SIGforum
Differences in Benelli shotguns M2, M3, M4, etc ...

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/630601935/m/7370074364

November 22, 2019, 06:04 PM
T.Webb
Differences in Benelli shotguns M2, M3, M4, etc ...
Can anyone explain the differences between the older Benelli M2, M3, M4 etc ...

"Tonight, we are a country awakened to danger and called to defend freedom. Our grief has turned to anger and anger to resolution. Whether we bring our enemies to justice or bring justice to our enemies, justice will be done". {George W. Bush, Post 9/11}

November 22, 2019, 06:32 PM
RogueJSK
quote:
Originally posted by T.Webb:

M2 = recoil/inertia-operated semiauto
M3 = recoil/inertia-operated semiauto with additional pump-action capability
M4 = gas-operated semiauto
November 22, 2019, 07:02 PM
IndianaBoy
The M2 is the dominant shotgun in some of the action shooting sports like 3-gun.

Very reliable. Stands up to tremendously high round counts very well. Light weight. Simple in a good way.

I used to use gas operated shotguns. Now that I went inertia I don't think I will ever go back.
November 22, 2019, 07:31 PM
Rustpot
There's also the M1, which is the older version of the M2.

And the SuperBlackEagle, which is the magnum hunting shotgun, also recoil operated semi.

The M2 is the only one you mentioned that's a widespread civilian model. Has been available in several hunting, sporting, tactical varieties over the years it was offered. Probably has the most variety, aftermarket parts support, factory parts support, etc.

The M3 doesn't have many variants. Was marketed at police by being able to also manually cycle low powered less-lethal loads that give semis trouble. Not as common, or as much aftermarket support for it as other models.

M4 has the added collapsible stock capability from not needing the stock for the interia recoil system. Was a military contract gun originally, thus the deviation from Benelli's interia system.
November 24, 2019, 06:41 AM
burnetma
Side note:
The gas operating system from the M4 is also shared with the R1 hunting rifle available in 30.06, 308, 300 WM, and 338 WM. The practical result is a very effective light weight (7.2 lbs) low recoil semi automatic rifle that does not run a foul with any state gun laws.

Mine is very reliable, rugged, and reasonably accurate (1.25-1.5 groups at 100), but is extremely ammo sensitive requiring 165 gr Federal to obtain that level of accuracy. The rifle with 180 gr Winchester exhibited 6" plus size groups. Various 150 gr loadings ranged from 2" to 3" group sizes.
November 24, 2019, 11:04 PM
old rugged cross
I have always wanted an M2 Wink

"Practice like you want to play in the game"
November 25, 2019, 03:20 PM
cas
quote:

And $500 to $1000 Big Grin

November 25, 2019, 08:24 PM
MattW
Nothing to really add other than the M4 certainly has a “cool” factor. I opted for the M2, as little as a shoot it, the M4 wasn’t worth the entrance fee. My M2 has been flawless and I pity the fool who would be on the other end.
November 26, 2019, 12:14 PM
gw3971
quote:
Originally posted by MattW:
Nothing to really add other than the M4 certainly has a “cool” factor. I opted for the M2, as little as a shoot it, the M4 wasn’t worth the entrance fee. My M2 has been flawless and I pity the fool who would be on the other end.

^^^^^What he said!
November 30, 2019, 02:16 AM
bubbatime
I agree with the sentiment above.

My M2 Tactical is gang busters. Its so fast, 100% reliable, so much lead down range so quickly. I too, pity the fool(s), on the other end.

November 30, 2019, 08:46 PM
IndianaBoy
quote:

Some M2 shotgun action.

https://youtu.be/z2FttseY-Co
November 30, 2019, 10:52 PM
cas
My M2 is one gun that has been a joy to own and use, and I have not regretted buying it for one second.

My second one I don't regret either, other than paying way too much money.

My third one I regret because it's exactly like my second one and I really don't need it. lol

November 30, 2019, 10:59 PM
parabellum
My 1988 prooduction M1 is the balls.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023
December 01, 2019, 01:30 AM
bolo4tom
ive got a M4S90 11707 and an M1S90. love them both but the M4 is a joy to shoot.