SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    New Hunting Rifle.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Hunting Rifle. Login/Join 
posted
Looking to get a new hunting rifle.
Have a 308 now. Thinking of going 7mm08. Maybe 243.
The rifle I use know is a family heirloom. It's getting some scrapes which is fine but I would like to keep it nice. I'm leaving it too family.
Plus it is a heavy rifle. FN commercial 98 Mauser action, Mannlicher stock.
I want something lighter. And something I don't have to worry about scratching.
I have already purchased a scope Leupold VX3i. 3.5-10X40
At first I was thinking. 308 so they both share ammo.

Question:
What rifle to purchase

Choices:
Tikka T3x stainless
Kimber 84 Hunter
Savage lightweight hunter

Posts: 247 | Registered: March 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What are you going to hunt with it ?

Posts: 128 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
A thirty caliber hunting rifle is a great thing in my book. But a .243 is such a joy to shoot and is very versatile.
I also like the 7mm in a long action hunting rifle.

In a new rifle it is hard to beat a Tikka for the $.

I am not a savage guy and Kimbers are more $ and can be bit hit and miss on out of box accuracy from what I have read. Don't own one though.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19160 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
The best gun for the money in my opinion is a Tikka T3. I've had nothing but great results out of the ones I have owned. 308 will do anything you ask of it within reason. Don't see where you are hunting, but if you are already using a 308 with good results, I don't see why you couldn't continue to use a 308.

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
I chose tikka given your options.

As for caliber, I'd stick with the 308. You didn't share what you are hunting with it...but that round is so versatile, it almost doesn't even matter.

All my hunting guns are stainless, for really good reasons. Good choice on the optics. I've been beating my M70 classic stainless boss around in the woods with a Vx2 3-9x40 for 15 years now. It holds zero without fail, and fires accurately and flawlessly every time. Mine is chambered in 300WM, but I probably hunt larger, more dangerous game than you do...at generally farther distances. Currently, I wouldn't buy a modern winchester, they don't make them like they used to. I've never warmed up to remington, despite having tried twice. The Tikka is a fine choice, very popular in my neck of the woods.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13951 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hunt in northern Missouri. Deer are big.
Rifle would be used for deer or pigs.
Thoughts on going 7mm mag?

Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't go larger than a 308 for your intended use. I like a 20" barrel when carrying in tighter cover.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
As I said, I like the 7mm. "The great American rifle cartridge".

It has a wide range of bullet weights. Shoots flat, hits hard. Some don't like the recoil. Does not both me.

It has spawned many niche cartridges. But I am good with the ole' fashioned one.

I am not saying it is the best, but darned good in my book.

Maybe a bit overkill for your purpose's, but probably not.

Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I like the 7mm too, usually in a smaller chambering though. My favorite being the 284 Winchester. I have a compact 7mm-08 too. The ballistics in both are very similar.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
Wendy has a Browning 7mm08 that is a tack driver. A friend of ours has a Savage in 7mm08 and it's a tack driver so given a cheaper rifle and a better one and both are on the money I say it must be the caliber. I vote 7mm08 in the best rifle you can afford. IMHO Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I think 7-08 is more versatile than .243. I have a .243 Tikka and like it, but it is a pretty small bullet; definitely a light game round, not an all around game round. You already have .308 and at hunting ranges, the 7-08 will be nearly indistinguishable from .308. The choice there is simply do you want another caliber or not. The deer won't be able to tell the difference. I would stay away from Magnums of all stripes. At normal hunting distances in the lower 48, I think that they are a waste of money, shoulder, powder and weight. Unless you plan to be reaching out more than 400 yards, I believe they are overkill.

A for the rifle; you have a pretty broad spectrum of things to consider between a Kimber on the high end and a Savage much cheaper, and have left out some nice ones in your price range.

The first thing to figure is do you want a utility gun, or something that will become another family heirloom. That decision should set your price range for you. Then pick the gun.

I'm going to go against the SF grain a bit on the Tikka. I have a T3 Hunter with a wood stock, and I like it. It is smooth, light and fabulously accurate. I have it primarily because I wanted a .243 and it was cheap in a local pawn shop. When Tikka first became widely available in the US, they were very reasonably priced. Because of good performance and a lot of internet support from boards, they "found their price" which is a lot higher than it used to be. As such, they command a price point consistent with more nicely built rifles. Tikka street prices are often within spitting distance of the Winchester 70 or Ruger Hawkeye prices. Both the Win and the Ruger are controlled round feed, three position safety, more elegantly fitted guns than the Tikka. They are more comparable to the Kimber than they are to the Tikka, and are getting into "leave this one to my kids" territory.

The fit, finish and materials of the Tikka (push feed, plunger ejector, pressed checkering, plastic removable magazine, two position safety) are to my mind much closer to the Savage or Ruger American, both of which have fantastic reputations for accuracy and are significantly cheaper than the Tikka. So while I like the Tikka and am happy with mine, I think that new ones are priced at a premium due to reputation, not inherent value.

I'm not trying to diss the Tikka, just give my observations. If you are interested in a new rifle at the Kimber price point, I would also take a hard look at the new Winchester 70 (the Featherweight in .243 is particularly nice), the Ruger 77 Hawkeye and the Sako. The Brownings are also nice, but the shrouded bolt is a bit odd, and it's a two position safety. If you decide on the Tikka or Savage, you might consider looking at the Ruger American as well.

Of the rifles you have listed I would go with the Kimber if it was in the budget. I have looked at them and they are really nicely made guns.

As you can probably tell from this post, I like hunting rifles, and think that they should be a bit "special".

Good luck. A nice hunting rifle is a thing of beauty, and a joy to shoot.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by leaveraction jackson:
I hunt in northern Missouri. Deer are big.
Rifle would be used for deer or pigs.
Thoughts on going 7mm mag?

Totally unnecessary. Even big deer are not hard to kill.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm a big fan of kimber rifles, my go to is a montana in 308 and with the scope it comes in at 6lbs. I've found d it to be quite accurate and great to carry around.

You could also check out the Barrett fieldcraft if you want to spend a little more.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good replies guys I appreciate all input.
I have thought about M70 compact lightweight but I really want stainless.

My first choice at the beginning was the Savage lightweight.
But then I have read several times that their synthetic stock is a pos.
So the rifle is around 600 with shit stock.
Boyds stock is lets say 175.00
B&C stock 200.00 plus
That's what turned me off from the savage.
They should offer a nice thin laminate stock.
I have Handled the Kimber hunter and really liked it.
I have read so many stories about them being not as accurate as Kimber says they are.

Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
The new Tikka T3x superlite. exclusive to sportsman warehouse and cabela's is very nice. fluted barrel, up graded stock and a few other minor differences from the earlier T3's in stainless is $750.
None of the issue's you mentioned on the two others. Easy choice.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by leaveraction jackson:
Good replies guys I appreciate all input.
I have thought about M70 compact lightweight but I really want stainless.

My first choice at the beginning was the Savage lightweight.
But then I have read several times that their synthetic stock is a pos.
So the rifle is around 600 with shit stock.
Boyds stock is lets say 175.00
B&C stock 200.00 plus
That's what turned me off from the savage.
They should offer a nice thin laminate stock.
I have Handled the Kimber hunter and really liked it.
I have read so many stories about them being not as accurate as Kimber says they are.

I've not had any accuracy issues with my kimber. Lightweight rifles can take some getting used to and probably aren't the best choice for those who want to shoot tiny groups all day long.

You might also check out the weatherby vanguard backcountry, that's a nice gun for the $$$ or a Winchester 70 extreme conditions although it's not a light weight gun really.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Have so far only had it at the range, but very happy with my T3x Lite Stainless in .270 that I got in December.

Edit: Mine weighed in at 6lb 3.2oz right out of the box and 8lb 1.8oz with rings and a Nikon Monarch 4-20x50 scope.
Recoil wasn't an issue for me after 2 boxes at the range.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: P250UA5,

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15287 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
This is my buddies T3 Laminated Stainless in 270 Win. It's a sweet rifle and has displayed the typical excellent Tikka accuracy shooting Hornady 145 grain ELD-X Precision Hunter ammo. It weighed 6.8lbs right out of the box and the recoil with the 270 Win has been surprisingly mild. I have typically picked .308 over .270 but this rifle has certainly been impressive.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ruger American in 7mm-08. Put the money that you saved by not buying something more expensive into better optics.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3526 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mr. Peteroniman
posted Hide Post
i have been very pleased with my Savage in .243
all of the hunters in my immediate family have killed a deer with it

that being said 3 of them are girls and they rock, paper, scissors over it - if more than 1 of them goes out with me

I got a Browning in 270 last year (that one was for me) but I am thinking about getting another Savage (243) for the girls - this time a stainless barrel

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed.
For after all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog.”
― Charles M. Schulz

Posts: 2012 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: June 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post