SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Any 556 Owners Still Around
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any 556 Owners Still Around Login/Join 
Picture of Accomplice
posted Hide Post
I tried the hydro dipped, wood look rail covers on my 556 swat patrol...

Roswell Crash - July, 1947, CIA Formed - Sept, 1947

Posts: 1948 | Registered: September 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
I've got a 556 Commando, which I really like.

The only thing I can complain about is that after a couple of magazines, the handguards start to smoke and the firing line starts to smell like burning plastic.

This is my only 'evil black rifle' so maybe that's just what they all do. Hasn't been a problem - we just switch to something else till the smoking stops. Other than that, it's been completely reliable, very accurate and loads of fun to shoot.

Posts: 14995 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
I'm not really into wood, but that looks awesome!

quote:
Originally posted by smithnsig:
I really prefer the way it shoulders compared to the straight stock ARs. I'm just afraid to pick one up because they are gone. Parts may get hard to come by. I have an M400 because it's an AR, but I'm not in love with the platform.

Your worried about parts? I don't remember EVER hearing of anyone needing parts for a SiG 55x, although it seems I've seen a post or two from Josh about some frailness in the 552 bolt or gas system which is completely different from the 551's, 553's and 556's (I don't have a 550 so I can't speak for it)

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5699 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wish SIG was still advancing / producing the platform.

A viable alternative to the AR.

A shame really but I realize making ARs is a lot cheaper and a MUCH bigger market.

------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcat
posted Hide Post
I really liked mine while I had it. Mine was a classic SWAT. However, with limited budget comes compromises, and I sold it to fund a higher end AR build for lighter weight and greater parts availability and customization potential.

And yes, you really do need to be the last guy to the right on the firing line or else you'll be hitting your buddy's target with your brass.

Posts: 9958 | Location: RI | Registered: October 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
I wish SIG was still advancing / producing the platform.

A viable alternative to the AR.

A shame really but I realize making ARs is a lot cheaper and a MUCH bigger market.

------------------------------

Yeah, while I am sure SIG sees the MCX as a replacement, I wish it offered a more classic appearance.

Posts: 122 | Location: California | Registered: July 09, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hey! I like stuff
posted Hide Post
My 556 Patrol is about to be SBRed, wish I could find a proper four position gas selector for it. I stupidly bought a 553 selector that does not fit, does the forum collective know of anyone who modifies the 556 selectors to run suppressed or anyone who modifies the 553 version to fit in a 556?

Posts: 2756 | Location: Sterling, VA | Registered: July 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigP239Hokie:
My 556 Patrol is about to be SBRed, wish I could find a proper four position gas selector for it. I stupidly bought a 553 selector that does not fit, does the forum collective know of anyone who modifies the 556 selectors to run suppressed or anyone who modifies the 553 version to fit in a 556?

I found the old post on the 556 forum and the guy there is still doing them. I ordered and extra gas selector from optics planet just in case. I need to seed it off to him to to have it drilled out. Mine is a first gen that I have put a set of Swiss handguards on and an A2 stock....I know but I like it that way.

Posts: 147 | Registered: January 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
I still have my 556. It's proven itself to be a pretty good rifle for me.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: gw3971,

Posts: 7720 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
A few years ago, I stupidly passed on a 556 Classic my brother had. I shot it and loved it, it shot nice groups. Wish I had taken that one home.

Posts: 17035 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep.

1st gen 556, 556R, and a 556P SBR here. I'm pretty happy with them, although my Swiss SANs get more range time....

Posts: 1283 | Location: TX | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I must have a dozen of the buggers. Maybe over the long haul I can keep some of them running. The 556 support is the worst of sig.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10957 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gw3971:
I still have my 556. It's proven itself to be a pretty good rifle for me.

Looks like a 551a1 to me.

Posts: 286 | Location: midwest | Registered: May 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I still have a few 556. The one I shoot is my 556/552 SBR that I had converted by Frank at AMA to true 552 spec using a new 552 parts kit. He converted the original barrel to 552 spec. This was done before the 556P and 556 patrol were available. I have another 16" early JS prefix 556 that has a Swiss optic rail welded in place. And a 556P that is a SBR with a Swiss rear diopter welded in place. I had around 3 others over the years and sold them to help fund other items.

quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
I must have a dozen of the buggers. Maybe over the long haul I can keep some of them running. The 556 support is the worst of sig.

The good news is that nothing really tends to break on the 55x. You could set aside 2-3 in your stable of a dozen to be used as spare parts donors and be well covered for the future. Really you will likely never need spare parts.

The only items I think are a necessity are:
- Recoil spring (prob the highest wear item likely to need replacing if you shoot a lot)
- Gas valve (only because it could be easily lost)
- Cocking handle (only because it could be easily lost)
- FCG springs (a possible wear item, though I've never heard of any wearing out)
- Bolt, bolt sub components (extractor, extractor pin, extractor spring) (unlikely to need, but better to have some for the future)

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2313 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I still have my 556 classic swat factory SBR. Great gun and never had any problems or malfunctions. I had an original 556 swat and a classic swat but sold them to fund other projects. One of a handful of gun regrets.

Posts: 58 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i still have a few, and some parts kits stashed away when they were sold. really been fortunate with mine. 0 issues with them. all solid shooters.

Posts: 774 | Location: FL | Registered: November 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an old one with green (OD) plastic furniture and that crappy telescoping side folding stock. By the time those better folding stocks were available, Id sort of lost interest.

I did end up putting the diopter sight on it at one point which was a welcome upgrade over that little flip up back up sight that it came with.

It is a fairly accurate gun, never had any reliability issues or anything but its sat in the back of the safe with my ARs for several years now.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hey! I like stuff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p230:
quote:
Originally posted by SigP239Hokie:

I found the old post on the 556 forum and the guy there is still doing them. I ordered and extra gas selector from optics planet just in case. I need to seed it off to him to to have it drilled out. Mine is a first gen that I have put a set of Swiss handguards on and an A2 stock....I know but I like it that way.

Tried to find it but got buried, any chance you could post the link or contact info? Thanks!

Posts: 2756 | Location: Sterling, VA | Registered: July 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Owner of a 556xi Classic pistol (10" barrel) checking in. Took a long time for Sig to send me the parts needed to install an Odin Works buffer tube and Sig Brace. It is really fun to shoot, reliable and seems very durable.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16583 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
still have mine

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53053 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post