SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Franklin Armory Binary Trigger outruns Full Auto M4
Page 1 2 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Franklin Armory Binary Trigger outruns Full Auto M4 Login/Join 
Rock Paper
Scissors
Lizard Spock
Picture of James in Denver
posted
I remember from other discussions that some people don't like these "trick" triggers. That said, WOW!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcLGRZfX5C0

Just wow! Smile

James in Denver

----------------------------
"Voldemorte himself created his worst enemy, just as tyrants everywhere do! Have you any idea how much tyrants fear the people they oppress? All of them realize that, one day, amongst their many victims, there is sure to be one who rises against them and strikes back!"
Book 6 - Ch 23

Posts: 4484 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2009Report This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
It isn't a matter of it being a trick. It is what will the ATF say when enough people start acting stupid with this and decides to say "NFA Item! No Stamp, no freedom for you!"

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Report This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
My concerns don't reside primarily with BATFE's opinons, rather they're centered around training.

The use of this trigger goes against years of training and conditioning for the the vast majority of shooters. We even have one of the four fundamental rules that implies: if you don't want to shoot, take your finger off the trigger.

I understand that people who use these devices can choose to be selective and that there is a setting on the selector that allows you to effectively decock the trigger.

IMO, it's one of those "just because you can..." ideas.

I could make a left-side drive car that has the gas pedal on the left and the brake on the right. There might be some good reasons for doing so? Maybe the car woudl go faster? But over all, most drivers will not be conditioned to safely operate such a pedal arrangement and when they default to their conditioned responses, bad things can happen.

If you want one in your gun, I'm not saying it should be illegal.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Report This Post
posted Hide Post
When I saw it I thought "Cool" but it seemed like Accidental Discharges waiting to happen. What LDD said explains exactly why - It goes totally against your fundamental training.

My Conclusion: At $495 it's too expensive and potentially dangerous to consider it on any of my AR's.

Just my 2cents worth..........

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

No more Mr. Nice Guy
Picture of cobrajet
posted Hide Post
I just can't see a $500 just to be cool or fun. Yes I've shot full auto, yes I've shot stuff like slide fire (which was surprisingly easy to control), but while these might be fun every now and then, I fail to see any practical use. Just my opinion.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The problem with our Liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, it's that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan

Posts: 12401 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: November 20, 2012Report This Post
posted Hide Post
+1 for LDD's response.

I've had an ND in competition, using a traditional AR-15 setup. I was flustered, had trouble finding the steel targets at distance, was under heavy time pressure, wasn't shooting well, and needed to turn the stage over to my partner. Fortunately I had the rifle pointed in a safe direction and no truly serious issues occurred.

I could see NDs being much more common in similar conditions with a binary trigger.

Who knows what the agency boys think about the binary trigger, but IMO videos that compare it to a full auto aren't the best form of PR.

Posts: 7871 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Report This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
One of those things that would be great to own for an afternoon.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Report This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
It didn't actually shoot faster than the full auto. The guy just had a marginally better reaction time.

That said, I still think it's cool, and I wouldn't mind throwing one in a "toy" rifle.

Too bad they are like $500..............

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Report This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
Cheaper than a stamp and a DIAS for a range toy, right?

Posts: 6030 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Report This Post
Picture of dwd1985
posted Hide Post
Cool trigger.

Annoying video.

Posts: 4454 | Registered: October 28, 2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LDD:
My concerns don't reside primarily with BATFE's opinons, rather they're centered around training.

The use of this trigger goes against years of training and conditioning for the the vast majority of shooters. We even have one of the four fundamental rules that implies: if you don't want to shoot, take your finger off the trigger.

Depends how it's used. If one plans to return the trigger forward and come off the trigger, then there will be at least two shots every time and one still has the same basic practice; don't cover anything not intended to shoot, finger off the trigger until ready to fire, be sure of the backstop. Instead of a single shot, one depression and release of the trigger is two shots, effectively a double tap. A lot of folks put two rounds into the target anyway.

Not really a fundamental departure from the traditional safety rules or weapons handling. The only time it becomes an issue is if one wishes to stop shooting with the trigger held back, and that becomes a matter of training for what one shoots.

The question I'd have is why one would need to do a magazine dump for anything but expensive entertainment. There are very few situations in which single shot operation won't be more than adequate. Even the stop-gap measure between single shot and auto, the three round burst, is the proverbial answer to the question that didn't need asked. It's just as easily done on auto, or with proper trigger control with a single shot function.

The Franklin trigger will appeal to the bump fire crowd.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dwd1985:
Annoying video.
I'm right there with you.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107551 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by dwd1985:
Annoying video.
I'm right there with you.

This video reminds me of when people first learn power point and spend more time working on the form of their slides rather than the content. Shit's flying in from the top, disappearing in to triangles, rotating 360* in from the middle, peeling off like someone is turning a page, then moving back up vertically. Just type the shit on the slide and move on.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Report This Post
Picture of Billy346
posted Hide Post
I read in an article somewhere that this binary trigger can cause jams in some rifles depending on the setup. Something about the trigger mechanism operating too fast for the rest of the rifle.

Like others have said, it might be a fun range toy, but nothing beyond that. Just imagine if you ever got into a defensive shooting with that thing. The criminal's defense lawyer would probably have a field day!

"Like a horse has its rider, and the sky has its moon, a man has his loneliness, mistaken as pride." -Longmire

Posts: 539 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: January 19, 2013Report This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Billy346:
I read in an article somewhere that this binary trigger can cause jams in some rifles depending on the setup. Something about the trigger mechanism operating too fast for the rest of the rifle.

Like others have said, it might be a fun range toy, but nothing beyond that. Just imagine if you ever got into a defensive shooting with that thing. The criminal's defense lawyer would probably have a field day!

Yeah you can over-run them with the trigger. There is another product that does the same thing but they've engineered a fix for it. The Fostech Echo.

Mac at Military Arms Channel did a few vids on it.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Report This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
Good lord what an irritating video. I liked the comment that the rifle with the trigger was "accurate too". Impressive accuracy with a rifle at 10 yards. Roll Eyes

Posts: 3435 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Report This Post
No more Mr. Nice Guy
Picture of cobrajet
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
One of those things that would be great to own for an afternoon.

My thoughts exactly. Fun for a day shooting then the novelty wears off

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The problem with our Liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, it's that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan

Posts: 12401 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: November 20, 2012Report This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
If you've got a lot of money to blow, someone makes a belt fed upper, complete with a quick change barrel. Put that upper on a lower with thus trigger, you have a legal SAW with no paperwork.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Report This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Is that the "Amazing Allison" who was a contestant on Penn and Teller's Fool Us?

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16334 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
My $150.00 Slidefire doesn't shoot much slower than either. Has been around for 6+ years, and doesn't have the multiple spring/disconector issues that some of the current stuff has. The boys can nix something on a whim as some body stated. IMHO once you interject the double disconectors and/or springs, you are just awaiting a NFA ruling.