAC suppressor for it since the barrel is already threaded, just in a different way (threads are by the gas block). If not, I might consider threading the original barrel but most likely will upgrade to the newer style gas block for the current KAC suppressor. That might require some barrel modifications so will have to think that over.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:
I do intend to shoot it...its used after all, not a safe queen.

I've been looking to source a period correct KAC suppressor for it since the barrel is already threaded, just in a different way (threads are by the gas block). If not, I might consider threading the original barrel but most likely will upgrade to the newer style gas block for the current KAC suppressor. That might require some barrel modifications so will have to think that over.

Beautiful early SR25 you have there, congratulations!

KAC stopped using the gasblock to mount the suppressor several iterations ago. I believe the last was the EMC which used the m110 type can that mounted to the gasblock. The ECC retained this same gasblock, but was what the QDC type flash hider was debuted on. Current KAC cans are the QDC series and mount to their specific flash hider or MAMS.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2314 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Yeah...none of its easy if the rifle didn't come with the correct can. Might just leave that alone vs. messing with the gun.

Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
Their built for the FMG 168, if you load that's Sierra's 168 HPBTM, the 1/11.5 twist would take out dandelions and bumblebees at 300 yards, it might have done better but that's all the range I had.

I've had 2, the first I bought brand new from a dealer in Hawaii for $3500 in 97, the second was well used but still nearly as accurate ... and that could have been me. Both were the most soft shooting 308 I've ever had.

If you need more of those waffle mags I think I've got a few left, email me if you're interested, I'll see what I've got. I may have a copy of the operators manuel, load data and what-not

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimberkid:
Their built for the FMG 168

Are you certain of that?

Nick Irving stated his duty ammo was a 175 HPBT load, IIRC from Lake City. Essentially FGMM 175, but a little hotter. At the course which Nick instructed, I brought both my 308 and 6.5 bolt action rifles. Once I realized we could shoot the KAC, I brought both FGMM 168 and FGMM 175 ammo. We shot both 308 ammo types in my bolt gun and in the SR-25.

There was no discernible accuracy differences between 168 and 175 in the SR-25 at 100-300 yards. From 300-750 yards, the 175 held vertical slightly better and was noticeably less affected horizontally by wind drift. I don't recall that anyone shot the SR-25 at the 800-1000 yard targets. Nick was emphatic that he would not shoot it past 750 yards. He said the KAC had a max effective range of 700 meters while on duty, and he stuck to that.

I have never measured the 168/175 rounds to see how or if they differ, but they sure look similar to me. I have mixed them up before in a mag -- found out at distance (500+ yards) when targets have an unexpected high or low impact.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Kimber is probably talking about the old SR25 Match and Sporters.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post