SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    3-year Winchester Mini-Defender shotgun project finally done
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

3-year Winchester Mini-Defender shotgun project finally done Login/Join 
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted
Oy... what a relief. I've been piecing this project together for years, and finally got the 8-shot mag tube installed to match the 20-gauge Defender barrel which I got for a good price and which started this all off. The paint or park on the mag tube was slightly larger in diameter than the blued original tube so getting it back into the receiver was a royal pain. I broke my rubber mallet and, despite attempting to protect the cap from impact, caved it in a little and buckled the very end of the mag tube during reinstallation. My fault for sure, but that sucker didn't want to move. Perhaps a hydraulic press would have been better but whatever.

Finding the correct, threaded, one piece, 20-gauge mag tube throats was actually the hardest part at the time, and even so I had to modify the throat slightly (there was a superfluous molding or locating tab on the bottom and the forward edges were proud of the receiver. I imagine it may have been for a 1400 or some other model, or it may just be that they all need some fitting. Anyway it's in.

To solve the bulged/mangled end of the mag tube I simply cut off .20" and dressed the threads, after which the barrel ring passed through easily and the cap threaded right on.

LOP is 13" with the "Youth" model furniture and the reach to the forend is much less than on the full sized Defender or standard 1200/1300 models. OAL is about 3'. It weighs 6 lbs 3 oz. empty. It feeds properly and shoots great! The drop at comb is too low for me so I have to hold the butt higher on my shoulder, and the pointy bottom end of the recoil pad stabs me, but no biggie. With its cylinder bore, birdshot is already at about 3' across the pattern at 18 yards so it's definitely a close-in gun. I'll have to try to find some buck. Anyway, just wanted to share. Probably could have saved a hundred bucks and 3 years of time by just buying a complete Defender to start with, but where's the fun in that? Roll Eyes

Before and after

Before

after

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3202 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Awesome.
There are adhesive cheek pads to get your cheek weld right.

Different thicknesses are available.
https://kickeezproducts.com/recoil-pads/cheek-eez/

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Since the shotguns are primarily for my youngins I'll see what they think before altering them, but those look cool for when they grow up! Might get a better recoil pad also... this thang bites a mite. Big Grin

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3202 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I need an emoji for running around with my hands flapping in the air.

OMG OMG OMG OMG

The Defender is one of my favorite shotguns. I have a couple of 12 gauges, and a 20 gauge is on the wish list.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very nice, It has that cool classic look to it. Sounds like you did some good work to get it there.

Posts: 4578 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post