SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Aimpoint Pro or ?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Aimpoint Pro or ? Login/Join 
posted
Looking for a red dot for my Colt SBR and Aimpoint seems to be the consensus mostly. My question is go with the Pro or another model. The price seems to jump noticeably up after the Pro so wanted to get opinions. FYI this is primarily for HD as it’s my SBR. Thanks.

Posts: 1626 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
What about an EOTech? Seems like one would be good for your intended use. Very fast.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why on earth would anyone ever, ever, buy an eotech again after the debacle of zero shifting and coverup? But to the OP there is no reason the Pro won't be perfect. There are some advantages in other models for way more money but none of them matter in the end for a simple HD gun.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
One thing to consider about the PRO is that the mount it comes with is alright but can loosen up with use. IOW, it may make sense to factor in the cost of another mount. Other than that, there's not a darned thing wrong with putting a PRO on a home-defense AR.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have never had problems with the mount itself doing anything bad. But what I don't like is the large size of the mount knob hanging out there. But luckily there are a zillion better choices on QD mount and even after you fix the mount you will be far ahead on $ versus the rest of the aimpoint line.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I never had any problems from my aimpoint pro that was on my Ar-15. Quality optic for a reasonable price.

Posts: 887 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I wouldn’t hesitate or think twice about a PRO. I really got the impression when it was introduced that it was a way of offering a much more affordable optic, but with essentially the same characteristics of the more expensive similarly sized units. I know of at least two people who have used them for years with no problems. The mount seems similar to the ones on the numerous military surplus units that my agency has, and we have never had any problems with them either.

For most people the features of the PRO versus those on other red dot sights won’t matter at all, but the things I like about it and the similar CompML3 (I have two) are very long battery life that obviates the need for auto shut off or on, very easy illumination adjustment, and even the clunky mount that makes it easy to remove the sight from the rifle in a hurry if necessary.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47399 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Best deal going is a PRO preinstalled in a LEAP mount direct from ScalarWorks

Posts: 3084 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Unless you're definitely looking for minimum size/weight and can therefore justify the added expense for a Micro, the PRO is the best option. It's the best value in red dots for serious defensive use. I currently own four PROs, along with a couple H1 and H2 Micros.

The included mount is a little chunky and clunky, but it'll get the job done. You don't necessarily need to spend more on an aftermarket mount, although there are some really solid options out there if you have the budget for it.

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you don’t mind the size and weight, the PRO is hard to beat for the value. That said, I only use it on carbines. Too big and heavy for a SBR IMHO. Never had a problem with the mount.

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
Why on earth would anyone ever, ever, buy an eotech again after the debacle of zero shifting and coverup? But to the OP there is no reason the Pro won't be perfect. There are some advantages in other models for way more money but none of them matter in the end for a simple HD gun.

Me not buying isnt going to hurt their feelings or teach them a lesson. If they make good products NOW, that is what I care about.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
THe Pro is a great option, and I would say that LaRue Tactical has mount/optic packages that appear to be in stock that are great deals with a way better mount than the stock one from Aimpoint.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1952 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, looks like the Pro with a Larue mount or that Leap mount would easily fit the bill.

Posts: 1626 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 94hokie:
Thanks guys, looks like the Pro with a Larue mount or that Leap mount would easily fit the bill.

Larue's mounts are solid.

Get the cantilever mount if you ever plan on using a magnifier, or think you might want to use a magnifier:

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
One thing to consider about the PRO is that the mount it comes with is alright but can loosen up with use. IOW, it may make sense to factor in the cost of another mount. Other than that, there's not a darned thing wrong with putting a PRO on a home-defense AR.

I have NEVER heard of such an issue with the PRO. It's probably the most used and issued optic/mount combo on the market. When properly installed and torqued (3 clicks) I can't imagine what kind of abuse it would take to loosen the mount knob. If you ask me, it's an excellent design and an outstanding value.

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Belgian Blue:
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:

I have NEVER heard of such an issue with the PRO. It's probably the most used and issued optic/mount combo on the market. When properly installed and torqued (3 clicks) I can't imagine what kind of abuse it would take to loosen the mount knob. If you ask me, it's an excellent design and an outstanding value.

I don't know about the loosening issue, but the knob used to torque the mount is quite frankly annoying. I mean, to me its like they said, (in Swedish) look gents, make this knob stick out and be real awkward, and the make it MORE SO. That's why I went with the LaRue. If they truely are available at LaRue, they are selling for less than what Amazon is selling the stock optic, at least as of yesterday. No personal knowledge about the LEAP mount, but it doesn't appear to be in stock there.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1952 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FBHO
posted Hide Post
Unless you been using red dots lately make sure you look through it first. My astigmatism had gotten so bad over the years I had to return mine, dot looked like a star. Went with a Holosun 510C and it looked much better. Will be sighting in tomorrow.

Posts: 1046 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: September 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks again guys. As I have not checked a red dot in a while it sounds like I should look “through” a Pro and maybe a Trijicon MRO for validation first, might have to consider others based on my view of the dot.

That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
The pro mount is quality and works just fine. There is nothing wrong with it. Unfortunately, they do not use loctite on the screws when assembling it which is unconscionable for a “serious use” red dot. I took one to a carbine course and the red dot was flopping around in its mount within 200 rounds. Make sure to use blue loctite on the screws as soon as you get it.

EoTech- it’s what I trust and have mounted on my 11.5 colt. It works, it’s fast. It’s quality gear. I prefer it over the aim point for home defense carbines.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nothing except point and shoot (all you need in a home defense scenario) comes close to the speed of an EoTech. Get the E version for NV. Get low flash low smoke ammo, either way, for HD use.

Posts: 92 | Location: NM | Registered: May 30, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post