SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Pump action shotgun ammo question for bears
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pump action shotgun ammo question for bears Login/Join 
Picture of smlsig
posted
Hi guys-
Our gun club recently had a great buy on some 12 gauge pump action shotguns and I picked one up.

The reason I bought it was that I am planning on taking a few vacations up to Canada and will be in some pretty remote locations and I wanted to have some protection against aggressive wildlife.

The laws of bringing any weapon into Canada is pretty strict but pump action shotguns are allowed provided the proper paperwork is filed.

Anyway, what would you reccomend for ammo? I have heard of potentially using birdshot for the first shot then going with slugs but I really don't know anything about shotgun ammo.

Any shots would be within 30 yards and be to stop an aggressive animal.
Thanks.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6311 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Press hard,
Three copies
posted Hide Post
A rifled barrel and sabot slugs? With dangerous game why chance it.

A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Posts: 2200 | Location: VA | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
If the chamber will allow, 3" 00 buckshot, with slugs in between.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I sure wouldn't piss off a bear with a load of birdshot. I think rifled slugs would be my choice.

Posts: 26891 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
The barrel is smooth bore with no choke and can accept 3" shells.
Here is the gun:
https://www.budsgunshop.com/ca...+12GA+18.5+BLK+4%2B1

What brand of ammo would you suggest?
Thanks.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6311 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Brenneke black magic

Posts: 425 | Registered: January 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
The Brenneke slugs do have a very good reputation.

Posts: 26891 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
...and now here's Al
with the Weather.
Picture of guardianangel762
posted Hide Post
Slugs and only slugs.

Bird shot makes no sense. Lets say an aggressive bear is coming at you. Why hit that thing with anything other than the biggest thing you have, especially when it may be the only one you get? I would want slug to be the first thing that hits that animal for the very real possibility I don't get 2.

The 3" slug...that is something to see if you can actually handle. They have a violent recoil, more so than most guns a man can shoulder and fire for less than $4 a shot. You may be able to get the second shot off if you are using 2 3/4" shells instead.

Posts: 9018 | Location: Lake Stevens, WA | Registered: March 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
slugs, slugs and slugs. brand and style to match your barrel.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10990 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I don't intend offense, but are you going into grizzly/brown bear territory with a $150 plastic shotgun? Or is this Eastern Canada and black bears?

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10480 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for your comments.
I think I'll get a couple of boxes of the 2 3/4 and 3" Black Magic riffled slugs (if I can find them) and see how the guns like them. I'll leave the birdshot home.

------------------
Eddie

posted Hide Post
Slugs are the only logical ammo but I'd be concerned that even 4+1 1oz slugs wouldn't suffice. I'd suggest packing bear spray as well.

Posts: 282 | Registered: March 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Breneke makes good stuff, If not that, Id use a copper slug if I could find one.

I dot bother about the rifled barrels/slugs because if it goes down, its going to be really close range.

When fishing and camping, We either take my wingmaster or an older 870 marine magnum.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kilyung:
Slugs are the only logical ammo but I'd be concerned that even 4+1 1oz slugs wouldn't suffice. I'd suggest packing bear spray as well.

If a brown bear gets 4 slugs in him and keeps on coming (and now is really pissed) I'm not sure what some bear spray will do although my wife is in favor of carrying it so we'll have both.

------------------
Eddie

Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newmexican:.....

When fishing and camping, We either take my wingmaster or an older 870 marine magnum.

That's exactly what I hope to do..
I'm afraid that if we have a couple of salmon on the shore my wife would not be willing to give them up to a bear (j/k).

------------------
Eddie

The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
When entering the arena, NFL checks for shotguns too.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14032 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
quote:

If a brown bear gets 4 slugs in him and keeps on coming (and now is really pissed) I'm not sure what some bear spray will do although my wife is in favor of carrying it so we'll have both.

My concern would be how many slugs actually hit the bear - they move insanely fast. I'd use the spray first as a deterrent and then the shotgun as a last resort. While I've never shot at a bear, I have used bear spray and it did a credible job of convincing a curious black bear that I wasn't worth the time.

posted Hide Post
Duplicate post

posted Hide Post
Duplicate post

Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
quote:

My concern would be how many slugs actually hit the bear - they move insanely fast. I'd use the spray first as a deterrent and then the shotgun as a last resort. While I've never shot at a bear, I have used bear spray and it did a credible job of convincing a curious black bear that I wasn't worth the time.

That was the comment from another friend about using 00buckshot in addition to slugs...you're chance of hitting the bear is greater, albeit not as powerful

------------------
Eddie