SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Tikka T3x TAC A1 chambered for 6.5 Creedmoor, a review. Added: single round loading block (magazine) for CTR, TAC, and UPR. **Plus more groups pg 2**
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tikka T3x TAC A1 chambered for 6.5 Creedmoor, a review. Added: single round loading block (magazine) for CTR, TAC, and UPR. **Plus more groups pg 2** Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
My experience with 6.5CM Bartlein barrels, using Hornady factory ammo.

#1 -- pulled at 3,236 rounds. It shot quite accurately out to 800-ish yards. In a match with two stages of 10 rounds at 1,000 yard targets, I experienced a few low impacts that couldn't be explained by wind, errors in my technique, or normal MV variations. I pulled the barrel, as I had an ELR match in the following month. My gunsmith stated this barrel was absolutely toast -- the bullet had a jump of at least an inch to the lands. He was surprised it still shot so well.

#2 -- pulled at 2,924 rounds. There were no issues with this barrel, at any distance. However, I pulled the barrel, as I had an ELR match in the following month. I did not want to take the chance of the barrel crapping out in the middle of a match. My gunsmith didn't look all that closely at this barrel's throat, but he said there was a noticeable amount of fire cracking.

Both barrels were used in field-type and PRS-type matches. Some stages got the barrels pretty hot, other stages were less demanding.

Posts: 6521 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Thanks, fritz; more good information.

“Caesar: Pardon him, Theodotus. He is a barbarian and thinks the customs of his tribe and island are the laws of nature.”
— George Bernard Shaw, Caesar and Cleopatra

Posts: 41879 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:

I believe I mentioned that. Wink

quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
The T3x magazines cannot be used in TRG rifles because of the rubber base plate, but TRG mags work fine in the T3x TAC A1.

Occasionally my reading comprehension just sucks! Thanks for not beating me up too badly about it. LOL

I saw identical magazines somewhere and thought the point might be worth making. I'm still a little tweaked at Sako.

The Tac A1 is a great rifle for sure that's also worth repeating! :-D

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 3869 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
A couple of more 5-shot groups from today to finish off a box.
Hornady 147 grain ELD Match, prone with bipod, 100 yards. (The other three groups not shown were with different ammunition.)

I can’t seem to hold all five shots. But even though the “flier” in the top group spoiled what seemed to be possible, that overall group was still less than 0.8 MOA. I continue to be amazed at what modern factory bone stock rifles and ammunition are capable of these days.

“Caesar: Pardon him, Theodotus. He is a barbarian and thinks the customs of his tribe and island are the laws of nature.”
— George Bernard Shaw, Caesar and Cleopatra

Posts: 41879 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post