SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Seeking ARCA-SWISS information.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Seeking ARCA-SWISS information. Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted
Mostly in general. (I know there has been mention and bit of discussion about this in other threads, but I’d like to focus on the question in one place.)
I know that’s a very broad question, but if you are familiar with the system, what did you wish you knew before buying your accessories?

I am specifically interested in mounting rails that I can attach to the bottom of forends with M-LOK slots and run much of the full length. Right now I’m leaning toward the MDT offering because I have a CKYE-POD on order, but there are a few other options by other manufacturers that I have looked at. I see that fritz has a Henderson Precision rail, but are there reasons to chose one over another?

Also, I have been looking for something like a cover for an ARCA rail that would protect it when resting the rifle on a metal railing, for example. There are many such covers for Picatinny rail sections, but nothing I’ve found for the ARCA.

Thanks for the replies.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47399 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've shot your Tikka rifle, I'd prefer a Arca rail that is longer the the Tikka's hand-guard, push the bipod out further. YMMV.

https://www.sawtoothrifles.com...-rail-tikkat3xtaca1/

Really no way to protect the finish of a Arca rail. Tripod Arca clamp, sliding a bid-pod clamp is going to take off the finish. Rail covers would defeat the ability to quickly slide the bipod...

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that link. One of the rifles I intend to put a rail on is my TAC A1 and although it’s probably not necessary, that’s the first one I’ve seen that’s intended specifically for that rifle. But it’s on back order. Of course. Roll Eyes

A cover is not for when something is attached to the rail, and I know the finish will be affected by sliding the bipod back and forth, but just as I put covers on the current Picatinny rail sections, it’s for when the rail wouldn’t have anything attached to it. I know you PRS/NRL/PDQ shooters wouldn’t shoot without a bipod or bag under the rail, but I like the flexibility of not always doing that and that’s the reason for my quest. Wink

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47399 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:

I know you PRS/NRL/PDQ shooters wouldn’t shoot without a bipod or bag under the rail, but I like the flexibility of not always doing that and that’s the reason for my quest. Wink

Prefer "PMS" shooter Big Grin

Monthly 22 match I've been shooting for several years always has a V-Tac wall stage, no room for a bag, bipod...

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Also, I have been looking for something like a cover for an ARCA rail that would protect it when resting the rifle on a metal railing, for example. There are many such covers for Picatinny rail sections, but nothing I’ve found for the ARCA.

It's a gun. If you shoot it, it will show wear. If you cannot tolerate wear marks, just keep the rifle tucked in a blankie in the safe.

If you don't like metal on metal, then put a bag between the railing and the gun.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post