SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Richards Microfit Stocks
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Richards Microfit Stocks Login/Join 
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted
Richards Microfit Stocks

A hearty recommendation of these laminate stocks. I'm very impressed by the fit and feel.

If you buy direct, you are buying an unfinished stock, and it will require some sanding, and then finish.

They are not expensive, and you will see models of their stocks sold by a variety of companies, finished, for some bucks.

I've got one for my 10/22 build and I'm quite pleased.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
They make some attractive stocks. Since they are laminated, can you forego filling pores after sanding at your final grit and go right to applying your finish coat?

Posts: 7301 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Some people do still use a filler or slurry on laminate stocks, it depends on the look they're going for. If it is a "wood" toned stock, I might.

For this stock, no filling.

Which really means, filled with coats of finish.

Depending on the type of wood and desired look, filling the grain isn't always desired, and it's never really necessary.

Some people want a more even appearance, some want to see more natural fiber. What wood it is will also determine whether filling is possible, much less necessary or desired.

Whether you're going to stain something, and how porous it is, is also a factor. Try a dark stain on pine without a filler/sealer.

So, you sometimes want to even out a surface, or control stain absorption, and sometimes you don't. Repeated finish coats and wet sanding are going to get you that smooth finish, what it looks like under the finish is more preference than anything else.

Arc.

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree about it never being really necessary to fill the grain with solid wood stocks which aren't especially porous.

I haven't worked with any laminates though and judging from the looks of some of the patterns on their site, I think this might be one instance where a really smooth, polished finish might be quite eye-catching.

Do they require much inletting?

Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
I put one on an already sported 1903 years ago,
standard brown laminate,
thumbhole stock with varmint forearm,

I used linspeed on the stock,
about 5 coats carded down between each with some steel wool and I have a nice matte finish,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FiveFiveSixFan:
I haven't worked with any laminates though and judging from the looks of some of the patterns on their site, I think this might be one instance where a really smooth, polished finish might be quite eye-catching.

Do they require much inletting?

I'm indeed going for a smooth gloss. Many light coats are in order.

They require some cleaning up, but no real work inletting, in my sample of one.

I would say that I'll do two light coats on the interior, and no more, because it's fairly tight.

Arc.

posted Hide Post
I suspect one of their stocks may become a project for me in the near future.

Thanks for all the info, arc.

posted Hide Post
Sanding in filler probably would be a bad idea on a multicolored laminate stock since you would be mudding in a contrasting color. Fortunately laminated stocks don't require near as much filling because they are pressure filled with laminating resin. Makes 'em a PITA to checker though!

Over the years Richards Microfit has had some off and on Quality control issues but usually they seem to provide a good stock for the money. Some that I've seen had their pattern and inletting a good bit rough but usually fixable with a some work. From what little I've seen of ARC's it looks like they may have improved a bit. I've seen some serious bargains in their Walnut stocks..........dj

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
As far as sanding I got exactly what I was expecting, as far as inletting I was pleasantly surprised.

I think, if you're not familiar with woodworking, one of these stocks might be a bit of a challenge, but not a burden.

Arc.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
I think, if you're not familiar with woodworking, one of these stocks might be a bit of a challenge, but not a burden.

Excellent description. :-)

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
Nice resource. Thanks for posting it.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post