SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Reviews of Tikka T3x TAC A1 rifles in 6.5 Creedmoor and 308 Win. (New shooting results page 8, 22Nov23.)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reviews of Tikka T3x TAC A1 rifles in 6.5 Creedmoor and 308 Win. (New shooting results page 8, 22Nov23.) Login/Join 
Picture of rockchalk06
posted Hide Post
I bought 200 rounds of the 140 ELD match for my HMR in 65 Creed. It would hold some really decent groups.

I'm working with some SMK's and Nosler CC's in 140 grain now, but I plan on keeping the remaining 100 rounds of ELD Match on hand just to have. Never had factory ammo shoot so well in a stock weapon.

Posts: 1363 | Location: OK | Registered: April 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Added photo to first post showing latest mods and dress.

I should not just give up on the lighter bullets, so thanks for those comments.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Bringing the thread back up in view of the continuing interest in Tikka rifles.

The latest cold, clean bore group at 100 yards with the T3x using Hornady 147 grain ELD Match from the bench. 0.529" or 0.505 MOA center to center.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting this user report. I find the part about not readily feeding a loose round, with the mag locked into place, to be interesting, and disappointing, as that capability could suddenly become quite desirable, during an urgent moment. (Well, maybe the need to emergency-load single cartridges into a long-range rifle, rather than do a magazine change, is very remote, compared to the need to emergency-load a buckshot shell or slug into the ejection port of an empty shotgun, but, yes, I reckon I concern myself, overly much, with such details.)

This discussion topic caught my attention, as there is an apparently quite nice, pre-owned Tikka CTR at a nearby firearms emporium, chambered for a cartridge that is actually readily available, in spite of the panic buying, at several ammo dealers, the .260 Remington.

I don’t see myself getting into serious long-range precision rifle shooting, anytime soon, but I reckon that a pre-owned CTR would be a cost-effective way to give it a try.

Have Colts, will travel

Posts: 3188 | Location: SE Texas | Registered: April 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rexster:
I find the part about not readily feeding a loose round, with the mag locked into place, to be interesting, and disappointing, as that capability could suddenly become quite desirable, during an urgent moment.

You are welcome. Hopefully these posts serve some useful purpose. Smile

To stress, though, some ammunition with sharp enough bullets does usually chamber without a problem if just dropped loose on top of the magazine. Hornady ammunition with ELD bullets can be loaded that way with my rifle. On the other hand, Federal Fusion ammunition whose bullets have larger, flatter meplats sometimes hangs up.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by Rexster:
I find the part about not readily feeding a loose round, with the mag locked into place, to be interesting, and disappointing, as that capability could suddenly become quite desirable, during an urgent moment.

You are welcome. Hopefully these posts serve some useful purpose. Smile

To stress, though, some ammunition with sharp enough bullets does usually chamber without a problem if just dropped loose on top of the magazine. Hornady ammunition with ELD bullets can be loaded that way with my rifle. On the other hand, Federal Fusion ammunition whose bullets have larger, flatter meplats sometimes hangs up.

Hornady ELD. Good to know. Thanks!

Have Colts, will travel

Posts: 3188 | Location: SE Texas | Registered: April 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, as of this morning, the CTR, that I was considering, changed to a “sale pending” status, so that particular specimen seems to be off the table. Such is life. I diverted my attention to ordering some PMAGs, for our AR15/M4 weapons. I will continue to follow Tikka user reports, and keep my eyes open for opportunities.

Thanks, again, for this useful discussion.

Have Colts, will travel

Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
So I am having a blast (pun intended?) with my Tikka T3x! earlier in the year I was considering getting a new tack driver, and was looking at .300 Win Mag or .300PRC (specifically a Barrett MRAD). I posted here in Mason's Rifle Room, and got many good comments from fritz and others. They fell in probably three camps: 1) Get what you want, you want a Barrett, get a Barrett, it will have good resale value too; 2) Consider getting something custom made; and 3) Much discussion about moving to 6.5 Creedmoor or 6mmBR. Well, I ended up with the Tikka T3x with Vortex Razor optics.

I went out shooting today, and I'm sitting here laughing at myself about how I shot. My best group was sub-1/4 MOA, and my worst about 1 MOA. I was really upset with shooting so bad, until I got to thinking that I used to consider 1 MOA quite exceptional. I'm really having a blast with this rifle!

Now I need to get out and shoot at distances longer than 100 yards. There's a place not overly far from me near Athens GA called Gun Site Hills that I'm interested in getting to....

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3294 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IntrepidTraveler:
(U)ntil I got to thinking that I used to consider 1 MOA quite exceptional.

Such a rifle changes one’s entire outlook, no? Wink

Congratulations on a fine acquisition.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
Yes, sir, it does! I'm (almost) at the point that it's the only thing I want to take to the range!

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3294 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
A bit more for those still interested in the rifle.

After checking the zero with new ammunition at 100 yards yesterday, I moved the target to 200 yards. Both groups were fired from the prone with bipod support. The upper group was fired with Hornady 147 grain “ELD Match TAP Precision” and the lower with my standby 147 grain ELD Match. The lower consists of only three shots because that was the last of the ammunition I’d taken to the range, not, “Dam’! I’d better stop shooting before I ruin that group.”

The TAP group measured about 1.1 inch center to center or about 0.53 minute of angle and the lower group was about 0.76" CTC, or about 0.36 MOA. (I did not attempt to hold for the 3 o’clock wind that was a little stronger for the upper group.)

As usual, single groups don’t prove much, but this rifle continues to more than satisfy my expectations.

Edited to emphasize that the pictured groups were fired from 200 yards.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sigfreund,

6.4/93.6

— Plato

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Back up for the continuing interest in Tikka rifles.

posted Hide Post
SF - Thanks Sir for bringing this back up to page one. This is the EXACT gun I want....Now to wipe the drool off the I-Pad so I can read this thread several times and learn from your experiences....Thanks Again...Mark

Posts: 3239 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I got mine from a nearby store as a trade, but one place to keep in mind is EuroOptic where I’ve purchased other rifles and scopes. It appears that the rifles are out of stock there, but perhaps that’s true of most places these days. They do have a “notify me” option, though, and in the past they’ve given me a bit of a discount if paying by check rather than credit card. They will ask for the bank and check information and do an immediate ACH transaction. It may be necessary to ask about it, though.

https://www.eurooptic.com/Tikk...5-Creedmoor-24-.aspx

posted Hide Post
Well dang. Went to EuroOptic and they have what I've wanted for a while in stock and on sale. $300 off. Started online chat and within 5 minutes deal is done. Not 6.5 CM but .308 Win.
Also have the scope I'm interested in but need to wait a bit. Thanks sigfreund for the heads up.

Posts: 39 | Location: SOKY | Registered: March 09, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SOKYSig:
[D]eal is done.

Join ussss; don't be afraid. Wink

Keep us posted. Smile
And care to tell us what scope?

posted Hide Post
Looking at the Steiner T5xi 5-25 x 56. If I'm going to spend money on an accurate, well-made rifle I need a complementary scope. Also like the multiple light levels.

Posts: 39 | Location: SOKY | Registered: March 09, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of huskerlrrp
posted Hide Post
I went the Tikka CTR 6.5 Creedmoor route with a Midas trigger and a KRG stock. They had the stainless CTR available at the local Beretta/Tikka distributor and I haven't warmed up to the chassis type stock. I've been pleased with although I might change the barrel. Consistently under 1 MOA as advertised. I think right at 1/2 MOA should be achievable.

https://imgur.com/a/KzW1BxW

https://imgur.com/3SAJFmG

https://imgur.com/a/BWSDevu

Posts: 1788 | Location: North Cackalacky | Registered: September 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Nice! Smile

posted Hide Post
I would like any opinions on the Vortex Viper PST Gen II 5-25x50mm Rifle Scope, Illuminated EBR-4 (MOA) Reticle PST-5251. This would be used on the Tikka T3x TAC A1 20" barrel .308 WIN. purchased from EuroOptic. I haven't received the rifle yet (due to be delivered to FFL tomorrow). There is one in stock and may be a suitable substitute for the Steiner T5xi I was looking at. Especially the price. Buy now or wait for the Steiner? Mounting ring recommendations? Thanks.