SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Changing barrels on Winchester Model 12 - anything to be aware of?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Changing barrels on Winchester Model 12 - anything to be aware of? Login/Join 
posted
Are there any issues to be aware of, adjustments to perform, or checks to be made when changing out shotgun barrels?

kz1000's thread about his M12 got me thinking about getting a shorter barrel for mine and I'm curious if there is any gunsmithing work involved.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: marksman41,

Posts: 4981 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
As long as the barrels are made for whatever model of shotgun you own, and are in spec, they should drop in. Especially on basic pump shotguns.

The main thing to double-check is what length of shells your receiver can handle, and what length of shells your barrel can handle.

For example, it's possible to install a 3" Magnum barrel onto a receiver that can only handle 2.75" shells. And vice versa.

Posts: 32494 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good to know - thanks!

Posts: 4981 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
Just make sure the bolt is about half way open.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Citadel
posted Hide Post
One of the things they taught with the Benelli shotgun was to drop the bolt a few times. It would help seat the barrel as the bolt was a rotary lug and it Would pull the barrel in tight. I have an 11-87 I do the same thing and then tighten down the nut for the magazine tube.

Posts: 823 | Registered: February 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Shotgun barrels" is pretty broad, which is why you haven't got very good advice so far. The Winchester Model 12 barrel has a wear adjustment sleeve to ensure a tight joint between the receiver extension and the receiver. Understanding how this works is necessary to performing a proper Model 12 barrel replacement. You don't say if you're looking at a complete barrel/magazine/action slide assembly or just the barrel. In any case, I would HIGHLY recommend getting a copy of the "Sequence of Take-Down and Assembly Operations, Model 12 Slide Action Repeating Shotgun". This is a copy of the original factory shop manual for the Model 12. I've had mine for so many years that I've forgotten where I got it from, but I think it was Brownell's.

The Model 12 is a different animal than the other types mentioned and requires some different techniques.

Posts: 783 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info., mesabi. I wasn't aware of the adjustment sleeve for the M12 and I will search for that manual.

Very glad you posted here. Thanks again!

Edit to add:

Just ordered the Model 12 manual and "The Winchester Model 12", by George Madis.

Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
Several years ago I wanted a shorter barrel for my MDL 12. I did not want to chop the 30" full choke barrel that was the factory barrel.
I found a 24" barrel with an adjustable choke.
Through my research I found as was stated in this thread, you must have a barrel fitted to the model 12.
I sent my MDL 12 to Simmons on Olathe KS with both barrels. They fitted the new barrel and engraved a matching serial number to it (to match the receiver)I now have a matched set of barrels.
Simmons work was well done and there cost was reasonable.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: armored,

Posts: 4622 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, changing Model 12 barrels isn't like switching barrels on a Remington 870 or Mossberg 500. There's a lot of hand fitting parts on Model 12's and even replacing a firing pin can require hand fitting.

Posts: 937 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the gunsmith recommendation, armored. I've saved them to favorites. I remember from years back that Wright's, Inc. was a go-to 'smith for shotguns in general, and M12s in particular. Unfortunately he died a few years ago and his shop closed.

I've heard that his son is still doing shotgun work somewhere in Mississippi but don't know where or how his work is regarded, so it's nice to have the name of a gunsmith repair company that's been in business for decades and from someone with positive personal experience with them.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Edit to add:

Just ordered the Model 12 manual and "The Winchester Model 12", by George Madis.

Glad you found them. I dug out my manual and found a receipt from CSMC/Galazan's inside, but I see that they're available from other sources. The Madis book is a great reference. The factory manual is amazing to me in that they had a guy doing pencil drawings that seem to be more useful than photographs; and he did them for quite a few Winchester models.

I can recommend "St. Hubert's Custom Guns" in Kansas; they've done some very nice Model 12 work and restoration. I'm not sure if they have a web presence; but if you need contact info, let me know.

Posts: 783 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post