SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Bayonet experts: What US model do I have?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bayonet experts: What US model do I have? Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
I believe your top picture shows the Alice clip attachment.

The various scabbards for the M1 and M1905 bayonets did not use ALICE clips. They predate the ALICE system by several decades. (ALICE gear wasn't adopted until 1973.)

The original M1905 scabbard, as shown with the dark leather covering, had a metal loop belt attachment. Starting with the M1910 scabbard, the lighter canvas covered one, the military switched to a system utilizing metal eyelets on the belt that mated with double metal attachment hooks on gear.

That hook and eyelet system continued with the various later bayonet scabbards, like the M3 scabbard as shown in the OP. That was true even for the bayonets for the M16 used with the ALICE system, and continued until the switch to MOLLE gear in the 2000s. (So there aren't even any later US bayonet scabbards that incorporated ALICE clips.)

Here's a better look at the belt attachment for the early M1905 scabbard:

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RogueJSK,

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Thank you again Rogue. Think that later belt is called equipment belt. Ive had them from different eras. Mounted a SAW pouch on one which held 7 x 30 GI M16 magazines nicely. Your photos in the last post aren't showing.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Pics fixed.

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Thank you again Rogue. A pretty nice example.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post