SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    New Tommy guns: Buy or avoid?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Tommy guns: Buy or avoid? Login/Join 
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted
Hey all-

I have always wanted a Tommy gun. I see the new offerings from Auto Ordnance (Kahr?) and am wondering how they stack up. Is the quality decent enough for a reliable range toy?

Also, I see a bunch of different models, including "lightweight" with aluminum receivers! I don't doubt that aluminum can stand up to the abuse but it seems like a weird choice for a version of the "Chicago Typewriter".

What say you? Who has bought/shot a new example?

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
Also, I see a bunch of different models, including "lightweight" with aluminum receivers! I don't doubt that aluminum can stand up to the abuse but it seems like a weird choice for a version of the "Chicago Typewriter".

I haven't shot one, so I can't help you there, but I will say that while aluminum receivers certainly aren't traditional, I can see the appeal. By modern standards, Tommy guns are absurdly heavy, it's a .45 sub gun that weighs as much as a .308 AR-10.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I bought an Auto Ordnance a few months ago as a gift to an old friend.
I bought a deluxe version with a fancy walnut stock and "normal" lenght barrel, with a drum and stick magazine.
He really enjoys shooting it and so does every body he is shooting near, they all welcome his invitation to shoot it along with there kids that are shooting with them.
Never a problem with function.

Posts: 4609 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
RNshooter,

The Tommy Gun is my favorite gun of all time. About 3 years ago I bought one of the Auto Ordnance/Kahr Tommy Guns (1927A1 version.)

It was used but in excellent condition when I got it. I fired it one time and hated it for 2 reasons.

1. The firing pin fell out of the bolt (IIRC the bolt had broken) and I had to buy a new bolt and it was around $125.

2. The gun was HEAVY. Around 12# empty. With a fully loaded mag it was around 14#.

I sold it at a gunshow after putting the new bolt in it. Luckily I only lost about $200 on the deal.

I still love the Tommy Gun but will never buy one again; at least the newer version from AO/Kahr.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
I've sold about 30 of them in the past 4 years,

had 0 returned or sent back for repairs,

most were the 1927A1 with drum and stick, a few were the M1 model,

they are heavy
fit and finish was generally good, but I did have to tighten the stock screws on a few,

since they are closed bolt, and did not have a bolt hold open, it took some finesse to insert a drum mag ,

only complaint I heard from customers is that spares (mags, drums accessories etc) are expensive if you order thru Auto Ord

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
AO's Thompsons, as well as their M1 Carbines, are known for their hit-or-miss quality/reliability.

Posts: 32432 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Look very cool.

Heavy as foook.

Pass, just splurge at Battlefield Vegas to shoot the real thing!!!

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
RNshooter,

Drop me an email if you like, a bit too much in details to go into here.

If you do decide to purchase one
(a) get a new one. don't buy used unless you can abide by the next three lines.
(b) understand that they only have a one year warranty and it only covers the original purchaser.
(c) if you have an issue after the warranty do not expect any factory assistance.
(d) replacement parts like firing pin,extractor,bolt can be spotty. at times you will wait for them.

They are fun to shoot and attract a lot of attention.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8067 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
When # 2 son was in bagdad he got the urge for one and I found a used one for him
Heavy as hell,with the drum.not bad with the sticks.Semi was a let down .Was beautiful compared to clunker I had shot in the Navy

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They are super heavy for a semi-auto. I've shot full auto ones and you don't notice the weight because it helps keep the barrel from rising too much. However, a semi auto version I would pass on personally as they're too heavy (especially with a full drum!) and not enjoyable to shoot too long. Although could see the aluminum receiver version intriguing.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
By modern standards, Tommy guns are absurdly heavy, it's a .45 sub gun that weighs as much as a .308 AR-10.

This was my reaction when I held one.

Ooof was it heavy. Keep in mind this is coming from a guy who likes using an 11lb rifle for 3-gun. I am not an 'ultralight or bust' guy.

Probably nice if you are ripping through a drum on full auto.

Semi-auto? Pass. Get a CMMG Banshee AR in 45 ACP.

Unless you just really dig the look of the Tommy Gun and don't care how awkward it is to shoot.

The version I handled felt REALLY unbalanced.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a M1 version I bought new about 5 years ago. I have about 1,000 rounds through her. Maybe a hundred rounds were factory ball the ref my reloads consisting of lead and plated bullets. The only problem I have had is making sure you pull the charging handle back far enough to chamber a round. Otherwise has ran like a champ.

It is a heavy girl to be sure and long in the stock. I have shorter arms w/ a barrel chest I just wish the stock was about 1 inch shorter. Have always thought about get an original barrel and SBR’ing it.

Good luck in your decision.

Posts: 4028 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
I'm with the guy who said rent a full auto in Vegas. I've done it, as it was a bucket list item for me, and it was a blast.

To own one though, not so much. I'd rather let it collect dust on their shelf when I'm not shooting it.

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of samnev
posted Hide Post
I had one.Firing pin broke 2x under warranty. Sold it and never looked back. Pass on it.

Posts: 1836 | Location: Arizona | Registered: June 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
Every kid who grew up in the '60s watching Combat, Twelve O'Clock High, and Rat Patrol on TV wanted a Thompson machine gun (and an MP40). I'm no different. About 15 years ago I stumbled on an Auto Ordnance 1928 Thompson. I was only interested in shooting, not collecting classic Tommy guns. This cheapo AOC '28 Thompson fit the bill nicely. As was pointed out above, the quality of AOC weapons was so-so. Over time I replaced most of the internals with WWII produced Thompson parts. The end result is very nice and reliable weapon.

The weapon itself is very heavy especially when you add the weight of a loaded 50 round drum. But it is accurate, very controllable, and reliable.

All the work performed on it was done by Paul Krogh of Diamond K in Delta, Colorado. Paul's workmanship is well known in the Thompson community. I asked Paul to stamp his marking on my '28 to document his work so there would no question on who worked on it.

The funnest thing I did was to have Paul fit a BDM .22lr Thompson conversion kit. The ROF of the .22lr conversion is very slow, around 600 rpm. It is 100% reliable and runs very clean. That's one of the benefits of an open bolt gun. I can shoot over 2000 rounds of .22lr ammo before anything needs to be cleaned. It is truly a blast to shoot a full auto .22lr '28 Thompson.

“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.”
– Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

Posts: 2184 | Location: Austin Texas USA | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How neat, I didn't know there was such a thing.
I have shot a M16 .22 LR and it was fun when it ran but would seldom complete a magazine dump.

I know a guy who had a 10/22 full auto suppressed. That is a cute little thing.

Posts: 3278 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
All this Tommy gun talk makes me think of Albert Finney in the movie "Miller's Crossing".

The "Danny Boy" Tommy gun scene is a classic...

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Bruce,

Curious, what way did you decide to go?

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8067 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine is fun to shoot when it runs. Works best with the HEAVY drum magazines. I haven't broken a firing pin yet but I sure wish my rear sight hadn't fallen off. I'm going to have to get it TIG welded on.

Fun gun but mediocre quality.........dj

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:
Bruce,

Curious, what way did you decide to go?

I've been wondering the same thing as well. He started this thread on Jan 22, but hasn't been back to post since Confused

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post