SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    To send off my 870 or buy a Mossberg? New Info***1950 Date Code***
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

To send off my 870 or buy a Mossberg? New Info***1950 Date Code*** Login/Join 
Picture of Quattro15
posted
So....I've got a couple shotguns, but no tactically minded ones.

I was reading the last issue of Ballistic Magazine and they reviewed a ton of nice guns in there. There was a section for the pump shotgun as well. They stated that they clearly liked the Mossberg ATI shotgun, which looks quite nice.

So that leads me to my dilemma. Do you go buy a new shotty, whatever flavor it is. I would most likely get a Mossberg though.

OR do I send an old 870 Wingmaster off to Wilson Combat for some love? I would probably spend more to do this but it would be more polished I think.

What do you guys think? Preferred barrel length and stocks for a home defense shotgun? Any other recommendations?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Quattro15,

---------------------------
“Reason, or the ratio of all we have already known, is not the same that it shall be when we know more.”
— William Blake

Posts: 2206 | Location: Black Mountain, NC | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Depends on how fancy and flashy you want to go. If that wingmaster is reliable, replacing a few parts and dropping on an 18” barrel can be done on your kitchen table. Same with replacing stocks. I like a shorter length of pull youth stock myself ( almost all shotguns come with stocks too long from the factory)
I like the 870, and mine is a simple home defense express made about 20 years ago. Only mod for me was putting on a short stock, trimming the handguard to clear a side saddle.
Another option is to send it to Vang comp.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quattro15
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by captain127:
Depends on how fancy and flashy you want to go. If that wingmaster is reliable, replacing a few parts and dropping on an 18” barrel can be done on your kitchen table. Same with replacing stocks. I like a shorter length of pull youth stock myself ( almost all shotguns come with stocks too long from the factory)
I like the 870, and mine is a simple home defense express made about 20 years ago. Only mod for me was putting on a short stock, trimming the handguard to clear a side saddle.
Another option is to send it to Vang comp.

I didn't think of building my own....this may be the option for me. I haven't shot the Wingmaster much, but if I keep the barrel it has and buy another one the shotgun will remain versatile. I could have the longer barrel if I decide to hunt or something with it in the future.

“Reason, or the ratio of all we have already known, is not the same that it shall be when we know more.”
— William Blake

Posts: 2206 | Location: Black Mountain, NC | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd say keep the wingmaster pretty and buy a Mossberg set up for HD.

Posts: 3043 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Here's my 1974 era 870 Wingmaster that I converted to a tactical shotgun. Here's what I changed:

-870 Police 18.5" barrel ($180)
-Flex-tab bolt and shell carrier upgrade ($150)
-Remington +2 mag extension ($45)
-Magpul CTR sock and forearm (~$85)
-SAGE 870 AR-style stock adapter with pistol grip ($120)
-Hydraulic recoil buffer (Kynshot) tube from No-kick.com ($140)
-Wolff extra power magazine spring ($12)

If yours is new enough, it already has the flex-tab upgrade, which can be identified by the shell carrier. If the shell carrier is solid, it does not have the flex tab upgrade. If it squared off U-shaped cutout on the shell carrier, it has the upgrade.

With the recoil reducing buffer tube, I was able to shoot full power 3" magnum 00 buck and 3" magnum sabot slugs without any discomfort. It was like shooting target loads for sporting clays.

If you want a more traditional style stock, you can use the Magpul shotgun stocks. The buttpad has removable spacers and you can customize the LOP to your liking.

Mossbergs are great, but I like the feel of 870's better and the safety is better positioned if you use a pistol-grip. With the Mossberg, you'd have to completely let go of the grip to access the safety, which is on the top-rear of the receiver. The 870's cross-bar safety in front of the trigger is ideal for pistol gripped shotguns, where the top-of-the-receiver safety on Mossbergs is ideal for left and right handed shooters with traditional stocks.

I used only 870 POLICE parts for my conversion and did not use any EXPRESS parts, which are cheaper and of lesser quality.

You can compare the prices I quoted versus sending it off to Wilson or Vang Comp and see what works better. In the end I spent $730 upgrading my own 870 Wingmaster. Of the original shotgun, only the receiver and trigger mech remain.

Tony

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5394 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hate the controls on the 870 so im biased towards the mossbergs.

Posts: 5414 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I’m cheap. If I already had a 870, I’d just buy a new riot barrel and be done with it. Keep the old barrel and you can still hunt. Then you also won’t have to worry about a new safety being in a weird place-same manual of arms.

When we moved to Texas, my buddy wanted my 870 to keep me from having to move it, so I sold it. When we got here and I wanted a new one I was shocked with how much an 870 goes for nowadays. I was familiar with the mossberg and wasn’t worried about the safety being somewhere else.

When I was out shopping for one (mossberg or an 870) I found a new mossberg maverick for half the price of a used gun (either brand) the maverick has a Remington style safety and a fixed foregrip and action arms-but I don’t care and it works regardless if it has a plastic trigger assembly or not. So I bought that.

Since then I added a big dot glow in the dark bead and a shorter stock (juvenile) so my wife can shoulder it also. Still cheaper than a new mossberg 500/590 or an 870

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11268 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For a minimum build:
18 inch barrel.
Flex tab.
Police mag spring and improved follower.
Oversize front bead.
Anything else is.... Bonus.
If you are going swap out the stock and fore end, look on Brownells for the right tools. The fore end can be a bitch to get off.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16063 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
I’m cheap. If I already had a 870, I’d just buy a new riot barrel and be done with it. Keep the old barrel and you can still hunt. Then you also won’t have to worry about a new safety being in a weird place-same manual of arms.

That's exactly what I did. It's all I need.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's a Home Defense Shotgun, you do not need any Wilson Combat trinkets for that purpose. All you need is 5 rounds of #1 buck. Just throw an 18.5 inch barrel on your 870 and it's good to go.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5642 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of T.Webb
posted Hide Post
I had 2 Remy's but got rid of them. Today, my HD Shotgun is a Benelli M2. I really like the idea of a reliable autoloader. I added an oversize Taran Tactical safety button.

I also have, and would like to convert to HD use is a CZ 712 ALS. ALS stands for "Adjustable Length Stock. Currently the 712 has a 28" barrel for Clays games or birds, but I'm looking without much luck, for a 18-20" barrel for defense use. And the adjustable stock makes the gun good for my wife to shoot (in either configuration). I;m not crazy about cutting down the long barrel as of right now.

"Tonight, we are a country awakened to danger and called to defend freedom. Our grief has turned to anger and anger to resolution. Whether we bring our enemies to justice or bring justice to our enemies, justice will be done". {George W. Bush, Post 9/11}

Posts: 842 | Location: Long Island, N.Y. / Stephentown, N.Y. | Registered: March 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Put a short barrel on it.

I have an wood stocked 18" Remington Express Magnum with just buckshot, turkey and slugs loaded in it with a bandolier sling.

There ain't nothing I can't hit within 50 yards.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34105 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quattro15
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
Put a short barrel on it.

I have an wood stocked 18" Remington Express Magnum with just buckshot, turkey and slugs loaded in it with a bandolier sling.

There ain't nothing I can't hit within 50 yards.

I hear ya. KISS has always been a motto of mine. It's easy to get wrapped up in the gear. Same reason I don't run an optic on my pistol.

— William Blake

fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
This was my 870 HD shottie. I have since ditched the Knoxx recoil absorbing stock for the Magpul with the big rubber recoil pad. The Knoxx does an amazing job of soaking up recoil, but for me the gun handles better with the Magpul stock.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quattro15
posted Hide Post
For further information...This 870 Wingmaster has an EWW date code on the barrel.

This seems to tell me that it was made in October of 1950, which is crazy.

They started making them in January of that year....so now I dunno if I should be taking it apart. It's pretty mint.

— William Blake

Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I like the Mossberg safety, the Magpul stock and an 18 1/2-20" barrel. Finding a Mossberg is near impossible these days though.

Posts: 3445 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you have a minty first year wingmaster put in in your safe protected by a good padded sleeve. Because it's just too valuable. Then go out and get yourself a Mossberg.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5642 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quattro15
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:
If you have a minty first year wingmaster put in in your safe protected by a good padded sleeve. Because it's just too valuable. Then go out and get yourself a Mossberg.

At this point I'm most likely going to find another used 870 to tinker with.

— William Blake

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Quattro15:
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:

At this point I'm most likely going to find another used 870 to tinker with.

There are millions of 870s on the market. Who knows how many of them are Wingmasters -- tens of thousands? Even hundreds of thousands? Maybe you can find a collector who really wants a first year model. Maybe if you're patient you'll find a collector that might pay a few hundred extra for that first year's model.

A Wingmaster isn't a Gamba or Beretta SO with immaculate etching, gold inlays, and stunning wood. Selling a Wingmaster isn't going to boost your retirement fund. It's just another Remington pump action shotgun. If it has sentimental value that can be passed on to your heirs, then that might be a consideration.

I say do whatever you want to it. Change its configuration, it that's what you want. Then shoot it -- a lot. For me, an unused gun in the safe has limited value or utility.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
An older 870? Keep it. I don’t use the safety on my 870 so it doesn’t factor in for me. Either the chamber is empty or I’m about shoot something.

I do like the mossbergs a lot but one thing to consider is that if you drop one just right it can pop the shell guide out of place. Those two pins on either side of the receiver can pop out.
It’s not a deal breaker for me and you can usually pop em back in by racking the pump. I used both guns in the military and like both but it’s something to think about. If anything buy both, my dad has a 590 A1 and it’s slick. Having a bayonet mount on a shotgun is just badass too

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post