SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Any 556 Owners Still Around
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any 556 Owners Still Around Login/Join 
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
Still have my first Gen 556.

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
I still have my WCA Sig 551 which is the Lexus edition of the Sig 556.

Put a Swiss gas block (gray) on it, 551 clone flash. Have a Swiss top rail that I want to have welded on to it for the proper popsicle site but just have never done it.

HK Ag

Posts: 3495 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HK Ag:

Put a Swiss gas block (gray) on it, 551 clone flash. Have a Swiss top rail that I want to have welded on to it for the proper popsicle site but just have never done it.

HK Ag

My question is, is the WCA as smooth as a Swiss 55X rifle?

When I finally got my Swiss 552, it's my first Swiss 55X. The first time I pulled the charge handle I noticed the 552 action is much much smoother than either of my 556's ... the 552 felt like the carrier is on rollers and no gritty spring feel compared to the 556. My P556 is much better than the carbines but still not as smooth as the 552. I now own a 550, 551 & 553 ... all are much smoother than any of my 556's.

Looking back to my first 556, the only other rifles I had owned to compare was the AR-15 types, HK-93 and Valmet 62(while an AK design, its smoother than most 223/5.56 AK's).
Another that has spoiled me is the CZ 805 Bren, its also very smooth.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
quote:
y question is, is the WCA as smooth as a Swiss 55X rifle?

Of course because it's just a bog standard 556 upper marked "551" with Swiss furniture and Swiss lower. It's a basically an overpriced 556. I sold both of mine and got proper Swiss rifles.

Posts: 3065 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Heck yes !!
Love my Classic and she runs great.

Posts: 363 | Registered: January 07, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
Yes, I have an early 556, runs like a champ.
Never any issues.

Posts: 1540 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
Having had one of the first bunch of 556 rifles, and now having a proper SAN SIG 751 SAPR I can honestly say that there really is no comparison. Even though the internals of my early 556 were all Swiss made, the way that those parts interacted was not comparable to an entirely Swiss gun. My 556 functioned flawlessly but the action, while smoother than an AR, still wasn’t like ball bearings the way that my Swiss gun is.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5562 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Well gee Lt.g, glad you like your's like the rest of us like ours Razz Roll Eyes

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimberkid:
quote:
Originally posted by HK Ag:

HK Ag

My question is, is the WCA as smooth as a Swiss 55X rifle?

When I finally got my Swiss 552, it's my first Swiss 55X. The first time I pulled the charge handle I noticed the 552 action is much much smoother than either of my 556's ... the 552 felt like the carrier is on rollers and no gritty spring feel compared to the 556. My P556 is much better than the carbines but still not as smooth as the 552. I now own a 550, 551 & 553 ... all are much smoother than any of my 556's.

Looking back to my first 556, the only other rifles I had owned to compare was the AR-15 types, HK-93 and Valmet 62(while an AK design, its smoother than most 223/5.56 AK's).
Another that has spoiled me is the CZ 805 Bren, its also very smooth.

Kimberkid my WCA 551 has been a safe queen all its life. I have not pulled the bolt back in some time but my recollection is that it was nice but not as nice as my Swiss 552 (we have similar stories).

On my list is a 553 and a 550.

The Swiss models are almost impossible to beat. I fired a 550 on a Geneva work trip, we fired them at 300m on their local range. Boy what a treat. Also shot the STgw 57, that was a hoot.

Ball bearing like smoothness for miles.

HK Ag

Posts: 3495 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for being
genuinely stupid
posted Hide Post
I have a Ruger 556 black rifle.

Posts: 340 | Location: Derby City KY. | Registered: April 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 556 Commando with a Scully stock and a IOR/Valdada 1.1-4x26 scope. Also a 550 front sight, an H&K rear(on a custom base) and match trigger. I like this rifle a lot.

Posts: 141 | Registered: June 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
a 556R resides in the safe currently.

Great shooter

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6218 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snwghst:
a 556R resides in the safe currently.

Great shooter

Agreed!
Mine is a P556 Xi 7,62 and that little bit of added recoil of the is satisfying Smile In my safe, its accuracy is better than any other semiauto 7.62x39 I've got, including a milled Bulgarian/Arsenal AK.

As long as I'm not using a steel mag its been completely reliable ... my only regret is the same as my other firearms, not having the time to shoot more often.

Picture of ksss
posted Hide Post
Comes to work with me everyday. Acog on top and eo at .45 degrees. Heavy, marginal trigger, goes bang every single time.

Posts: 390 | Location: idaho | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Kimberkid--how does it run suppressed? I assume a Yankee Hill Phantom.

Posts: 2295 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGfourme:
Kimberkid--how does it run suppressed? I assume a Yankee Hill Phantom.

You assume correctly, YHM Phantom Ti3. It runs a bit harsh, wish I had a valve with a suppressed setting.

Protect Your Nuts
posted Hide Post
Still have my first gen, early 3,000s serial. While I don’t get to the range much anymore it’s still one of my favorite rifles.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"deserves" ain't got nothin to do with it.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posts: 2695 | Location: VA, mostly | Registered: June 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Do these count? Wink. The bottom one is NIB.

Posts: 12434 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:
Do these count? Wink. The bottom one is NIB.

That photo is one of my favorite SIG photos. I would love to own a crate of Swiss 55x like that, preferably a mix and match of all models and variations in gray and in black.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2314 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
^^^^
From your lips to my ears. Sans, of course, any 556 models from the mix.

Posts: 12434 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post