SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    6.8spc and 6.5grendel ammo cost & availability
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.8spc and 6.5grendel ammo cost & availability Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I’m relatively new to the grendel as well but overall I’m happy I made the choice. I have a 12” sbr and a 20” rifle. Using American gunner 123 grain from hornady I get around 2250 out of the Sbr and 2500 from the rifle. Working on load development right now using 8208 xbr and nosler 123’s that should get me right around those figures. The sbr is a handy little package that sends out very efficient Bullets with AK-rifle type muzzle energy that is retained much further. Only downside as far as I’m concerned is the need for separate mags so figure that into your cost as well.

Posts: 239 | Location: The Great Salt Lake | Registered: November 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
A barrel is the heart of a firearm. A cheap barrel is a huge gamble in a rifle's performance, and it appears your gamble wasn't good. A quality barrel -- and the accuracy it produces -- makes a rifle more enjoyable to shoot.

Couldn't agree more. I made a poor decision there in the interest of frugality, and ended up paying the price. Now it's going to end up costing me more. If I decide to stick with the 6.5 I'll likely go with a longer barrel to wring the most out of the cartridge. It'll add a few ounces out front, but I imagine it'll be worth it.

Posts: 8543 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ed308
posted Hide Post
When I picked my first 6.8 over the 6.5 Grendel and 300 Blackout in 2012, I did so based on a better selection of bullets compared to the Grendel and better performance compared to the Blackout. I liked that the you didn't loose much in performance by going with a shorter barrel too. I still feel that way today. Hard to beat to a 12" to 16" 6.8 for a hunting. And they work just as well with a suppressor. Ammo is easy to find and reasonable priced. But since I reload, it doesn't really matter to me.

If shooting paper, I might pick the 6.5 Grendel over the 6.8. But if we're honest here, the performance between is very close. I use .223, 6.5 CM or .224 Valkyrie for punching paper. The 6.5 Grendel does have cheap steel case ammo available. But I'm not shooting that ammo out of any AR that I really care about.

Regarding bolt breakage with a 6.8, not very common compared to 6.5 Grendel based on the design. I've only heard of a couple of 6.8 bolts breaking. (If worried a 6.8 bolt breaking, go with a ARP 6.8 Superbolt.) And with quality mags like PRI, feeding is rarely a problem.

OP: if you go with the 6.8, then consider the AR15 Performance's 6.8 barrels. Harrison's barrels are reasonable priced and group great. Every barrel I've purchased from ARP shoots 1/2" groups at 100 yards. And I've got ARP's barrels in .223 Wylde, TAC6 (6mm wildcat), 270AR (6.5x47 Lapua wildcat), 6.5 Creedmoor and .308. My ARP barrels group as well or better than other barrels I have from from PSA, LWRC, Colt, and DPMS. Another thing I like about ARP barrels, working up an accurate load is easy since there's some much load data online for ARP's barrels.

Posts: 605 | Location: DFW Area | Registered: January 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Regarding bolt breakage with a 6.8, not very common compared to 6.5 Grendel based on the design. I've only heard of a couple of 6.8 bolts breaking. (If worried a 6.8 bolt breaking, go with a ARP 6.8 Superbolt.) And with quality mags like PRI, feeding is rarely a problem.

OT, but FWIW these are the things that keep bringing me back to the idea of getting a 6.8 carbine rather than trying to figure out which way to go in investing in a 6.5 Grendel AR. I have a couple of 7.62x39 carbines that I really like, and I confess to wanting a little bit more than I would get from a 5.56 in the same sized package. I've never heard of 6.8 bolts breaking and PRI has most certainly solved the "reasonable capacity" magazine problem better than anyone has yet for the 6.5 Grendel.

OTOH, I do like CProducts Defense's 28-round 7.62x39 AR mags, so maybe their similar-capacity 6.5 AR mags are just fine? I guess I just have marginally more faith in PRI's mags (I've been shooting a DPMS/Stag "sorta hybrid" with a 20" barrel) than I do in CPD's mags.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
My understanding is that the Alexander Arms (E-Lander) mags are the way to go for Grendel AR’s.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ed308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
OT, but FWIW these are the things that keep bringing me back to the idea of getting a 6.8 carbine rather than trying to figure out which way to go in investing in a 6.5 Grendel AR.

The reason bolts break with the 6.5 Grendel is the larger hole for the rim of the cartridge in the bolt. When the diameter of the hole is larger, the walls of of the bolt are thinner have less strength to resist breakage. The 6.8 bolt is thicker in that area of the bolt. If you shoot factory ammo, you'll probably never have a problem unless your bolt is junk to begin with. But If you reload 6.5 Grendel, best not to push the cartridge past the recommended pressures. With the 6.8, you can push past the recommended pressure, not have a problem and increase the performance of the cartridge.

Posts: 605 | Location: DFW Area | Registered: January 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^^ Well, I've gotta admit that my experience is with the 7.62x39 and I don't think anyone's ever really bothered to push the performance envelope with that cartridge in an AR. That seems (at least to me) to be a more tempting proposition with the 6.5 Grendel, though - people certainly seem to be loading it hotter for bolt action rifles.

I'm stacking long shots on top of long shots here, but now that Zastava is setting up a Zastava USA I have some fond hopes that we'll see their new M21 in 6.5 here at some point in the next few years. Maybe that'll be the better way to go with that cartridge in an EBR.

dry-fly, I'd heard about E-Landers and I know they've got a good rep for their 5.56 mags, but I guess I'm still waiting to hear more about them as they get more competition. I'm kinda stunned that there just don't seem to be that many players in the 6.5 Grendel AR magazine market.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Am a 6.8 fan for hunting. A 1 8" & 2x20" & a 22" in AR platform and a Rem 700 bolt

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: February 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
Finally, am I remembering correctly that the Army finally picked a new rifle chambered in 6.8 to replace the M4, etc? What do y’all think this will do to 6.8 ammo pricing? https://www.tactical-life.com/...-8mm-weapon-systems/
I wouldn't make any decisions based on a military announcement on a M-4 replacement. They have announced and cancelled this many times since 9/11. Maybe this will be the one that isn't cancelled, but I'm not holding my breath.

Word.

In 1932 the Army was going to adopt a .276 caliber rifle, so this has been going on for a while. Turned out they modified the 10 shot John C. Garand designed .276 rifle to fire .30-06 because they already had the cartridge in stock, and the US M1 rifle was the result (mag capacity reduced to 8).

Also the modular pistol (now the m17) was not going to be a 9mm... How did that work out?

"I don't own the night, I only operate a small franchise" - Author unknown

Posts: 2447 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JPD217
posted Hide Post
I apologize if this is too much of a thread drift.
I've been shooting bolt guns since the early 80's, finally built my first AR last spring in 5.56.
I am looking at an upper build that I can use on my current lower, first thought was 6.5 Grendel, but I'm also looking at 224 Valkyrie. I want this for hunting varmints and deer as well as shooting paper and steel out to 1000. Of these two, which would better suit what I want to do?

Posts: 2585 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: August 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JPD217:
... first thought was 6.5 Grendel, but I'm also looking at 224 Valkyrie. I want this for hunting varmints and deer as well as shooting paper and steel out to 1000. Of these two, which would better suit what I want to do?
Grendel for deer. Much more energy at every distance plus approx 7 states require .24 caliber or larger for deer.

Both work at 1000 yds, but Valkyrie would be better:

Besides, why buy one caliber when you can buy two calibers for twice the cost? It's the rifle subforum's unofficial motto Wink

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JPD217:
...finally built my first AR last spring in 5.56.
I am looking at an upper build that I can use on my current lower, first thought was 6.5 Grendel, but I'm also looking at 224 Valkyrie.

I want this for hunting varmints and deer as well as shooting paper and steel out to 1000.

Varmints -- any of the three will do, but your current 5.56 should be just fine.

Deer -- As noted previously, the 223 bore size is an issue in some states. The Grendel's additional powder capacity,the efficiency of a larger bore, and a heavier bullet all combine to being the best hunting chamber of the three. For hunting applications, also consider the 6.8 SPC.

Steel to 1,000 yards -- Problems with each of the calibers:
-- bullet drop -- bad with both 223 and Grendel
-- wind drift -- bad with 223, not really all that great with Valkyrie and Grendel
-- energy on steel, which becomes a issue in competition, where having the RO see moving steel to score a hit -- really bad with 223, pretty bad with Valkyrie, nothing to write home about with Grendel

IMO anything from an AR-15 is inadequate for reliable 1000 yard steel shooting. Oh sure -- go to high altitude, use big plates, shoot in minimal breezes, ignore impact locations on steel -- and AR-15 calibers work. For many of us there's a difference between lobbing rounds out for an occasional "ting" and consistent precision impacts.

I've shot in enough steel competitions with ARs to know that typical field conditions mean that even 600 yards on a 12" (2 MOA) target isn't a high percentage shot. And that's with ARs capable of 1/2" groups at 100 yards.....the webz keyboard commando's "sub MOA, all day long, when I do my part" uber rifle. Furthermore, let's not forget that vast majority of shooters just flat out don't have the skills to shoot an AR consistently with great accuracy.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ed308:
When I picked my first 6.8 over the 6.5 Grendel and 300 Blackout in 2012, I did so based on a better selection of bullets compared to the Grendel and better performance compared to the Blackout. I liked that the you didn't loose much in performance by going with a shorter barrel too. I still feel that way today. Hard to beat to a 12" to 16" 6.8 for a hunting. And they work just as well with a suppressor. Ammo is easy to find and reasonable priced. But since I reload, it doesn't really matter to me.

If shooting paper, I might pick the 6.5 Grendel over the 6.8. But if we're honest here, the performance between is very close. I use .223, 6.5 CM or .224 Valkyrie for punching paper. The 6.5 Grendel does have cheap steel case ammo available. But I'm not shooting that ammo out of any AR that I really care about.

OP: if you go with the 6.8, then consider the AR15 Performance's 6.8 barrels. Harrison's barrels are reasonable priced and group great. Every barrel I've purchased from ARP shoots 1/2" groups at 100 yards. And I've got ARP's barrels in .223 Wylde, TAC6 (6mm wildcat), 270AR (6.5x47 Lapua wildcat), 6.5 Creedmoor and .308. My ARP barrels group as well or better than other barrels I have from from PSA, LWRC, Colt, and DPMS. Another thing I like about ARP barrels, working up an accurate load is easy since there's some much load data online for ARP's barrels.

I will second everything Ed said here ^^. My experience with ARP 6.8 SPC barrels & bolts made me a believer. In fact, my custom built 16" 6.8 SPC was my very first AR15. I normally group 0.5 MOA with this rifle and on my better days can maintain 0.3 MOA. I am NOT a precision marksman. The gun just works.

I will admit magazines have been a sore spot with me. I have modified 3 ASC mags to run 100% consistent, but I have 3 more to modify and frankly it is a hassle to get them right. I will have to try the PRI.

For pistol length barrels, the 6.8 is better than the 6.5G. I built a pistol using a Bison Armory 8.5" barrel and a JP Bolt after the rifle. The set-up runs well and is reasonably accurate (<1.5 MOA) based on very limited accuracy testing. Accuracy is not a big concern with this package.

I only run Federal ammo. I have heard everything else except Remington (ironic) is good to go.

Posts: 2033 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JPD217
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:

Varmints -- any of the three will do, but your current 5.56 should be just fine.

Deer -- As noted previously, the 223 bore size is an issue in some states. The Grendel's additional powder capacity,the efficiency of a larger bore, and a heavier bullet all combine to being the best hunting chamber of the three. For hunting applications, also consider the 6.8 SPC.

Steel to 1,000 yards -- Problems with each of the calibers:
-- bullet drop -- bad with both 223 and Grendel
-- wind drift -- bad with 223, not really all that great with Valkyrie and Grendel
-- energy on steel, which becomes a issue in competition, where having the RO see moving steel to score a hit -- really bad with 223, pretty bad with Valkyrie, nothing to write home about with Grendel

IMO anything from an AR-15 is inadequate for reliable 1000 yard steel shooting. Oh sure -- go to high altitude, use big plates, shoot in minimal breezes, ignore impact locations on steel -- and AR-15 calibers work. For many of us there's a difference between lobbing rounds out for an occasional "ting" and consistent precision impacts.

I've shot in enough steel competitions with ARs to know that typical field conditions mean that even 600 yards on a 12" (2 MOA) target isn't a high percentage shot. And that's with ARs capable of 1/2" groups at 100 yards.....the webz keyboard commando's "sub MOA, all day long, when I do my part" uber rifle. Furthermore, let's not forget that vast majority of shooters just flat out don't have the skills to shoot an AR consistently with great accuracy.

223 bore for deer here in ND is OK, figured the heavier 90 grain bullet from the Valkyrie "might" be ok, but I understand the larger bore, heavier bullet being better for deer thing which is why my first thought was the 6.5. Was just having a hard time deciding cause the Valkyrie ballistics look so good.

I don't shoot competition with rifles, when I want to be serious about hitting targets at 1000 I'll use the 308 or 300WM, but thought it might be fun to plink at 1000 yard targets with the AR, that and deer out to about 300-400.

Anyway, I guess I got my confirmation that I was thinking correctly in that the 6.5 will likely suit what I want to do better than the Valkyrie.

Thanks!

Posts: 2585 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: August 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post