SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Slinging/Carrying A Levergun?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Slinging/Carrying A Levergun? Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted
So I've got the Marlin 45 Colt levergun I asked about. (Did pop for the "CB" version, RK, and glad I did!)

Being the "CB" version: I does not have sling swivels. I could add sling swivels. I could go with a solution that doesn't require them. Or I could go with something like Mernickle Holsters' Field Carry "backpack".

It looks like a neat idea--though I'd worry about a buttstock sticking up as far as the lower left-hand image on that page if I was riding a four-wheeler in the woods. I sense the possibility of disaster should you forget it's back there, go to duck under low-hanging tree branches, and...

Thoughts?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
I always liked the idea of the leather slings for leverguns that dont reqiire any alteratils or drilling. It wraps around the stock and loops arouns the mag tube.

Like This one.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
It looks like that backpack system was originally meant for short "Mare's Leg" lever guns. So while a full size lever rifle will fit, I have to wonder how awkward drawing the full-length barrel from the scabbard would be...

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
It looks like that backpack system was originally meant for short "Mare's Leg" lever guns. So while a full size lever rifle will fit, I have to wonder how awkward drawing the full-length barrel from the scabbard would be...

looks like the front sight, esp with a hood, may catch when you draw

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PorterN:
I always liked the idea of the leather slings for leverguns that dont reqiire any alteratils or drilling. It wraps around the stock and loops arouns the mag tube.

Like This one.

Thanks for the pointer, PorterN. Maybe I'll go that way, instead.

quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
... I have to wonder how awkward drawing the full-length barrel from the scabbard would be...

Well, 20" carbine, but, still: Yeah.

quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
looks like the front sight, esp with a hood, may catch when you draw

Good point. No hood on the CB, but, still...

That's why I asked. Maybe not as good an idea as it looked at first blush.

Thanks, guys.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At one time, Williams or Uncle Mikes made a special sling mount that attached to the magazine tube. I used these for years. I made sure I attached it close to the forearm for better support. Then a standard drill in mount was used for the stock.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:

Like This one.

Or perhaps not. They don't list the Marlin 1894 as one for which they make a sling harness.

sick puppy
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Like This one.

Or perhaps not. They don't list the Marlin 1894 as one for which they make a sling harness.

Crap. I have a win and a marlin. I was going to get one for both. But i dont want to drill my stocks either so i want to go with the wraps and clips

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Crap. I have a win and a marlin. I was going to get one for both. But i dont want to drill my stocks either so i want to go with the wraps and clips

I dropped 'em a line via their contact form to ask about it. I'll let you know what they say.

They do list availability for 336s in a couple calibers. Which is weird, because, going by Marlin's site, they all have sling swivels.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Many of the older 336s didn't come with sling swivels.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post