SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Another barrel option for the M14: Faxon
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another barrel option for the M14: Faxon Login/Join 
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted
I'm installing a Faxon heavy barrel onto a SAI loaded that has a shot out barrel. It hand timed at 27˚ in a 100k series SAI receiver. This is a nitrided barrel and headspace was about 0.010" short. I cut 0.003" off the shoulder and it timed perfectly at 15˚.

I used a carbide chamber reamer to cut it to 1.632" headspace.

It has a similar contour to the old SAI M21 heavy barrels. I also noticed the operating rod guide boss is set forward. It did not come with an operating rod guide, so I'm waiting on one to get here this week.

It steps down slightly just forward of the chamber...

Gas cylinder area compared to Lothar-Walther heavy barrel.

Mid-barrel contour...

Overall, it seems to be a decent barrel. Rifling looked similar to a Douglas. Not as smooth as the Kreiger or Lothar-Walther, but still good.

I'll post results after the first range trip.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
I’ve had really good results with Faxon barrels. They seem to know what they are about.

As far as AR barrels, the gunner profile hits a real sweet spot.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
Love it. Market has really come back around for the M14. So many options 10 years ago I'd have never expected.

Curious to see how it shoots. Faxon has a good name. Seems like more modern we get the barrels don't need to be as heavy without sacrificing performance.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6957 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Faxon makes pretty much all of Springfield Armorys barrels. Known is they also have their own line of AR barrels. They supply others as well, including Uncle Sam. Benny6, is it a 5R?

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smithnsig:
I’ve had really good results with Faxon barrels. They seem to know what they are about.

As far as AR barrels, the gunner profile hits a real sweet spot.

I second this, I have a .223 Wylde barrel and it’s awesome

Posts: 3369 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post