SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    If you were only going to have one AR, what would it be?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you were only going to have one AR, what would it be? Login/Join 
Dean of Law
Picture of heavyd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kilyung:
DD Mk18 SBR

Wink

H. Dean Phillips
$99 Gun Trusts
https://nfalawyers.com

Posts: 6614 | Location: Georgia | Registered: December 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I cannot answer this question. Three ARs, minimum.

I see your three ARs and raise you five Colts:

2 6920s
2 SOCOMs
1 HBPW

Big Grin

Of course, in response to the OP's original question, the only correct answer would be a SCAR.

But naturally, I have five of those too. Wink

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LimaCharlie
posted Hide Post
I have several AR-15 and AR-10 rifles. If I could only choose one, it would be my stainless loaded Springfield M1A.

U.S. Army, Retired

Posts: 3725 | Location: Northwest Oregon | Registered: June 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If choosing 5.56:
Colt socom barrel
Colt upper
LMT standard bolt
LMT enhanced carrier
Geissele mk16 rail
Colt select-fire lower
Geissele SSA
Kahles k16i in Geissele 2.04 mount
Aimpoint T1 in Arisaka offset mount
Magpul MIAD
Magpul SL stock
Arisaka indexer
BFF vickers sling
Arisaka m600 light with potato masher head in Arisaka offset mount
DeadAir Sandman K

It fits in a Sneaky Bags large ToT courier bag with the upper and lower separated. It’s capable out to 500 yds. It’s perfection for my needs.

If choosing 308:
KAC SR-25 PC
NF ATACR 1-8 in Geissele mount
Aimpoint T1 in Arisaka offset mount
Magpul MIAD
Magpul CTR stock with thick buttpad
Arisaka indexer
BFF vickers sling
Arisaka m600 light with potato masher head in Arisaka offset mount
Surefire 762 SOCOM can
Geissele SSA

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2317 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
More of a list of requirements instead of a specific model:

16" mid-length barrel with gov't or SOCOM profile and fixed front sight base. 4150 CMV, preferably CHF, preferably chrome lined but salt bath nitriding is now a viable option. 16" avoids any need to pin the muzzle device, register the lower as an SBR, or use a pistol brace, and provides better terminal ballistics than a 14.5 with minimal effect on handling. Personally I prefer a Wylde chamber and 1:8 twist to handle any ammo available because I am not going to use tracers that need the 1:7 twist. But 5.56 1:7 is OK too.

Drop in m-lok hand guards that meet accessory needs (for me just a light, no NV lasers). Plastic or aluminum, currently I like B5 plastic, but Magpul is good too. Rails that can fasten to a standard barrel nut and fit a fixed FSB may be considered.

Why? Because this arrangement is battle proven and virtually indestructible, does not require front BUIS, and does not need a special barrel nut. It can take a significant drop onto a hard surface without damage or losing zero. Can't say that for the majority of free float rails out there.

Flash hider (no brakes) that reduces flash to insignificant levels - with suppressor QD mount if a suppressor is
owned (I don't but if I do I will standardize to the appropriate mount): AAC Blackout, Smith Vortex, Surefire, or just a plain A2. I prefer open end instead of closed.

Quality mil-spec bolt group with the correct materials, staking, and extractor spring/buffer/o-ring. Chrome lined and phosphated or nitrided to match the barrel finish.

Quality forged upper and lower (no billet). I like Aero Precision now.

Good quality small parts that meet your handedness needs - I like Radian 45/90 degree ambi safeties (set to 45) and charging handles. I also use an ambi mag catch - Norgon is preferred because it is proven and low profile.

Preferred Geissele Trigger that is Crane-approved for combat - SSA probably. Much better than mil spec and still extremely reliable. No drop in trigger housings.

7075 buffer tube with QD endplate, no cheap 6061 which is half as strong.

Preferred stock - usually Magpul but I like B5 lately.

Surefire light that can handle 18650 rechargeable lithiums and appropriate mounts to the handguard

Aimpoint COMPM5 (AAA lithium lasts forever and AAA alkaline or NiMH rechargeable are options) in Scalarworks lower 1/3 QD mount. Aimpoint 3x magnifier in Scalarworks QD mount. Low power variables are cool, but the eyebox limitations are too restricting to me for a "do all" rifle. Optics need to be fast on target and forgiving as to cheek weld and head position. Scalarworks aren't essential - LaRue or similar is OK, but the Scalarworks have the best design, and QD with no protruding levers or knobs. Usually the lever or knob is on the "wrong" side for me.

Rear BUIS that actually works with my glasses (nearsighted 3 diopters, and now - progressive which really sucks) - Magpul are best for me because there is a bigger "bezel" around the peep hole that helps avoid the entire ring ghosting out on me.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Lefty Sig,

Posts: 4700 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bolo4tom
posted Hide Post
best out there FOR THE $$$ is the Colt. not any of that 'expanse' crap either.. real deal Colts with the roll marks..ive got 8 and never had one let me down

Posts: 404 | Registered: October 24, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WARPIG602:

Awesome. Tell us more

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10907 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by coloradohunter44:
quote:
Originally posted by WARPIG602:

Awesome. Tell us more

-Daniel Defense V5S
-Surfire Scout on Haley Thorntial mount(may swap this for a Scout Pro if my other 2 hold up)
-Cloud Defensive pressure pad/cable management mount
-Geiselle SD-C
-Leupold VX6 1- with illuminated Circle Dot in Larue mount
-Troy BUIS

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
I actually only have one AR right now, this LWRC with an ACOG. I'm very happy with it.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
If just an AR-like rifle in 5.56 I would choose a 16" SCAR 16S.

If it must be an AR15 I would choose between an LWRC IC-SPR, Daniel Defense M4V7, or LWRC DI-MLOK, depending on desired price range and features.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
Well, if select-fire lowers are ok, I suppose it would be this ... only with my 4x ACOG

If necessary I could find a semi-lower that has a binary trigger in it ... it'll will shoot from belt or mag, in semi, accuracy is 1 to 1.5 moa out to 300yds which is as far as I've shot it, and surprisingly the 12" machine gun barrel is more accurate than the lite-16 it came with; at least until it gets shot out.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5705 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I cannot answer this question. Three ARs, minimum.

I’d like to see your pick for those three and the why of each one if you don’t mind.

Posts: 13740 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post