SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Any 556 Owners Still Around
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any 556 Owners Still Around Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I have both a 556 and 522 and both have been 100%.

It's kids like you, who make this bus late.

Posts: 884 | Location: Weirton,WV | Registered: April 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
I'm still around, however I sold my 522 carbine and Gen1 556R that I hadn't shot because I SBR'd the pistol models.

I've still got a Swiss 16" 551, 552-SBR & P553-SBR. And US models P522-SBR, Gen1 556, Gen2 556, Gen1 P556-SBR and 556Xi-762-SBR

With the exception of my Gen1 556 and Gen1 P556-she none of these have much more than a few thousand rounds through them ... mostly just a lack of time!

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5699 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I still have mine. I love it with an Aimpoint. I Will probably always have it. Big Grin

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29578 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I sort of still have one. About 10 years ago I took my early JS 4 digit numbered 556, bought a de mil 551 kit and put the lower (lower with 556 internals) on the 556 upper. Removed the rail on 556 upper, welded holes shut and welded on the Swiss diopter rear. Simply love the rifle.

Posts: 263 | Location: Weatherford, TX | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cndrdk:
I sort of still have one. About 10 years ago I took my early JS 4 digit numbered 556, bought a de mil 551 kit and put the lower (lower with 556 internals) on the 556 upper. Removed the rail on 556 upper, welded holes shut and welded on the Swiss diopter rear. Simply love the rifle.

pics?

Posts: 3060 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I forgot to mention I still have my 522 with two barrels to go with my two NIB 556s. I have shot the 522. It’s heavy but a great gun.

Posts: 12427 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of blfuller
posted Hide Post
quote:

I would like to see that baby too.

Posts: 229 | Location: Eastern Washington State (dry side) | Registered: May 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a early 556 classic where I changed to a set of 551 hand guards and a CTR stock with a cheek riser. It has a ML3 Aimpoint in a LaRue mount and it is one the better black rifles I have shot in a lifetime.

Posts: 971 | Registered: January 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by blfuller:
quote:

I would like to see that baby too.

I would, but I am old and really don't know to post photos. I did send a couple photos to PGT via email, but must have went to his spam folder. The rifle did come out nice although the color didn't match. Used Dura Coat gray on the upper and it was a bit off from the lower. Reason for the build, my department was pushing going to AR 15's and I was still grandfathered with my Valet 76 tube folder. Showed them the 551/556 that it came apart as upper/lower and was sort of like an AR (haha). Qualified with it and then decided (as I was near retirement) just to give in, qualify and use the department supplied AR 15.

Posts: 263 | Location: Weatherford, TX | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Janq
posted Hide Post
I still have my Gen 1 556 'SCM', purchased January '09.

My gun remains accurate, Singer sewing machine reliable, and utterly reliable.

In fact I just now came back to the forum after having been absent for years, to see how many end user threads might be ongoing here.
As compared to AR pattern and ACR users who have been remarking about quality failures, lack of durability (as low as 1k rounds fired), and a constant need for tuning, replacement of basic function parts, as well never ending maintenance.

After 2 yrs of product review, I'd choose in Fall '08 to standardize on the 556 rather than an AR. For the above reasons then widely reported. Which continues today.
Now existent Facebook is filled with AR specific groups specific to these issues.
Meanwhile with having an international footprint FB has just one forum I've found toward the Sig Sauer 55X platform. And it is lightly active, focused on the 550/1/2 variants.

I made the right choice!

My only regret knowing what I do now, was to not bite the bullet and buy a pair of 556R as well 552, and a second 556. In pairs to keep as a training gun and the second toward hard use and/or parts scavenge.

My gun remains minute of man combat accurate.
Prefers heavy for caliber projectiles. I've been running the not like an AR and IMHO better, rear diopter and the fixed hooded 'popsicle' type front. I strongly prefer the fixed as well hooded front. YMMV.
While the diopter rear is to my mind intuitive to use, albeit chunky and relatively heavy. It's solid though. Mechanically durable.

It has the standard polymer type foreend covers. Which in the day folk here referred to as being "fishgill" and ugly. I personally prefer it. I've two sets and have found them to be functional while also light weight.
No issues with magazine feeding of any sort so far. And my specific gun eats ammo like a Pez dispenser. Honestly. Not one FTF, FTE, nor primer strike issues. It just goes bang.

For lube I've been using white lithium grease on reciprocating parts and rails. With a light application of Gunzilla oil CLP on small parts, and toward the barrel.
Per the Swiss factory armorers manual I do _not_ lubricate the piston nor the valve.

My gun has seen hard real use. IMHO my unit is proven good to go.
I can't of course speak for the entire 556 product line. As others experiences may be entirely different.

YMMV

- Janq

"Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy
Monday, March 12, 2007 -- Op Ed -- The Washington Post

Posts: 499 | Registered: September 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
I have a classic and SWAT, as well as a 522 with a bull barrel.
I have considered the trigger up grade by Shooting Sight- anyone done that?

Posts: 2292 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
Since my last post in this thread about 15 months ago, I've still got the US models P522-SBR, Gen1 556, Gen2 556, Gen1 P556-SBR and 556Xi-762-SBR; a Swiss 16" 551, 552-SBR & P553-SBR and the most recent addition is a Swiss 550 ...

The one that gets the most love, and upgraded several times is the SBR'd Gen1 P556 ... its a little piggy but my favorite.

posted Hide Post
Not in any way a negative, but just curiosity kimberkid. Why on earth would you have a bipod and an acog on an SBR. Just curious no more no less...

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10958 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
My favorite rifles are 12” SBR’s with trijicon 1-8’s on them. I’m waiting for my Vortex Razor 1-10 to put on one. So a 4x seems more than reasonable.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
Not in any way a negative, but just curiosity kimberkid. Why on earth would you have a bipod and an acog on an SBR. Just curious no more no less...

A valid question, no harm, no foul

The bipod isn't usually on it, but was on it when I took the pic, and it comes in handy shooting prone ... just because its an SBR doesn't mean you can't shoot it out to 300yards.

I'd originally bought the ACOG for an AR but didn't like it so it sat on the shelf for a couple years and this is the only rifle I've liked it on, plus my eyes have kept getting worse in the 20+ years since I turned 40, so an optic is necessary.

posted Hide Post
Same question different person. I have a number of shorter barreled 5.56 and the idea of 10x seems counterintuitive. Rationale.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10958 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I have a pistol that I sbr'd. One of my favorite guns. It feels so good in the hand.

I have a 556 pistol lower. Please help me find a pistol upper for it. Wink

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19079 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 556 Classic that I bought new years ago. It chews through ammo and I dont think it has ever had FTF! My go to gun, I just wish I could find a Partskit for it, just missed one on another forum recently.

Posts: 446 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
What’s the going rate on the Parts Kits? I recall it being a lot

Posts: 3060 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of blfuller
posted Hide Post
Still got my 556 classic and 522.

Posts: 229 | Location: Eastern Washington State (dry side) | Registered: May 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post