SIGforum
Any 556 Owners Still Around

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/630601935/m/7380078324

May 23, 2017, 07:21 AM
DJ_Boston
Any 556 Owners Still Around
Still have mine to- have had only a handful of opportunities to fire it. if it has 140 rds through it I would be shocked

There is something good and motherly about Washington, the grand old benevolent National Asylum for the helpless.
- Mark Twain The Gilded Age

#CNNblackmail #CNNmemewar
May 23, 2017, 08:21 AM
DSgrouse
I still have my 556r
May 23, 2017, 09:20 AM
mark_a
Still have my swat and 5.56 pistol. The pistol goes on every road trip with me which means it is on the road every week.

I ran 3 classes with the swat before I handled Jones's AR with a T-1 on it. My 50th birthday was coming up so I soon had a AR with a T-1 on it.

Then I learned about building them and down the rabbit hole I went.

The swat will always have a place in my safe. Built like a tank and runs like a fine swiss watch. The only issues I ever had with it was the sig mags which were the only thing available in 2009 when I bought at the worst possible time. It now wears a 1-4 scope and I have a load developed for it with 75gr pills that it loves. Great for popping pigs...

Mark
May 23, 2017, 10:58 AM
Dwill104
Had a number of them over the years, starting with the first 556 release with the AR stock and fishgill handguard, but pared it down to only three:

551A1, the Swiss 551 clone I wanted in the first place.

556xi in 7.62x39, because it's in 7.62x39 and I have enough other guns in 5.56.

522, because it's a nice non-AR tactical 22.
May 26, 2017, 11:26 AM
blfuller
Still have my 556 classic and 522 classic. Only thing I have done to mine is replaced the grip with the Hogue.
May 26, 2017, 12:26 PM
lpda22
I've got a 556 Classic SWAT and a 522. I shoot the 522 all the time, but rarely the 556. Any idea what a 556 Classic SWAT in excellent condition would bring nowadays? I'm looking to build a .308 ...
May 26, 2017, 11:10 PM
the Hudge
Update. I no longer have two 556's. In the time it took this thread to get to
page 3, I sent my gen 1 swat patrol in for warranty work. They could not fix the gas block being out of alignment and said the rifle was defective.
I'm now the owner of a m400 elite with a Romeo 5. Nice rifle but not a 556.

Sig CS is fantastic and although the outcome was not exactly what I had hoped for, it was a joy to deal with a company that did everything they could to please a customer.
June 04, 2017, 08:25 PM
SF1911
quote:
Originally posted by the Hudge:
Update. I no longer have two 556's. In the time it took this thread to get to
page 3, I sent my gen 1 swat patrol in for warranty work. They could not fix the gas block being out of alignment and said the rifle was defective.
I'm now the owner of a m400 elite with a Romeo 5. Nice rifle but not a 556.

Sig CS is fantastic and although the outcome was not exactly what I had hoped for, it was a joy to deal with a company that did everything they could to please a customer.

Jeez, your luck with them on the 556 has been better than mine. I bought mine when they first came out about 10 years ago. They did not come with sights back then so I used an EOtech. Several years later I bought some aurora sights and had to move my rear sight all the way to the right and the front sight to the left. I sent it back to SIG twice, the first time being told that if I can adjust the sights to be on target, then it is fine. The second time they told me they fired the rifle with a leupold scope (not the iron sights) on it and found no problems.
I really wanted to shoot this rifle with the SIG 550 type sights on it. Everything else on this rifle has been perfect but it sucks trying to get a sight picture when the sights are have to be adjusted so far of center.

On the bright side... customer service did send me a new 716 to replace my old 716 that I had to send back.
June 05, 2017, 01:04 PM
Il Cattivo
quote:
I sent it back to SIG twice, the first time being told that if I can adjust the sights to be on target, then it is fine.

(Shaking his head) It may have been touted as a "more sophisticated" version of the AK, but that's downright silly on a $1,000 rifle.
June 24, 2017, 11:48 AM
quantum13
Yes! So glad to see other owners still are on board.

I have the matched set of 556 and 522 SWAT rifles. i even got an ACOG and a mini-ACOG for the 556 and 522, respectively, to further the 'twin' theme.

I know they are earlier production and may still have some of the earlier issues (the 522 still has the old bolt/guide rod with the e-clip) but i have not had any problems with regard to failures or breakdowns.

The main issue I had with my 556 was that the machining was such that the rifle was very hard to disassemble and get back together. A little sandpaper fixed that.

i admit I haven't shot them much recently but I find them very nice to shoot, especially with Art's triggers installed.

Given the age of that setup, is there anything i should know or be prepared for? like get the right guide rod for the 522, for example?

EDIT: I was reminded of an issue by re-reading a post above...I had to send in my 556 due to a gas block that was so canted I couldn't use the irons. it was reinstalled and is now better but still canted. The sight is all the way off to one side but at least i can sight it in. I'm not super happy with Sig's half-hearted repair but i still really do like the rifle.
July 16, 2017, 08:51 PM
Ian Douglas
Hello all,

I am cleaning up two 556 SCM's now that I got in 2008 (marriage, kids, divorce got in he way.) I put SIG diopters on one and Samson flip ups on the other. Both have Magpul MOE fixed carbine stocks and Hogue grips, which are a great ergonomic combination. I have the SIG 55x forend on one and will soon have the same on the other. What other upgrades should I look for? I am looking for an extended magazine release.

Now to get them to the range and hope I don't encounter any functional issues that others have...

Ian

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ian Douglas,

"Once is happenstance, twice is coincidence, three times is enemy action." - Ian Fleming
July 16, 2017, 09:11 PM
Sig209
quote:
Originally posted by mark_a:
Still have my swat and 5.56 pistol. The pistol goes on every road trip with me which means it is on the road every week.

Mark

Wish I had picked up a 556 pistol back in the day.

Oh well.

-----------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.
July 17, 2017, 05:15 PM
Dyingtime
Nice collection, I have the 556 xi and love it

" The Road goes on forever and the Party never ends"
July 18, 2017, 09:46 PM
Slippery Pete
Still going strong.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/
January 15, 2018, 10:17 PM
aramos1322
[IMG:left] [/IMG]
January 15, 2018, 10:43 PM
DSgrouse
quote:
Originally posted by aramos1322:
[IMG:left] [/IMG]

I miss the 556 patrol swat I had. I had to sell it when i moved to CT. Then after I moved to VA I picked up a 556R.
January 15, 2018, 11:24 PM
Abn556
I’ve still got a 1st gen with a real low serial # that I shoot a few times a year. Mine runs great with everything, but loves heavier weight bullets.
January 16, 2018, 10:21 AM
samnev
Still have my early SIG 556 SN 3xxx. Changed the butt sick to a magpul ctr, the hand guards to Swiss 551 hand guards. Installed a fold down front sight and an ARMS rear sight. Made it a much better handling carbine. Only let down either wth tailored hand loads or fgmm 69 grain ammo and 4x TA31F scope than a Nightforce nxs 2-10x scope could never get 5 shot groups consistently under 2moa. Confused

This message has been edited. Last edited by: samnev,
January 16, 2018, 11:49 AM
kimberkid
quote:
Originally posted by samnev:
Still have my early SIG 556 SN 3xxx. Changed the but sick to a magpul car, the hand guards to Swiss style hand guards switched to the classic hand guards. Installed a fold down front sight and an ARMS rear sight. Made it a much better handling carbine. Only let down either wth tailored hand loads or fgmm 59 grain ammo and 4x TA31F scope than a Nightforce nxs 2-10x scope could never get 5 shot groups consistently under 2moa. Confused

I've got a SN 108x that I had done pretty much the same thing to, then when I bought a 2nd gen I put the "old one" back to stock ... except it still has the MagPul trigger guard. I seem to remember it shot pretty around 1.25" with both 55's and 69's

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink
January 16, 2018, 09:21 PM
Steve 22X
Have a Gen 2 556R and a 522.
Both been great rifles just hoping nothing breaks on them.

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve
The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward