SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    How to clean new SBR
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to clean new SBR Login/Join 
posted
So my Colt SBR finally got out of jail (a million apologies for no pics). The barrel seems to have cosmoline on it, as well as surrounding areas, so was wondering the preferred initial cleaning method. Non-chrlorinated brake cleaner? Gun scrubber? Other? The wife already nixed the idea of a hot bath with dawn in the tub, so that's out. Thanks.

Posts: 1621 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CandyMan.45
posted Hide Post
If it truly has cosmoline on it... best method is take it outside and boil yourself up some water and pour over any covered areas.

Posts: 1242 | Location: The Edge of Nowhere... | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
brake cleaner

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Guessing its cosmolene, it's a light greasy feel to the barrel exterior and some has gotten onto the handguards. I figured a good soaking with a cleaner followed up by proper lubrication was in its best interest.

Posts: 1621 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
When we got in three Vietnam-era M16s they were packed in cosmoline. I just sprayed them all down with non chlorinated brake cleaner then lubed normally.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
I have used mineral spirits on AK mags that were caked in cosomline and it worked wonders.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3636 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Back in the day, people used to bake out cosmoline with a homemade "oven" made from a steel trash can, a 100 watt incandescent light bulb, and some insulation.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Updated to add that non-chlorinated brake cleaner, with the little plastic straw attached, made short work of the packing grease. Thanks for the inputs!

posted Hide Post
The cosmoline-like preservative that is used in some new gun barrels is much lighter than the cosmo on surplus military rifles. It should come off with regular cleaning products. On the other hand, I have a yugo rifle that was thickly coated with what seemed like axle grease.

Posts: 838 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post