SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Savage/RemAge Barrel Removal and Install video
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Savage/RemAge Barrel Removal and Install video Login/Join 
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted
I tried to make it very thorough and cover things I haven't seen in other videos. I really like the PTG action wrench.

The same process works for people looking to install a Savage style barrel and barrel nut on their Remington 700.

Tony.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: benny6,

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5396 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for making this video. I am a fan of Savages as well and am looking at replacing a barrel in the future. This video was very informative and showed me exactly what I wanted to know.

Thanks for pointing out about the tolerance needed between the bolt face and the barrel, and the fact that you could be bottoming out on the barrel and not the headspace gauge if you do not check the measurements. That is something that I had never thought about and also something that I have not seen discussed before when others have talked about swapping barrels out on Savage rifles. Everyone says "remove the old barrel,throw a headspace gauge in and screw the new barrel in until it stops on the gauge."

Thank you for sharing your knowledge and skills with your videos.

Posts: 80 | Registered: July 21, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
That's one of the reasons I made the video. I have my own information that I believe is detrimental to the proper building of a rifle and I have never seen that mentioned in any other video.

I'm glad you found the information helpful. My mission has already been accomplished.

Tony.

Posts: 5396 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ed308
posted Hide Post
Great video. I saved it for when I replace the barrel on a Savage 10T .308. Looking forward to the video on the PTG bolt head. I need to replace one that has become pitted due to use with Winchester primers. Not sure what is involved and if I need to use gauges to set headspace.

Posts: 605 | Location: DFW Area | Registered: January 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ed308:
Great video. I saved it for when I replace the barrel on a Savage 10T .308. Looking forward to the video on the PTG bolt head. I need to replace one that has become pitted due to use with Winchester primers. Not sure what is involved and if I need to use gauges to set headspace.

For the PTG bolt, I'd make sure the bolt face depth is around 0.115" deep. You'll need to verify firing pin protrusion and set the headspace with the new bolt. The bolt lugs on PTG bolt heads are usually longer than standard Savage bolt heads.

I'd also contact Winchester about blown primers. I had blown primers with Winchester WLR's a few years ago and there was a bad batch of WLR's. I'll never use WLR's again. They paid me cash to replace a TRW bolt in my LRB M14 that I had collected parts for and had custom built as well as the gunsmith fee to install the new bolt (I wasn't building rifles yet). They may pay for your rifle to be repaired.

They also had me send in the remaining primers I had and they sent me a new case of replacement primers. This was during the great reloading shortage of 2013, so I said I had plenty of rifle primers but was short on pistol primers. As compensation, they sent me a case of WSP's instead of WLR's.

Picture of ed308
posted Hide Post
Thanks. 2013 is when I got those primers. My bolt's not too bad.

Posts: 605 | Location: DFW Area | Registered: January 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post