SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Sig 716 Patrol Gen 1 new to me acquisition information welcome
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig 716 Patrol Gen 1 new to me acquisition information welcome Login/Join 
Picture of 64TI
posted
I am going to acquire a Gen 1 Sig 716 Patrol rifle. Any information you have on the rifle is helpful. I am told it has just shy of 1,000 rounds through it. Pictures look good so I am spending my hard earned mechanic money on it. Thanks in advance.

"Buzzards got to eat, same as worms"

Posts: 785 | Location: Oklahoma City. Oklahoma | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
I used to have one.
It ate everything I fed it with zero issues.
Thing was a tank.
I only got rid of it because I hated the quad rail and there were no aftermarket replacements I liked.

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1539 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any idea on how well it shoots/groups?
Shot one this weekend with a friend who was trying to zero it for a customer. It was difficult.

GW.

Posts: 642 | Location: Auburn, AL | Registered: August 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of samnev
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fgwilliams1:
Shot one this weekend with a friend who was trying to zero it for a customer. It was difficult.

With a Bushnell Tactical Elite 3.5-21X50 G2DMR 1.25 moa 5 shot 100 yard groups with tailored 168 SMK hand loads or 168 grain FGMM on a good day..

Posts: 1836 | Location: Arizona | Registered: June 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fgwilliams1:

What was difficult about zero-ing it?

I've got a 716DMR gen1 ... as above, its a tank. I've got a 10x Super Sniper from the Sample List and I've still got 3-4 cases of surplus from the 90's and it shoots it 1 to 1.25" at 100 all day long. I haven't tried anything better in it ... problem is I've developed ostioprosis and doc said not to shoot anything with that much recoil ... been on meds to rebuild bone density but I don't get another reading until about this time next year so it just sits in the safe.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5705 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Difficult to get it to zero.
Recoil on that thing was a mule kick even with a can and a great support bag.
I'm thinking we were chasing too many variables at one time. It definitely did not like the ammo we were using.
Shots were varying four to six inches in the groups. I've seen my friend shoot a lot. Never seen him shoot that bad. My turn was better but we never got a consistent set of groups (shoot 3, no adjustments, shoot 3 more, not close to the last three shots).
Scope on it is a Trijicon.

GW.

Posts: 642 | Location: Auburn, AL | Registered: August 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gen 1 patrol is not the same barrel configuration as Gen 1 DMR. And there are sort of Gen 1 patrols and Gen 1.5 patrols.

Gen 1 patrols had some issues, one of which could be poor accuracy.

I had one that was ~2.5 MOA at best with FGM, 6-8 or more MOA with various bulk ammo. This with another setting right beside it that was under 1 MOA with FGM, and about 2-3 MOA at worst with various bulk ammo, while being under 2 MOA with most. Swap the uppers, optics, etc. around, and it followed the upper.

Sig said it was in spec.

Gen 1.5's had updates to the barrel and gas block.

I would not buy a true used Gen 1.0 without knowing I would be satisfied with the accuracy first.

Posts: 221 | Location: Michigan | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post