SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Scope Mounting Problem
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scope Mounting Problem Login/Join 
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted
I have a mid '80s Winchester 70 in .300 Win Mag, so it's a push feed gun. It came to me (used) with those execrable Holden IronSighter ultra high rings on it. I have taken them off, and put on Leupold two piece bases (appropriate for the gun, per the labeling) with Leupold dovetail rings.

The problem is, the gun is shooting so low, I can't dial enough "up" into the Leupold VX II to be even remotely close to on target. I mean, I'm 6" low at 25 and 8" low at 50, so I am a long way off.

What's going on? Is there a shim kit for the rear mount, should I take the front mount off and see if there's a burr making it ride high on the receiver, or is there something else funky going on.

The rifle is accurate and consistent; when I shot it with the Holden rings, it performed flawlessly, it was just horribly uncomfortable and hard to get a good cheek weld and sight picture.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Is there a front and back base? And are they oriented properly? I remember something special about my 70 bases. They are the double dovetail type.

All I got.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5130 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reflex/deflex 64:
Is there a front and back base?

Ooh: Good question.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What model number bases did you get?

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
Get and use a something like the Wheeler Engineering Scope Ring Alignment Tool. I made mine up after seeing the Brownells one about 25 years ago. They will show problems if you have them when scope mounting.

These are for 1" rings they also make them for 30MM.

https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...ing-alignment-tool-1

https://www.brownells.com/guns...nt-rods-prod833.aspx

Posts: 2675 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
There is a front mount and a rear mount. I got the ones with the windage adjustment screws, so that is clearly the rear mount.

ETA, I'll see if I still have the packaging or invoice as that will have the model number on them.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did you play around with that old vxII before taking it off? I wonder if it was already bottomed out before.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I have zerosd that Scope on multiple rifles, it's in like new condition and has had an easy life.
I don't think there's anything wrong with the scope.

Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
Artie, what newmexican is saying is the adjustment on the scope may have been bottomed out already. The way to check for where the reticle is, is to crank the adjuster all the way down, then crank it all the way up counting the rotations on the way up. Then back the adjuster back down by half of the number you counted. That should put the reticle at the mid point of adjustment.

I would suggest you scrap the two piece bases and rings and go to a EGW one piece base (1913 type) 20moa high. My 2 cents.

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2667 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
There’s a simple way to center the reticle in the scope that was explained to me by a Leupold tech.

Remove any lens caps or sunshades and place a mirror against the front lens ring. In looking through the scope you should be able to see the reticle and a reflection of the reticle. Turn the elevation and windage adjustments until the reticle and the reflection coincide. The reticle is then centered in the scope.

I’ve found it’s easier to see the reflection of the reticle with some scopes than with others, and it some times helps to vary the magnification power.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
should I take the front mount off and see if there's a burr making it ride high on the receiver, or is there something else funky going on.

Or a bump or flat spot on the inside of the front ring that's preventing the scope from sitting down as far as it should?

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by beltfed21:
Artie, what newmexican is saying is the adjustment on the scope may have been bottomed out already. The way to check for where the reticle is, is to crank the adjuster all the way down, then crank it all the way up counting the rotations on the way up. Then back the adjuster back down by half of the number you counted. That should put the reticle at the mid point of adjustment.

I understand. I used that method to return the scope to midpoint for both windage and elevation before installing it in the new rings.

I agree that a one piece base may be a better option and will consider that as a potential solution.

As Expert308 Notes, there may also be a flat spot in the ring that is keeping it from seating properly.

Thanks for all the suggestions; I will keep at it a bit and see if I can find a solution before I start replacing parts.