SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Differences in Benelli shotguns M2, M3, M4, etc ...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Differences in Benelli shotguns M2, M3, M4, etc ... Login/Join 
Picture of T.Webb
posted
Can anyone explain the differences between the older Benelli M2, M3, M4 etc ...

"Tonight, we are a country awakened to danger and called to defend freedom. Our grief has turned to anger and anger to resolution. Whether we bring our enemies to justice or bring justice to our enemies, justice will be done". {George W. Bush, Post 9/11}

Posts: 842 | Location: Long Island, N.Y. / Stephentown, N.Y. | Registered: March 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by T.Webb:

M2 = recoil/inertia-operated semiauto
M3 = recoil/inertia-operated semiauto with additional pump-action capability
M4 = gas-operated semiauto

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
The M2 is the dominant shotgun in some of the action shooting sports like 3-gun.

Very reliable. Stands up to tremendously high round counts very well. Light weight. Simple in a good way.

I used to use gas operated shotguns. Now that I went inertia I don't think I will ever go back.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
There's also the M1, which is the older version of the M2.

And the SuperBlackEagle, which is the magnum hunting shotgun, also recoil operated semi.

The M2 is the only one you mentioned that's a widespread civilian model. Has been available in several hunting, sporting, tactical varieties over the years it was offered. Probably has the most variety, aftermarket parts support, factory parts support, etc.

The M3 doesn't have many variants. Was marketed at police by being able to also manually cycle low powered less-lethal loads that give semis trouble. Not as common, or as much aftermarket support for it as other models.

M4 has the added collapsible stock capability from not needing the stock for the interia recoil system. Was a military contract gun originally, thus the deviation from Benelli's interia system.

Posts: 6029 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Side note:
The gas operating system from the M4 is also shared with the R1 hunting rifle available in 30.06, 308, 300 WM, and 338 WM. The practical result is a very effective light weight (7.2 lbs) low recoil semi automatic rifle that does not run a foul with any state gun laws.

Mine is very reliable, rugged, and reasonably accurate (1.25-1.5 groups at 100), but is extremely ammo sensitive requiring 165 gr Federal to obtain that level of accuracy. The rifle with 180 gr Winchester exhibited 6" plus size groups. Various 150 gr loadings ranged from 2" to 3" group sizes.

Posts: 2032 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I have always wanted an M2 Wink

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:

And $500 to $1000 Big Grin

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nothing to really add other than the M4 certainly has a “cool” factor. I opted for the M2, as little as a shoot it, the M4 wasn’t worth the entrance fee. My M2 has been flawless and I pity the fool who would be on the other end.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MattW:
Nothing to really add other than the M4 certainly has a “cool” factor. I opted for the M2, as little as a shoot it, the M4 wasn’t worth the entrance fee. My M2 has been flawless and I pity the fool who would be on the other end.

^^^^^What he said!

Posts: 7721 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I agree with the sentiment above.

My M2 Tactical is gang busters. Its so fast, 100% reliable, so much lead down range so quickly. I too, pity the fool(s), on the other end.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:

Some M2 shotgun action.

https://youtu.be/z2FttseY-Co

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
My M2 is one gun that has been a joy to own and use, and I have not regretted buying it for one second.

My second one I don't regret either, other than paying way too much money.

My third one I regret because it's exactly like my second one and I really don't need it. lol

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
My 1988 prooduction M1 is the balls.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107258 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bolo4tom
posted Hide Post
ive got a M4S90 11707 and an M1S90. love them both but the M4 is a joy to shoot.

Posts: 404 | Registered: October 24, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post