SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Big Horn Armory 460
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Big Horn Armory 460 Login/Join 
posted
Guys talk me out of spending this much $$$$ on a play toy. I found one with upgraded walnut and the 18" barrel, I really want one but know I don't need it.

Posts: 636 | Registered: February 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It sounds like a well made rifle, but.....

I'm not into lever actions. I don't see their appeal.

Even though it's a big pistol chambering, it's still a pistol chambering in a rifle. And yes, I have shot the 460 in a S&W revolver. I can say I've done it. One session was enough.

It appears the cost could be in the $3k to $4k ballpark. For that amount of coin, one can have a full-on custom bolt action rifle made by a talented 'smith. The rifle would include a top-quality action (Bighorn, Surgeon, Defiance), a tremendous barrel, a top rate stock, a great trigger, a detachable magazine. Furthermore, the custom bolt action could place 5 shots in a dime at 100 yards, and depending on the caliber chosen be accurate out to at least 1,000 yards -- even 1,500 yards.

Then think about how much you'll use a fancy lever action rifle. Most likely a big investment that just sits in the safe. Probably a limited market if you want to resell it.

Posts: 7852 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Ooooo. Well, I'm not the one to talk you out of this one.

The 460 has some spectacular ballistic properties and would be the lever action rifle I'd want. I'd have to trade around a bit before I could get this one myself, but I'd like to get one someday...

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
Oooooh is right!!!!!! I’m following THIS! LOVE the .460!

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
I handled one at the Safari Club banquet last year..been on my "thinking real hard about getting one" list ever since...just cuz...

Posts: 819 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well I had too buy one. Now I'm looking at loading info.
With the 18" barrel I should be able too get around 200fps more velocity.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TJ 4X4:
With the 18" barrel I should be able too get around 200fps more velocity.

To obtain this additional 200 fps MV, to what length of revolver barrel are you comparing?

Posts: 7852 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The barrel on the carbine is 18' and the pistol barrel it is being compared too is 8 3/8, the 200 fps gain was from my conversation with a rep from Big Horn Armory.

My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
2400fps would get the job done. When I traded to a BFR the guy let me shoot it first. Said it drops 10 inches at 250 yards with the ten inch barrel. After a few rounds I was able to shoot 5 rounds one handed. Doesn't make for a good carry piece tho.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
What a great looking and appealing lever action choice! That’s kind of price? Nope ..... Frown

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post