SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Palmetto Gen2 AR10, any one running one?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Palmetto Gen2 AR10, any one running one? Login/Join 
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted
I took advantage Of The PSA AR Christmas sales and jumped on the upper and lower AR10 Gen 2 MOE. Who's running these and how do you like them? An AR10 for under 600 bux, should I be skeert?

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one and it seems to be a nice rifle. Ive had mine for about 4 months and have only pulled the trigger 6 times. I must be the only person in the universe that doesn't care for the AR platform. I bought mine because it was cheapSmile

Posts: 1150 | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I snagged the complete lower and the 6.5 Creedmoor stainless barrel adjustable gas block, Mlock rail upper during this sale. Got a FFP Nikon mounted and a Dead Air brake on it this past weekend but haven't shot it yet. I got some 10rd LR Pmags and they fit great, drop free, and lock the bolt open. Also all the rounds I've tried seem to fit the mag so I hope to get some rounds out of it this weekend.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine has one and says he's happy with it. He reports flawless functioning and acceptable accuracy.

Posts: 937 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CAPT Obvious
Picture of Spiff_P239
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lopezp:
I must be the only person in the universe that doesn't care for the AR platform.

Nope, you're not the only one.

Posts: 3519 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Got my lower a few weeks ago. Dragging my feet on the upper but I’ll probab get it soon. Friend has one that he loves.

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
I ordered the upper, lower and a NB 5.56 bolt Monday night and the upper and the bolt have already shipped. They must have extra crew at PSA!

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of a Series
of Accidents
posted Hide Post
Very pleased with mine. I got a complete lower with the enhanced tripper and Magpul furniture, and the complete upper with an 18" stainless barrel and an M-Lok floating hand guard.

Had to file a bit on the bolt stop to get it to engage solidly and to keep it from contacting the outside of the upper, but that was the only quibble. Shoots groups of about 1.5 inches at a 100 yards.

I swapped out the gas block for an Odin Works adjustable gas block as I shoot the rifle suppressed.

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue." - Barry Goldwater

Posts: 1971 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: February 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Spiff_P239:
quote:
Originally posted by lopezp:
I must be the only person in the universe that doesn't care for the AR platform.

Nope, you're not the only one.

Not everyone is enamored by an AR-10 or AR-15. But I find it's often those with limited trigger time with the platform, and with limited understanding of the fundamentals of marksmanship -- which are necessary to exploit the platform's accuracy.

Shooters often feed an AR bargain FMJ ammo and expect great accuracy. Ain't hapnin'.

Shooters often scrimp on sights/optics, then expect great accuracy. Uh, no.

Shooters often try to pull the trigger as fast as possible, do mag dumps through pencil-profile barrels, shoot from poorly supported positions, and expect great accuracy. Ha!

It requires quality instruction, great trigger discipline, proper follow through after breaking the shot, and lots of practice to shoot an AR up to its potential. It's an interesting journey, but the results can be pretty amazing.

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Twist
posted Hide Post
I have one and am pretty pleased with it, though like TooTech I need to change the gas block as mine doesn't cycle properly when suppressed.

I did change the factory (non EPT) trigger out with a La Rue MBT and that was definitely a worthwhile upgrade.

Posts: 1931 | Location: NOT Houston, Tx (Thank God), but in the area. | Registered: May 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
This one is very tempting to me. I would jump on it but I'd have to get some glass for it.

Instead, I ended up with 3 stripped lower receivers that I'm trying to decide what to build with.

Posts: 13109 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
I would jump on it but I'd have to get some glass for it.

Instead, I ended up with 3 stripped lower receivers that I'm trying to decide what to build with.

Makes total sense. Especially that you now may have to buy 3 pieces of glass.

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:

I have an old EOtech I was going to throw on one, might build that with an 16" barrel. Another would be a pistol and the 3rd would be an 18" or 20" barrel with some glass.

Correct me if I'm wrong but with the range of the .308, it's best to use glass to see out that far, right? I can easily use iron sights for 300-350m with an AR.

Posts: 13109 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
The upper is out for delivery, the lower comes in December 26. Now to look for glass!

Beth Greene

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommydogg:
Now to look for glass!

What's your primary intent for the gun?
There are a lot of things to consider when choosing optics.

Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:

I have an old EOtech I was going to throw on one, might build that with an 16" barrel. Another would be a pistol and the 3rd would be an 18" or 20" barrel with some glass.

Correct me if I'm wrong but with the range of the .308, it's best to use glass to see out that far, right? I can easily use iron sights for 300-350m with an AR.

Necessity or lack thereof of glass revolves almost entirely upon intended use and target size.

Big steel gongs or full size IPSC paper targets, rock on with irons and you will be fine, until dusk.

Little steel plates at 300-400 yards? You will want some magnification or some high quality iron sights, probably aperture front and rear.

Not trying to be argumentative, but I often see the claim that hits can be made at 300-400 yards with a red dot just as well as with a magnified optic. Not to step on anyone's toes, but in large part these claims are BS.

Or maybe not. If your range has large rifle gongs, like 6 MOA or larger, the claim is probably true.

Now make the target a 3 MOA target, put it 425 yards away, make it gray instead of bright white, and put the sun in your eyes, and a target that you can't even find with an Aimpoint becomes hittable with a good magnified optic.

Shifting back to the original topic.

Those PSA AR10s are priced such, that it almost pains me not to snag one. They have gotten good reviews everywhere that I have looked.

As much as I would like to just press the easy button and buy one, I would RATHER snag a few more components going towards the 224 Valkyrie upper I want to finish.

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post